Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

2 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

Need a bare minimum of 4.

My feeling in December was that finishing above Stranraer was a realistic ambition.

I get the feeling now that doing that is imperative for survival.

Yes I agree on both points, minimum of 4 points required and I said after the match at SP, Stranraer will finish bottom in my opinion.

9 hours ago, ForfarLoon84 said:

I feel our next 3 fixtures are going to determine if we are in a relegation dogfight for the remainder of the season, or if we can rest easy.

Home v Clyde

Home v Stenny

Away v Elgin.

Going on recent form,  I'm hoping we can pick up 4 points from them 3 games, but pick up zero and we will be in big trouble.

Anyone there on Saturday? How was it? Sound like so many other games I've seen this season. 

Defended well after a 20 minute spell where we should have scored.

Morrison shouldn't have been booked 1st time, Brindley committed the foul, big loss now.

Apart from Finlay Allen we had nothing up front, no out ball, just kept coming back.

11 hours ago, ForfarLoon84 said:

I feel our next 3 fixtures are going to determine if we are in a relegation dogfight for the remainder of the season, or if we can rest easy.

Home v Clyde

Home v Stenny

Away v Elgin.

Going on recent form,  I'm hoping we can pick up 4 points from them 3 games, but pick up zero and we will be in big trouble.

Anyone there on Saturday? How was it? Sound like so many other games I've seen this season. 

Two best chances on Saturday were from Finlay Allan, apart from that not much else to report about, especially after Morrisons sending off. We played for the point after that.

Thought Rusty looked more like the average player he is, terrible work rate and flicks that just look rubbish when they come to nothing. Thought Tyler was also very average and didn't look up to it in comparison to the likes of Finlay Allen or Thommo.

4 points from the next 3 has to be the target, although I do feel it is rather optimistic. 

I also can't believe it's taken Morrison so long to be sent off this season, the way he throws himself in to tackles in the middle of the park most weeks shows he is a centre half in a good side imo.

1 hour ago, tbsouth said:

Defended well after a 20 minute spell where we should have scored.

Morrison shouldn't have been booked 1st time, Brindley committed the foul, big loss now.

Apart from Finlay Allen we had nothing up front, no out ball, just kept coming back.

To be fair Morrison shouldn't have been booked for the first booking.

Brindley was struggling and looked injured towards the end of the game, hopefully he is ok for Saturday.

Finlay Allan is a joy to watch if I'm honest, he is 17 and looks so much more experienced than the rest of our forward thinking players

27 minutes ago, farfirloon said:

Two best chances on Saturday were from Finlay Allan, apart from that not much else to report about, especially after Morrisons sending off. We played for the point after that.

Thought Rusty looked more like the average player he is, terrible work rate and flicks that just look rubbish when they come to nothing. Thought Tyler was also very average and didn't look up to it in comparison to the likes of Finlay Allen or Thommo.

4 points from the next 3 has to be the target, although I do feel it is rather optimistic. 

I also can't believe it's taken Morrison so long to be sent off this season, the way he throws himself in to tackles in the middle of the park most weeks shows he is a centre half in a good side imo.

Fair play on travelling that distance to watch us. Having a go at Morrison and McLean is a head scratcher though, have to say.

11 hours ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Fair play on travelling that distance to watch us. Having a go at Morrison and McLean is a head scratcher though, have to say.

I just think the way Morrison flys in to tackles at times is needless in the middle of the park when there is little danger of us conceding at that point. 

McLean has started well in terms of goals, I can accept that but when he isn't on the scoresheet I really struggle to see what he brings to the side. Unless a ball is played within 5 yards of his body then the arms just go up in the air in a huff and there is no effort to try and win the ball.

I'm not meaning to make it look like I'm having a go at players, just observations. 

Such a strange season, two weeks ago Clyde looks gone then start banging in goals, and then before last night Stranraer were looking likely to finish bottom then they go and pump dumbarton. 

If the trends continues expect Elgin to hammer bonnyrigg something like 5-0 too.

