P&B Hospital

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I got an operation on my eye earlier this year, a shard of metal went right through and lodged in my retina.

Went for a follow up appointment to get the new lens shifted as it had moved, and they drew a massive arrow on my forehead pointing to the eye that needed operated on.

You wonder how easy it is to be in a rush and mix it up.

I remember an episode of ER from years ago. Romano was about to get an arm amputated as it was dead (had been re-attached but it didn't take). He insisted that a colleague write on his good arm "Not this one, stupid".

19 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Pretty sure it's Norovirus I've got and it appears to be on the way out. Off work again today but visits to the loo are reducing. I've had something to eat and am able to drink more. Have been cramping up doing nothing due to there being f**k all in my system so trying to drink Lucozade sport to replace electrolytes. 

Lost half a stone in 30 hrs. I mean I'm overweight but that can't be healthy. 

My sympathies. I had that years ago and couldn't keep anything down except thin soup for about three weeks. Spent most of that time sitting on a pile of towels on a wipe-clean chair because I was so weak  :shutup

I'd give yourself a few days to make sure it's gone, as it's a b*****d for clinging on.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

My sympathies. I had that years ago and couldn't keep anything down except thin soup for about three weeks. Spent most of that time sitting on a pile of towels on a wipe-clean chair because I was so weak  :shutup

I'd give yourself a few days to make sure it's gone, as it's a b*****d for clinging on.

I'm off again today but managing to increase my fluid and solid intake slowly. Actually slept OK last night. Starting to feel like I'm getting RSI from wiping my arse though. 

On 09/10/2024 at 07:50, Sergeant Wilson said:

Were you a bit worried when the surgeon needed instructions written on your arm?

Just add mt tuppence to the mix...

I had a local anaesthetic for an inguinale hernia op.

The surgeon was a bit surprised and asked why.

I told him I wanted to be awake so that they operated on the correct side and the doc stated that that was a good idea. 

On 09/10/2024 at 08:32, Musketeer Gripweed said:

They asked me at least four times if I knew what they were going to do. I suspect they have done 5he wrong thing before

I had a cataract operation on Monday. They must have asked me half a dozen times which eye it was. I felt like saying "Have you not got it written down somewhere (there was an incredible amount of paperwork)", but felt it better not to F*** off somebody working with your eyes.

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I had a cataract operation on Monday. They must have asked me half a dozen times which eye it was. I felt like saying "Have you not got it written down somewhere (there was an incredible amount of paperwork)", but felt it better not to F*** off somebody working with your eyes.

I suppose there's no better way of making sure you're performing the right operation than just asking the bloody patient.

Nobody wants to end up being the doctor who cuts off a patient's knackers when they were in for an ingrown toenail, and it seems like there are a lot of those stories. Doctors are human too, I suppose. Also way more likely to be off their tits on class As at work than the rest of us (allegedly).

My middle boy had to have cataracts removed when he was 2 1/2.

Seeing him coming out of theatre with two big arrows on his forehead and off his face on Ket was very very funny, but probably cost me a good few dad points when i just sat and laughed.

20 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I hope you told him the wrong one just to see if they were paying attention , I would've.

(I wouldn't have actually).

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I hope you told him the wrong one just to see if they were paying attention , I would've.

(I wouldn't have actually).

I've to get the other one done eventually, but it's not nearly as bad as the right one.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

I've to get the other one done eventually, but it's not nearly as bad as the right one.

My M.I.L. here had it done here privately a couple of years back - turns out when she went for her check-up a couple of weeks back it hadn't been a success although it hadn't spread to the other eye.  This was news to me as when I agreed to foot the bill it was on the basis they were doing both eyes.  

Knowing them here, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they'd done the wrong one.  Worse still, because folk here are so respectful of authority (afraid in reality) I would be surprised if they didn't even mention it when the Doc started working on the wrong eye!