The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's an indictment on Roscoe - if he's admitting that we need another CB.

I've not seen enough of him to make up my mind (and fully admit that I'm not a great judge of centre backs).

On what I saw on Saturday a serious work in progress . Maybe we need a defender to run/manage the defence . Someone to help Roscoe  develop . Is Ferdinand still at St Mirren ? Mind you another at 34 and would need properly paying . Yup its a 20 year old loan right back then  .....

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

McCall will meet with the board this week to see about getting more funds. He's now saying a defender is the number 1 priority. He's also took full responsibility for Saturdays result. 

Need a striker

In an ideal world we'd get a big unit who can play across the defence, some big hammer thrower to play in midfield and a striker who has a bit of presence. I think we'll be lucky if we get one of those.

I remember when Andy O’Connell signed and we were told he could do all of those things.

I'm sorry on Ferguson but not to be too harsh on the boy however if he's going to be our main RB for this season if Geggan is RM then we're fucked, folk like McMullan will turn Ferguson inside out. Hope the board free up more funds for McCall however can't see it, their reply will be that we should have been into the last 16 however we fucked it up.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I remember when Andy O’Connell signed and we were told he could do all of those things.

There's every chance that he's throwing hammers on a building site somewhere.

Quote from McCall in the AP:

“... it’s about getting the best out of the players we have rather than shoehorning certain people in.”

Don’t think I can put into words how happy this makes me. It’s only taken him about 4 years to work out that shoehorning players in never works.

Looking at the other sides in this league, they ALL have weaknesses and players playing for them who could be regarded as "total diddies" so while our squad might not be perfect, I guess that's just a symptom of being a small football club plying their trade in the 2nd tier of the backwater which is currently Scottish Football.

That being said, we obviously hope McCall can get as much quality in the squad as possible, however it's then about making sure they all gel and play as a team. That was something which we had last year and also included a great team spirit, so basically if we can carry that on to this season then I've every confidence that we'll have another successful season which in reality terms would be avoiding the bottom two places and providing some entertainment along the way..........

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

“... it’s about getting the best out of the players we have rather than shoehorning certain people in.”

Don’t think I can put into words how happy this makes me. It’s only taken him about 4 years to work out that shoehorning players in never works.

I wouldn't get your hopes up 😂

On an off the field note, it's nice to see the response from the Morton fans on the match thread being almost all positive with regards the ticketing process - biggest criticism seems to be the lack of communication from their own club!

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The only real wide player we have is Ross, with Forrest, McCowan and McGuffie who IMO more attacking centre mid type players who can play out wide and Geggan who is defensive wide mid, yet we are seeing Murdoch, Kelly and Docherty shunted out there already rather than playing people in there proper positions

25 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I am absolutely loving the Morton fans expressing how much they love our ticketing system and how easy it is. Big well done to the club on it, and once the old boys get used to it hopefully our own support will see it’s great as well.

Yeah being compared to their own shitey set up is hardly a ringing endorsement. Let’s see how good the feedback is after tomorrow’s game. Whilst it might help the club in other ways i personally will never see it as being great until it saves me any time or effort on the previous system 

Edited by AyrExile

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Yeah being compared to their own shitey set up is hardly a ringing endorsement. Let’s see how good the feedback is after tomorrow’s game. Whilst it might help the club in other ways i personally will never see it as being great until it saves me any time or effort on the previous system 

The fact the closest bank machine to Somerset is Tesco makes it a big saver for a lot of folk. Nothing worse when you’re out before a match, drinking pints then having to think about keeping a 20 note for the game or if you’re in the bowling club/hospitality having to go 30 minute round trip to lift cash etc. 

Again thiugh, the biggest point is being significantly missed. It’s about having as little cash sitting at Somerset over the weekend and having to be banked on the Monday morning as possible.

Saturdays game for example could usually see close to £20k in cash sitting in Somerset that needs banker, probably be a quarter of that if that much this weekend. Pay as you go punters like myself can plan out games I’ll go to when I get paid and buy for 2 or 3 games at the once, so it’s already paid for, something that the club will benefit from financially if there are postponements. 

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Each to their own, but myself (and clearly plenty of others) do find it a big improvement for as it saves me time and effort on the previous system. The benefits the club get are a bonus.

56 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Each to their own, but myself (and clearly plenty of others) do find it a big improvement for as it saves me time and effort on the previous system. The benefits the club get are a bonus.

57 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

The fact the closest bank machine to Somerset is Tesco makes it a big saver for a lot of folk. Nothing worse when you’re out before a match, drinking pints then having to think about keeping a 20 note for the game or if you’re in the bowling club/hospitality having to go 30 minute round trip to lift cash etc. 

Again thiugh, the biggest point is being significantly missed. It’s about having as little cash sitting at Somerset over the weekend and having to be banked on the Monday morning as possible.

Saturdays game for example could usually see close to £20k in cash sitting in Somerset that needs banker, probably be a quarter of that if that much this weekend. Pay as you go punters like myself can plan out games I’ll go to when I get paid and buy for 2 or 3 games at the once, so it’s already paid for, something that the club will benefit from financially if there are postponements. 

There's definitely pros and cons but ultimately if it's not a major inconvenience and the club saves money then it's a good thing.