6 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Such a strange season, two weeks ago Clyde looks gone then start banging in goals, and then before last night Stranraer were looking likely to finish bottom then they go and pump dumbarton. 

If the trends continues expect Elgin to hammer bonnyrigg something like 5-0 too.

Agreed, and then Forfar to be 3-0 up at HT against Peterhead...oh wait...

On 05/03/2024 at 11:00, farfirloon said:

I just think the way Morrison flys in to tackles at times is needless in the middle of the park when there is little danger of us conceding at that point. 

McLean has started well in terms of goals, I can accept that but when he isn't on the scoresheet I really struggle to see what he brings to the side. Unless a ball is played within 5 yards of his body then the arms just go up in the air in a huff and there is no effort to try and win the ball.

I'm not meaning to make it look like I'm having a go at players, just observations. 

All about opinions. I think moving Morrison in to midfield and bringing Hutchinson back in has been a good move by McKinnon. I don't see Morrison flying into tackles, he reads things well IMO. His sending off on Saturday was a joke.

On McLean, I must be in a small minority, by the looks of things, who rates and enjoys watching him.

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

All about opinions. I think moving Morrison in to midfield and bringing Hutchinson back in has been a good move by McKinnon. I don't see Morrison flying into tackles, he reads things well IMO. His sending off on Saturday was a joke.

On McLean, I must be in a small minority, by the looks of things, who rates and enjoys watching him.

Being totally honest I think the side was needing a Morrison type of player in the middle to win the battles as Finn and Mark Whatley seem too "nice" whereas Morrison isn't pulling out of a 50/50. 

Hutchison is one of the first names on the teamsheet for me, Munro has done well after a slow start to the season so probably deserves to play at the moment. But long term for me would be hutchy and Morrison at the back

Imo if McLean applied himself as much as others in the team then he would be playing at a higher level but he doesn't and on Saturday I thought  he just looked average. He had nice wee flicks and has good ball control for a big lad but if it leads to nothing then it isn't much use to anyone. 

Anybody else starting to think about the contract situation for players? As of now I think the only players contracted for next season are McCallum, Allan and McLean.

I know it's common that the decision gets made at the end if the season, but can also not be a great sign when players are either hesitant to commit or the manager/club is acting very slowly.

When things are going well at a club you'd expect to see a good core of the squad to have renewed by now, especially when you consider so many of them are pretty local.

Ultimately I hope this isn't going the way of ray palming off blame being like "the players have been the main problem this season" and him overhauling the squad because that's just going to put us back to square one with the another group of players who will end up being poorly managed/utilized.

Edited by ScottishLoon

I think it very wise, that club sit tight on contracts at the moment.

Tell them, if we stay up you'll sign.

No point giving anyone anything if we dont know what division we are playing in, as yet.

6 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Anybody else starting to think about the contract situation for players? As of now I think the only players contracted for next season are McCallum, Allan and McLean.

I know it's common that the decision gets made at the end if the season, but can also not be a great sign when players are either hesitant to commit or the manager/club is acting very slowly.

When things are going well at a club you'd expect to see a good core of the squad to have renewed by now, especially when you consider so many of them are pretty local.

Ultimately I hope this isn't going the way of ray palming off blame being like "the players have been the main problem this season" and him overhauling the squad because that's just going to put us back to square one with the another group of players who will end up being poorly managed/utilized.

I have it from a pretty reliable source that there are a few players who I think we would all like to see stay, waiting to see if McKinnon is still going to be there or not before they commit.

I think some people don't realise how bad a man manager he actually is and players don't want to commit if he is going to be there.

If Mckinnon is in charge, I can see a pretty big rebuild pe-season due to a lot of players not wanting to stay under him.

Wherever we end up it is almost impossible to think we can go into next season and play the type of football we've had to endure so far this season.

It seems the only way to avoid this is a managerial change.

Darren Watsons goal against Lochee United, overhead kick beauty, could potentially save us from playing Lochee next season, they would play Strathspey Thistle I a playoff for the Highland league spot.

On 06/03/2024 at 12:55, ScottishLoon said:

a draw would be good for. that