The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

I dont get the increased job security bit, let's be honest he was never going to be without a club.

He's left for the money pure and simple. 

Anyone interested in a replacement should look no further than Airdrie's Kurtis Roberts.

Playing consistently well this season and one of a few players in League 1 capable of making the step up to at least the Championship. Still only 25 and with loads of scope to keep improving.

Whilst probably true about money being a factor it’s also one of the kinder reasons to give. Perhaps he just wants to go and work with McCall again. If the reports on here were true the dressing room was a great place to be when he was in charge. With the resources and knowledge of the league McCall has its probably an attractive destination for many player 

1 hour ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

If anyone has had a bad injury like Docherty they'll know the feeling of not quite being as confident in their body as previously. I've been there too.

Disappointed he's leaving but this idea of giving him abuse is nonsense. Beyond the two years there is a decent chance his income stops.

That's a completely rational viewpoint, however how many football fans (especially some of ours) do you know who are rational ???

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

A two year deal absolutely offers more job security than one year. If he got a bad injury towards the end of year 1 he knows he still has another year of pay while he recovers rather than potentially being unemployed for a few months.

However I’m pretty sure we’d have been willing to offer him a two year deal so I don’t think that’s a factor. He’s went for a better wage, and if he’s central belt based something closer to home. At this level that’s fair enough really.

If he gets injured, if he finds himself unemployed, if he had any loyalty.

As has been mentioned elsewhere did the club even get the chance to put a counter offer, presumably for 2 years, to him, perhaps helping him with his coaching badges an giving him the opportunity to get involved with the academy?

No, it's got to all be about the money. I could earn more outwith my current job, but do you know what, it's actually not all about the money.

And from the club captain as well. Wouldn't have happened from Ian McAllister.

The more I think about it, I'd have him nowhere near the first team. If he doesn't play between now and the end of the season, Thistle can get him fit for next season.

I'd also be laying it down in no uncertain terms to anybody else in the dressing room, if theres other clubs fluttering eyelashes your way, then let us know you don't want to be here, we won't stand in your way, go now. 

We'll soon see who's committed to the cause.

Anybody not fully committed is not going to give us 110%. You're either on the bus or you're under the bus.

57 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Whilst probably true about money being a factor it’s also one of the kinder reasons to give. Perhaps he just wants to go and work with McCall again. If the reports on here were true the dressing room was a great place to be when he was in charge. With the resources and knowledge of the league McCall has its probably an attractive destination for many player 

You don't think the good results we had played a huge part in that great experience?

Cause he'll soon find out enough how good he had it with us.

As has been mentioned elsewhere did the club even get the chance to put a counter offer, presumably for 2 years, to him, perhaps helping him with his coaching badges an giving him the opportunity to get involved with the academy?
No, it's got to all be about the money. I could earn more outwith my current job, but do you know what, it's actually not all about the money.
The more I think about it, I'd have him nowhere near the first team. If he doesn't play between now and the end of the season, Thistle can get him fit for next season.
I'd also be laying it down in no uncertain terms to anybody else in the dressing room, if theres other clubs fluttering eyelashes your way, then let us know you don't want to be here, we won't stand in your way, go now. 
Anybody not fully committed is not going to give us 110%. You're either on the bus or you're under the bus.

So what if it’s for the money?

He’s playing at a level of football where the money isn’t great and unless he wins the lottery he’s going to have to work when his career is over. He’s absolutely looking out for himself with this move and I can’t say I blame him. It’s irrelevant that he’s club captain as well.

We can’t afford to say to players to just leave the club. If Thistle are willing to pay a small fee to get him now or pay up the rest of his wages then fine. But actively saying to any player who might not commit to next season to leave is sheer madness.

16 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

As Jack Jarvis once said, birthday caird pish.

If you were offered substantially more money for the exact same role, somewhere closer to home and under a manager you’d previously worked with and liked, you wouldn’t be tempted? Away and shite.

I’d absolutely try and get some money for him in January assuming we could get a replacement. And I can see the argument for giving captaincy to someone else, but if he stays then he plays. We’re hardly blessed with options and as seen with Smith or Tidser last season, signing a pre-contract doesn’t mean you down tools.

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

If you were offered substantially more money for the exact same role, somewhere closer to home and under a manager you’d previously worked with and liked, you wouldn’t be tempted? Away and shite.

I’d absolutely try and get some money for him in January assuming we could get a replacement. And I can see the argument for giving captaincy to someone else, but if he stays then he plays. We’re hardly blessed with options and as seen with Smith or Tidser last season, signing a pre-contract doesn’t mean you down tools.

Funnily enough Tidser is out the picture at Falkirk and I wouldn't be averse to seeing him in an Ayr jersey..............

22 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You don't think the good results we had played a huge part in that great experience?

Cause he'll soon find out enough how good he had it with us.

Yeah the results probably did tbf. Unlike some though I don’t think all of of our players were superstars yet he got a strong team built and turned some careers around. For that to happen people obviously enjoyed working there and put the effort in.The loyalty issue  isn’t also totally clear cut. Whilst the club paid his wages McCall also stuck by him. Who knows what will happen at Thistle but the future looks also less certain at Ayr than before. Kerr still finding his feet plus some budget cuts and will do well to keep the momentum going of recent seasons 

42 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Ive already said I could probably earn more elsewhere and choose not to. Why does it always have to be about money?

