The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Until such time as we have a partner for Moff he is going to have to go on his own up there with support from the wingers.  This is probably our strongest 11 just now.  

LINEUP111564335515909.png

McCowan partnered well with Moffat up until Saturday. He played out left for an hour and his race was run by the time he was moved in to the middle and was hooked shortly after. playing three up front works with natural wingers playing wide. we played three strikers and asked two of them to go wide.

I'd play Moffat and McCowan up front, with Forrest somewhere in behind. he plays well floating along the front line. Kerr, Kelly and Murdoch in the middle

McCowan partnered well with Moffat up until Saturday. He played out left for an hour and his race was run by the time he was moved in to the middle and was hooked shortly after. playing three up front works with natural wingers playing wide. we played three strikers and asked two of them to go wide.
I'd play Moffat and McCowan up front, with Forrest somewhere in behind. he plays well floating along the front line. Kerr, Kelly and Murdoch in the middle

I suppose having an attack on Moffat, Forrest and McCowan is quite fluid. McCowan and Forrest can interchange anytime which makes it harder for defenders to deal with them.

I’m not at the stage where we should be discounting Doolan yet as I think he’ll be an asset should we play to his strengths but I’ve a horrible feeling he’ll turn out like Harkins where no matter how he’s doing he’ll never be dropped until it’s too late.

I suppose having an attack on Moffat, Forrest and McCowan is quite fluid. McCowan and Forrest can interchange anytime which makes it harder for defenders to deal with them.

I’m not at the stage where we should be discounting Doolan yet as I think he’ll be an asset should we play to his strengths but I’ve a horrible feeling he’ll turn out like Harkins where no matter how he’s doing he’ll never be dropped until it’s too late.
TBF I think Doolan will give 100% even if not playing well unlike Harkins who was an empty shirt.

Seriously hoping the Forrest fall out rumour is wide of the mark.

When on form he's one of our most creative talents - and has more experience than some of the youngsters.

Where was that mentioned?

6 hours ago, DeStevie said:

Doohan has to come thru a ruck of players to get anywhere near the ball there was no way he was getting anywhere near them. Roscoe is inexperienced lost his man both times will learn from it. Muirhead had he being playing would have done better 

I take it you've watched the highlights back? There is no way there's anything that can be remotely described as a ruck of players between Doohan and their number 4 on either occasion. The boy has the freedom of Hawkhill Bowling Club to header towards goal.

In fact when you watch back the replay of both their goals they're both from no more than 4 or 5 yards out.

I've already accepted that Roscoe was clearly at fault but in my opinion, Doohan at 6'3 or whatever he is, could've and again, in my opinion, should've, got a claim or a good punch on one, or probably, both.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I take it you've watched the highlights back? There is no way there's anything that can be remotely described as a ruck of players between Doohan and their number 4 on either occasion. The boy has the freedom of Hawkhill Bowling Club to header towards goal.

In fact when you watch back the replay of both their goals they're both from no more than 4 or 5 yards out.

I've already accepted that Roscoe was clearly at fault but in my opinion, Doohan at 6'3 or whatever he is, could've and again, in my opinion, should've, got a claim or a good punch on one, or probably, both.

The above is a fair point . The six yard box is a keepers bread and butter .

4 minutes ago, railwayend said:

The above is a fair point . The six yard box is a keepers bread and butter .

Preventing free headers is a centre halves bread and butter. If we must attribute blame it is clearly Roscoe. 

Edited by Trogdor

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Do we pay anything towards the loans of the likes of Doohan, Ross and Kelly if we do I'm sure it's not a lot because the parent clubs are looking to develop young players not get them off the wage bill, I think we can forget ant permanent signings after yesterday but we can surely get the two players we need i.e another right sided defender and a out and out no9 in the loan market, rangers apparently offered Josh
McPake at the same time as Kelly he could be the defender and McCall talked about striker from down south who we could maybe loan in without breaking the budget

I’d gladly have taken McPake, he was a real standout when I watched the Youth Cup final and I’ve saw a bits and bobs of him on social media and he seems skilled and confident  for someone so young. Don’t know why we would have turned that down 

I’d gladly have taken McPake, he was a real standout when I watched the Youth Cup final and I’ve saw a bits and bobs of him on social media and he seems skilled and confident  for someone so young. Don’t know why we would have turned that down 
If I remember McCall said he wanted to keep his last Scottish loan (if I'm correct its 3 domestic loans) to see if needed to use it in a striker.

