The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I suppose that ultimately it will come down to budgets, but if any more move on then that will free up wages, however I think we can all agree that at the bare minimum we require a LB, GK, & at least another who can cover FB / CH position plus either McDaid or a similar replacement.

I remember on the north terrace discussing who we'd really want to stay if we went up, we named 4, 3 out of 4 ain't bad, I've got a lovely quill and a full tank of diesel if you need it Declan.

Great news about Crawford -thought he might be the one that got away.

Think a dose of reality is needed regards the defence.  It was awful for most of last season.  As I’ve said before, for all we scored goals for fun, the turning point in our season was the signing of Bell.  For me, Higgins was largely a disappointment and I was puzzled as to why we rushed to extend his contract.  I know I’m in the minority with Rose, but I still think there has to be a step improvement in his defending, particularly from crosses and set pieces.  Clearly we need a left back and a keeper, but I would really like us to add an experienced championship standard defender.

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Well done you got one. Law of averages meant it was bound to happen at some time.

If the law of averages is every time then aye ^_^

Seems our budget is becoming quite stretched.

McCall never really said anything about McDaid other than he’s still in discussions as well as going to start talks with Ferguson and Hart.

Any rumours of any note in the AP or is it another quiet week?

Seems our budget is becoming quite stretched.

I really hope it's not. I'm delighted Rab is staying but we need to add a fair few pieces to what we had last year if we're going to be doing anything other than battling Alloa to avoid 10th place.

14 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

I really hope it's not. I'm delighted Rab is staying but we need to add a fair few pieces to what we had last year if we're going to be doing anything other than battling Alloa to avoid 10th place.

McCall said that at bare minimum we need a Gk and LB but also wants a centre back and midfield player but not sure budget will stretch to that. 

We defo need another centre back even a loan the boy McCart impressed me last year with Alloa could see Celtic loaning him out again.

If we've got Higgins, bell, and rose (and Adams as cover) then it would be essential that any defender we sign can also play fb.

4 centre backs doesn't help if we've got no cover for either side.

When folk say we need a reality check in terms of championship level - I'd suggest the same could be said about our budget.

Last time we were here we had very little going forward and consequently our defence was constantly under pressure. Hopefully this won't be the case this time around. Yes our defence leaked goals last season but bell and rose added a fair bit of stability, and many of the goals in the last quarter of the season were down to FB or gk errors.

A lot depends on Higgins. Was he re-signed or was he already on a longer contract? We can't afford to have someone here that we don't think can hack it at this level.

If we've got Higgins, bell, and rose (and Adams as cover) then it would be essential that any defender we sign can also play fb.

When folk say we need a reality check in terms of championship level - I'd suggest the same could be said about our budget.

Last time we were here we had very little going forward and consequently our defence was constantly under pressure. Hopefully this won't be the case this time around. Yes our defence leaked goals last season but bell and rose added a fair bit of stability, and many of the goals in the last quarter of the season were down to FB or gk errors.

A lot depends on Higgins. Was he re-signed or was he already on a longer contract? We can't afford to have someone here that we don't think can hack it at this level.
Higgins was a 2 year deal same as moff and geggan as far I can remember, will he be fit for the start of the season that injury was a nasty one.

He signed a one year deal then signed an extension after a couple of months.

If he can come back from his injury then I have no doubts that he play at this level. I agree however that instead of going for an out and out centre half we should go for someone who can also cover LB.

Not suggesting we sign Meggat but someone like that who could cover both CB and LB. If it is indeed Talbot we sign then he’ll pick up a few yellow cards which leads to suspension.

He signed a one year deal then signed an extension after a couple of months.

If he can come back from his injury then I have no doubts that he play at this level. I agree however that instead of going for an out and out centre half we should go for someone who can also cover LB.

Not suggesting we sign Meggat but someone like that who could cover both CB and LB. If it is indeed Talbot we sign then he’ll pick up a few yellow cards which leads to suspension.
With the buget being as tight as it is it's ideal having players who can play a few positions, I'd prefer a no frills full back as we have enough going forward.

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Bell is a midfielder who played in defence as we were stuck for alternatives. Higgins and Rose didn’t look comfortable playing together at all. Rose started looking steady when Bell played alongside him. I would like to see Higgins play next to someone else before I write him off. We seem to be going with the same players again and over the last few years we have went from one injury crisis to another. Really need some fresh faces and a few extra bodies to compensate for this

48 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Bell is a midfielder who played in defence as we were stuck for alternatives. Higgins and Rose didn’t look comfortable playing together at all. Rose started looking steady when Bell played alongside him. I would like to see Higgins play next to someone else before I write him off. We seem to be going with the same players again and over the last few years we have went from one injury crisis to another. Really need some fresh faces and a few extra bodies to compensate for this

Agree 100% with this. If we don’t manage to get at least 4 players in (GK, LB, CB, CM) as well as Ferguson and McDaid re-signing then it’s going to be a long, hard struggle this season.