What a sad world.

It's not like we were paying him the bloody minimum wage.

49 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

So what if it’s for the money?

He’s playing at a level of football where the money isn’t great and unless he wins the lottery he’s going to have to work when his career is over. He’s absolutely looking out for himself with this move and I can’t say I blame him. It’s irrelevant that he’s club captain as well.

We can’t afford to say to players to just leave the club. If Thistle are willing to pay a small fee to get him now or pay up the rest of his wages then fine. But actively saying to any player who might not commit to next season to leave is sheer madness.

In case you haven't noticed he isn't leaving for Anfield or the Nou Camp. His wages were fine when he was with us but suddenly not good enough? 

He should hang up his boots now if his chosen career isn't providing enough. There's always time to change.

As the club captain he's supposed to be an example to the rest of the group. Leave for the money and endure a relegation battle by all means but don't expect the same level of respect and support from the guys you're supposed to be leading into battle every week.

To that end, being the captain is relevant.

17 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I wouldn't expect Doc to give us anything less than 100% for the remainder of his time at Ayr, guy seems too honest a player for that nonsense. 

Can he afford to get injured between now and the end of the season? 

I say afford because it is all about the money apparently............

If you're that financially motivated then it has to be playing on his mind, especially when there's a 40/60 to be won.

In case you haven't noticed he isn't leaving for Anfield or the Nou Camp. His wages were fine when he was with us but suddenly not good enough? 
He should hang up his boots now if his chosen career isn't providing enough. There's always time to change.
As the club captain he's supposed to be an example to the rest of the group. Leave for the money and endure a relegation battle by all means but don't expect the same level of respect and support from the guys you're supposed to be leading into battle every week.
To that end, being the captain is relevant.

So he wants to earn more money, who are we to judge? As I’ve said it’s a short career and the vast majority of footballers at this level will take a move to earn more money. Add on to the fact that it’s a bigger club with better facilities and he’s working with a manager who he likes playing under and it’s not a hard move to justify.

And you don’t know how his teammates will treat him. I can imagine most of them won’t care as they’re not as invested into the club as the fans are. They’re not going to suddenly turn on him ffs, most of them will be good friends with him. So yeah a piece of fabric round his arm is pretty irrelevant.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

So he wants to earn more money, who are we to judge? As I’ve said it’s a short career and the vast majority of footballers at this level will take a move to earn more money. Add on to the fact that it’s a bigger club with better facilities and he’s working with a manager who he likes playing under and it’s not a hard move to justify.

And you don’t know how his teammates will treat him. I can imagine most of them won’t care as they’re not as invested into the club as the fans are. They’re not going to suddenly turn on him ffs, most of them will be good friends with him. So yeah a piece of fabric round his arm is pretty irrelevant.

I say black you say white, I get it.

30 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Yeah the results probably did tbf. Unlike some though I don’t think all of of our players were superstars yet he got a strong team built and turned some careers around. For that to happen people obviously enjoyed working there and put the effort in.The loyalty issue  isn’t also totally clear cut. Whilst the club paid his wages McCall also stuck by him. Who knows what will happen at Thistle but the future looks also less certain at Ayr than before. Kerr still finding his feet plus some budget cuts and will do well to keep the momentum going of recent seasons 

This is an interesting view and in line with my own. The only difference is that I'm still unsure if it was all McCall or if others such as Stewart had a major influence ?

With that I'm referring to our possession based playing style which only appeared quite recently (in the past 18 months I'd say) as opposed to being a trademark of McCall's time at the club.

We lost Rose, Crawford,Smith, McDaid and Shankland last season but our style didn't change and those who came in have more or less performed as well or certainly close to the level of the aforementioned players, which of course many would have thought to be impossible.

Time will only tell what will happen in the future but I don't believe losing Doc will have a hugely detrimental effect on the team, especially if we can replace him with a decent footballer who possesses a bit of creativity, and I'm sure Kerr etc are on that one right at this very moment............

I say black you say white, I get it.

It’s the fact that you’re grudging him moving to earn more money. Just because you aren’t financially motivated in your work doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing for others to be, especially when in he’s going to have to change career in 10 years or less.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s the fact that you’re grudging him moving to earn more money. Just because you aren’t financially motivated in your work doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing for others to be, especially when in he’s going to have to change career in 10 years or less.

I dont grudge him, or any of our other departees a move per se, more the move he has chosen to accept than anything else.

You can see Shankland in the SPL next season and that was bad enough but where's our club captain going to be next season? What does that actually say about the players' attitude towards us as a club right at this moment in time? 

If it is about the money for him then I suggest Scottish Championship footballer isnt the career for him in the first place. 

Really don’t have a problem with a player taking better money elsewhere, but this has been terribly handled.  Don’t know if the blame lies with the player, his agent or the clubs.  This could easily have been kept confidential until the end of the season if the parties involved had so wanted.  

I really can’t see any reason why Ayr would have leaked this the press, so the finger points squarely at McCall.  It may well be a vindictive thing on his part because the Ayr fans haven’t been willing to stroke his ginormous ego since he walked out on us, but I still think it’s more likely a cheap tactic to try and force through a deal in January.  Really tough one for Ayr - allowing ourselves to be pushed around like that sets a dangerous precedent, but on the other hand I don’t think the player’s position is tenable.