The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This happened with Smith last year and he continued to play and play well, maybe a little different with the McCall factor here and the fact we always knew / expected Smith would move on where as Doc was seen as a long termer and club captain of course.

Personally I wouldn't let him leave early unless Thistle were coming across with decent cash but if he showed any signs of his performances dropping then he'd need to be dropped and undoubtedly the fans would be giving him a seriously hard time which would of course be deserved.

It's a difficult one.............

Situation with Smith was very different.  The season was basically over when it was announced and Smith was never expected to re-sign anyway.  If you look at the grief directed at Doolan for no good reason other than because he is McCall’s pal (which he may be unaware of given his rare outings) you have to think Doc is going to get pelters from the support.  The only issue we’ve got is if we set the precedent and let him go in January, what do we do if others sign pre-contracts with Partick?  Personally I think Forrest and Harvie can do better than another championship side, but I thought that about Shankland.!

Just now, HMIP said:

Situation with Smith was very different.  The season was basically over when it was announced and Smith was never expected to re-sign anyway.  If you look at the grief directed at Doolan for no good reason other than because he is McCall’s pal (which he may be unaware of given his rare outings) you have to think Doc is going to get pelters from the support.  The only issue we’ve got is if we set the precedent and let him go in January, what do we do if others sign pre-contracts with Partick?  Personally I think Forrest and Harvie can do better than another championship side, but I thought that about Shankland.!

Yes, I'd agree with all of that but what do we do ?

Does that mean that in our future a 12 month contract is really a 6 month contract  ??

We can only ask the question and give an offer, if they don't accept then fair enough but at least we'd be trying.

Typical Ayr right enough, we get the good news yesterday and then within a matter of hours things all go bloody pear shaped !!!

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I'd agree with all of that but what do we do ?

Does that mean that in our future a 12 month contract is really a 6 month contract  ??

We can only ask the question and give an offer, if they don't accept then fair enough but at least we'd be trying.

Typical Ayr right enough, we get the good news yesterday and then within a matter of hours things all go bloody pear shaped !!!

Let’s not go daft.  I’m sorry to see Docherty go and the way Partick have handled it is piss-poor (for the player, if nothing else), but he’s not that great a player and is very injury prone to boot.  Gives us and the player a real headache in the short term though which I do think the club might seek to address with Partick.

I can see why people would want him to leave but are we in a safe or good enough position to let him go at the moment. With Murdoch out and Kerr playing sometimes this area doesn’t have much cover. Whilst we need to sign new players I would rather Kerr gained experience in the transfer market and changed the team gradually.  Can’t say this about every player but to me Doc seems the type to still try. Undecided about whether to move him on now or not

5 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

I can see why people would want him to leave but are we in a safe or good enough position to let him go at the moment. With Murdoch out and Kerr playing sometimes this area doesn’t have much cover. Whilst we need to sign new players I would rather Kerr gained experience in the transfer market and changed the team gradually.  Can’t say this about every player but to me Doc seems the type to still try. Undecided about whether to move him on now or not

Surely Doc has made that decision for all of us. He has decided that, after everything, he wants to move to Partick.

If money is his motivation, then the sooner he goes, the better for him.

Docherty will get booed like f**k by our fickle supporters and quite rightly so, if he makes one cock up which leads to conceding a goal he'll be a dead man walking.

I'm of the view he should never put on an Ayr top again and McCall has got in touch with the VOR to rock our boat, he'll come back for Forrest if he hasn't already started that. McCall probably got pissed off about a guy with some money joining the board only a couple of months after he left bemoaning the lack of ambition on the board. 

Edited by rb123!

21 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Let’s not go daft.  I’m sorry to see Docherty go and the way Partick have handled it is piss-poor (for the player, if nothing else), but he’s not that great a player and is very injury prone to boot.  Gives us and the player a real headache in the short term though which I do think the club might seek to address with Partick.

I'm not "going daft" but I stand by everything I've said in my post.

17 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Sad thing is you’re probably right about Doc, but I think the attitude towards him will be corrosive to say the least.

It’s a really difficult situation. On one hand we can’t really afford to let him go unless we have a couple of replacements lined up. Murdoch our for the season and Kerr wanting to take a backseat after January already puts us in a difficult position however can we honestly trust him to give 100% in games v Thistle. Every game in this league is crucial and we can’t afford to carry passengers. 

1 hour ago, Reid said:

We’ve not announced anything. Not seen any quotes from McCall about it either, just ones from Kerr and Docherty.

Partick revealed it first , it was on their official website before Ayr could get it out just after 12 noon today 

It’s a really difficult situation. On one hand we can’t really afford to let him go unless we have a couple of replacements lined up. Murdoch our for the season and Kerr wanting to take a backseat after January already puts us in a difficult position however can we honestly trust him to give 100% in games v Thistle. Every game in this league is crucial and we can’t afford to carry passengers. 

Unless Kerr brings in 2 midfielders in January (3 if Doc leaves) then I don’t think he can afford to take a backseat.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Unless you know different it just sounded like more players on their way out.

Aye the tweet certainly suggested that. 

@robbo63 Please announce Andy Murdoch staying. Only thing that will cheer me up I reckon 😂

If he stays or goes, I'd suggest the captaincy needs to be given to someone else (Moff, Bell or Geggan for me). If for nothing else that it may placate some of the more fickle fans without completely binning him off (unless we get a replacement in).

For what it's worth, from a financial point of view he has done what anyone else would do - more money doing the same job. Football is no different in that regard.

From a footballing point of view, it's an odd one but at least he is honest enough to admit he is going for the money - the fact that he admits it means I have more respect for him than I would have.

Look again , I saw it at 12.15 on Partick Thistle Fc official website , I have just checked and it’s still there , states posted over 5 hours ago , type in Partick Thistle then latest news 
Top story
McCall signs Ross Docherty from previous club Ayr United on a 2 year deal  

Aye but that’s the Daily Record not the Thistle website.

Although it’s not unlikely McCall has leaked it to the Daily Record.

I love the "oh he's replaceable anyway mentality". Gets me every time. In all seriousness, regardless of who's leaked the news this is clearly lacking in class and moral fibre.

As club captain does the player not have any say to Partick or whoever to show a bit of grown up thinking and ultimately loyalty to the club thats currently paying his mortgage and kids' Christmas presents?

If it's designed to get him away earlier then surely we're within our rights to make a formal complaint to the authorities?

A player under contract has clearly been approached by a rival club, assuming it's without our knowledge or permission, outwith of a transfer period and it clearly shouldn't be happening.

If he stays and plays how much effort will he put into the games against his future employees?

Does it now open the floodgates for other exits?

Edited by BukyOHare

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye but that’s the Daily Record not the Thistle website.

Although it’s not unlikely McCall has leaked it to the Daily Record.

Totally correct , I stand corrected , I just typed in Partick Thistle Fc latest news and that page came up , it is official on our behalf though and  might be better to strike a deal for January , Thistle have us at ransom  though  , they don’t need to pay anything for him as we are obliged to pay him his contract , if we want him to go in January we could be asked to fulfil his contract , don’t think that will happen though 

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

Totally correct , I stand corrected , I just typed in Partick Thistle Fc latest news and that page came up , it is official on our behalf though and  might be better to strike a deal for January , Thistle have us at ransom  though  , they don’t need to pay anything for him as we are obliged to pay him his contract , if we want him to go in January we could be asked to fulfil his contract , don’t think that will happen though 

Clearly reading that too quickly, but we'll be paying Partick to take him in January at this rate. 😉