The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Docherty also admitted  "But the reality of Scottish football at this level is when you're offered a fair bit more money, you have to take the chance"

He won't be the only one doing this and I've got a bad feeling that Murdoch will do the same.

Murdoch has an injury that a lot of players at that level never really recover from - Michael McGowan and Dean Keenan are 2 from our own recent past that come to mind and Partick fans seem to think that Bannigan hasn’t been the same since his ACL injury.  On the best analysis, I don’t see Murdoch being back until next Autumn, so would honestly be surprised if clubs at our level will be rushing in with pre-contracts.

I'm unsure of our wage structure, however if we have any spare funds available I'd far rather see us try and entice the likes of Harvie, Forrest, McCowan to sign extensions for an extra couple of hundred a week.  (I realise McCowan is still under contract next year and we'd also be due development money).

Otherwise we're just facing the same situation as with Doc. Everyone has their price and worth of course but the aforementioned guys are real assets at the moment and if an extra couple of hundred per week would make them stay then I'd be inviting them in right now.

That's a sickener from the club captain. Especially given our loyalty due to him being so injury prone.

As far as I'm concerned, him and Doolan can go to Thistle in January assuming Kerr has a replacement in mind. Over to you Mark Kerr... 

My guess is Partick have announced this now to try and force the move through in January if they cough up a fairly nominal fee.  The players position is basically unsustainable now and both Ayr and Partick will know that.
 I can’t really blame the player for taking the extra money, but it will upset a few given the way we’ve stood by him through long term injury.  Really don’t have much to say about McCall - yes he’s a hypocrite given his complaints last season about Liam Smith, but in the end we need to focus on building our own club and focus on yesterdays positive news.

We’ve not announced anything. Not seen any quotes from McCall about it either, just ones from Kerr and Docherty.

This is really poor from Docherty and it’s put Kerr in an impossible position. Does he drop Docherty and risk annoying other players or keep him playing and anger the fans?  Docherty certainly not irreplaceable, but after the constant injuries, if we offered a contract not too disimilar then I’d be expecting him to stay.

On the other hand, if it’s as good a contract he’s making it out to be, then Partick chucking money at mid table players in the hope of promotion seems bizzare.

6 minutes ago, Reid said:

We’ve not announced anything. Not seen any quotes from McCall about it either, just ones from Kerr and Docherty.

The guy who ran the story gets all his inside info from McCall, so it wouldn’t be surprising that that’s the motive behind it. He’s also tweeted something along those lines.

Why has this been announced? If its come from Jobby its massive hypocrisy given how he reacted when Neilsen signed up Smith for Dundee United last season. Did he not start ranting that PCA were worthless?

I would have much preferred this to have been kept quiet until the end of the season. Doc will get pelters from the terraces now. I really don't see how he can remain in the team to the end of the season tbh. A nominal fee to Partick in January I expect.

I just hope there aren't any more. If Forrest signs, I will be properly depressed.

I think the best course of action would be to arrange for him to join Thistle in January. It doesn’t do any good for him sitting with us for another 6 months when everyone knows he’s away to Thistle.

Even if it’s just peanuts Thistle offer it’s better than nothing although it just gives Kerr more work to do over January.

20 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Kerr and the club need to be ruthless too.

If you are not 100% committed, go, get them out.

Margins are too tight in this league to be carrying any passengers, or anyone who is  not giving 100%.

Docherty doesn’t strike me as the type of person that doesn’t give 100% in games. If he’s not earning big bucks I’m sure a win bonus might also be an incentive to try hard. 

22 minutes ago, Reid said:

It’s in the Daily Record.  I’ve no doubt the story has come from Partick.  My guess is Ayr have felt obliged to comment given that he is our club captain.  As I said earlier, my gut feeling is that Partick are trying to force the move through now as Docherty is now in an impossible situation with the Ayr fans.  

Edited by HMIP

This happened with Smith last year and he continued to play and play well, maybe a little different with the McCall factor here and the fact we always knew / expected Smith would move on where as Doc was seen as a long termer and club captain of course.

Personally I wouldn't let him leave early unless Thistle were coming across with decent cash but if he showed any signs of his performances dropping then he'd need to be dropped and undoubtedly the fans would be giving him a seriously hard time which would of course be deserved.

It's a difficult one.............

The club should keep classy about all of this and let Thistle look like the jakeys that they are.

Tell Thistle to cough up - pay for the rest of his wages for the remainder of the season - and get him out.

After all, Doc has a 2 year contract to protect now, wants his new employers to be in as high a league as possible and we need 100% commitment.

Sorry, but I think Smith should have been away as well last season, just my opinion.

The club should keep classy about all of this and let Thistle look like the jakeys that they are.
Tell Thistle to cough up - pay for the rest of his wages for the remainder of the season - and get him out.
After all, Doc has a 2 year contract to protect now, wants his new employers to be in as high a league as possible and we need 100% commitment.
Sorry, but I think Smith should have been away as well last season, just my opinion.

Smith didn’t sign until April though. We only had a month of the season left and pretty much knew what our position was going to be at the end of the season.

It’s a bit different for Doc as he’s got half a season left with us. I’d be happy enough with a nominal fee and let him move on.