18 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Jesus that's doohan getting the blame now.

Dry your eyes and read my post properly, in my opinion Roscoe is clearly at fault but Doohan could've done more.

Nothing more, nothing less. He suddenly doesn't become Peter Cherry the second. People are allowed a reasoned and balanced opinion surely?

This forum reminds me of what I've been missing. No much.

Where was that mentioned?
Also so much for Frank Ross getting minutes at the weekend. Heard on Saturday Forrest has fallen out with McCall after being hooked last week at half time, apparently been brewing for a while now. However may be hearsay. Just don’t see him starting more often than not with McCalls hard on for players out of position. 
ETA - McCall can’t plead poverty for players considering his poor management has cost the club over a quarter of a million in 7 months. Punching above our weight etc is all well and good, but a defeat to a junior club, and draws against a relegation frightened Alloa and League 1 Stranraer has cost us dearly.
Here.

Based on what I’ve seen against Livingston, Falkirk and Stranraer, Ross Docherty should be one of the first names on the team sheet.  

As disappointing as Saturday was, I thought we played fairly well in the first half and were good value for our half time lead.  Shooting towards the Somerset Road end, I was confident we’d see things out.

What changed the game was the crazy decision to shift Doc to right midfield in favour of Kelly.  The midfield went to pieces after that - 15 minutes into the 2nd half and it was obvious we needed to change things back, but unfortunately McCall decided to demonstrate the stubborn streak that I find so tiresome at times.   Bringing on McGuffie at a time when the midfield needed to be beefed up was mindless.

It's a difficult one, realistically how many of our fans would stand for a midfield containing the likes of Murdoch, Docherty, Adams, Geggan and then Muirhead, Ferguson, Harvie, Roscoe or Bell at the back ?

I'm sure that would make us much more difficult to beat, however the football would be terrible to watch and the creativity would be virtually zero.

Talking of Morton, that's the type of game they played last season and even their own fans were completely scunnered with it and many would have preferred a defeat to a horrific 0-0 draw each week.

As I say, it's always about finding balance but that's not always possible, so maybe we should just play to our strengths and if that means conceding a few cheap goals here and there then it might be a small price to pay if we can play some decent attacking football and gain our fair share of goals up at the other end.

I know which one I'd prefer..............

57 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's a difficult one, realistically how many of our fans would stand for a midfield containing the likes of Murdoch, Docherty, Adams, Geggan and then Muirhead, Ferguson, Harvie, Roscoe or Bell at the back ?

I'm sure that would make us much more difficult to beat, however the football would be terrible to watch and the creativity would be virtually zero.

Talking of Morton, that's the type of game they played last season and even their own fans were completely scunnered with it and many would have preferred a defeat to a horrific 0-0 draw each week.

As I say, it's always about finding balance but that's not always possible, so maybe we should just play to our strengths and if that means conceding a few cheap goals here and there then it might be a small price to pay if we can play some decent attacking football and gain our fair share of goals up at the other end.

I know which one I'd prefer..............

I don’t think anyone has advocated playing that midfield.  But based on the games so far, Docherty and Murdoch should be first choice in the middle of the park.  There’s actually a strong argument at the moment with the players we have for a 5 man midfield so Kerr might yet have a role to play - he is clearly not mobile enough anymore to play as a midfield 2.  Kelly might kick on, but is way too raw and inexperienced at the moment to be relied on in the centre of midfield, though he might work as part of a central 3.  I’ve no idea what Ross has to offer, but it better be a lot given what I’ve seen so far.   

When reality dawns that we are in a relegation scrap, the dream of attacking football where we give away cheap goals might have to be parked.