P&B Hospital

14 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I have been making attempts to improve my metabolic health in the last few months - doing more cardio and watching my diet. As part of this I downloaded an app to monitor my heart rate, I take a reading once if twice a day when I’m resting. Considering my size I feel I have a very low heart rate. I am 6’ tall and weigh about 113 kilos, my resting heart rate is consistently below 60. Every measure my I’ve done in the last week has been below 60, including a couple at 51.

Is this something to be concerned about? Cardiologists of P&B, show yourselves!

113kg!

Do you speak with an Austrian accent?

austrian-bodybuilder-arnold-schwarzenegger-in-a-scene-from-news-photo-1655366968.jpg.6938dfe0bee79017de249e8089357660.jpg

41 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

113kg!

Do you speak with an Austrian accent?

austrian-bodybuilder-arnold-schwarzenegger-in-a-scene-from-news-photo-1655366968.jpg.6938dfe0bee79017de249e8089357660.jpg

Ha, I wish.

I am too heavy, need to lose some.

Thanks for the medical people who DM'd me offering advice.  

I swear, someone will eventually post that they've just collapsed and have shooting pains down their left arm; do I need to see a doctor?

I'll try to remember to do it myself if the reaper gives me time.

21 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Usually disappears within 20-30 mins but for about 24hrs I usually have a headache hovering away in the background that hammers me if I cough or sneeze. 

7a95ac_5355eb8b1ca0459bb01d19fb8207bce5~mv2.gif

4DiZe.gif

I think there's a valve away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2024 at 20:41, Richey Edwards said:

Been confined to my scratcher for most of the day due to Vertigo and migraine.

Going to phone the Doctors tomorrow about this. This is fucking hellish.

Finally managed to get an appointment for this.

Having to take painkillers to function reasonably normally is a pain in the arse. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Having to take painkillers to function reasonably normally is a pain in the arse. 

I thought you said it was a migraine.

Oh, where to start?

I have been in hospital since Wednesday, kept falling over/having dizzy spells at home so called 911 and off to hospital in an ambulance.

Condition 1. very low sodium/potassium which they worked on and got back to normal by Friday

Condition 2. (ongoing) Dangerously low blood pressure. We're looking at an average over the last few days of 99-103/55-70 when lying down in bed. When they do the orthostatic test (lying-sitting-standing) I can go from 99/66 to 90/60 to 83/55 (that was this morning) and when standing my heart rate can jump to over 130 bpm.

Surprisingly, despite plans to discharge me on Sunday they decided because of condition 2 that it wasn't safe (especially as I live alone). Shitty, but I also completely understand. 

We wait and hope things improve.

Also, my weight is now 73.5kg. (Last August before they cut me open it was around 100-105kg!)

Anyone out there suffered similar?

9 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Oh, where to start?

I have been in hospital since Wednesday, kept falling over/having dizzy spells at home so called 911 and off to hospital in an ambulance.

Condition 1. very low sodium/potassium which they worked on and got back to normal by Friday

Condition 2. (ongoing) Dangerously low blood pressure. We're looking at an average over the last few days of 99-103/55-70 when lying down in bed. When they do the orthostatic test (lying-sitting-standing) I can go from 99/66 to 90/60 to 83/55 (that was this morning) and when standing my heart rate can jump to over 130 bpm.

Surprisingly, despite plans to discharge me on Sunday they decided because of condition 2 that it wasn't safe (especially as I live alone). Shitty, but I also completely understand. 

Also, my weight is now 73.5kg. (Last August before they cut me open it was around 100-105kg!)

Christ, you’re really not catching a break, mate. Hopefully they’ve at least ruled out some stuff, cause it sounds a right dangerous situation. I’ve had a little mild vertigo, and I can’t imagine what you must have been going through with BP crashing like that and you going down. I’m guessing they’ll be recommending some form of Medic-Alert necklace or watch since you’re a solo resident. Stay safe, and let us know you’re getting better!

On 25/03/2024 at 22:25, Dee Man said:

Usually disappears within 20-30 mins but for about 24hrs I usually have a headache hovering away in the background that hammers me if I cough or sneeze. 

7a95ac_5355eb8b1ca0459bb01d19fb8207bce5~mv2.gif

4DiZe.gif

I remember the first time I had that happen, was sat at work and suddenly realised i couldn't see anything down one side.
Was convinced for a good 10 minutes I was having a stroke

On 10/04/2024 at 17:17, Peil said:

I remember the first time I had that happen, was sat at work and suddenly realised i couldn't see anything down one side.
Was convinced for a good 10 minutes I was having a stroke

Aye, when I first had mine I went straight home and called NHS 24 or whatever it's called and they told me it sounded like a stroke and to get myself straight to hospital. Hospital staff said that's what it sounded like as well but tests confirmed it was an ocular migraine.

Absolutely pat ma shants until I found out it was just a migraine. 

I think it's only happened to me a couple of times but that ocular migraine thing would usually happen if I hadn't had much sleep. I think it was Dee Man posting about it which clued me in to what it was. Sitting with my eyes shut for 10-15 minutes usually fixed it.

15 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think it's only happened to me a couple of times but that ocular migraine thing would usually happen if I hadn't had much sleep. I think it was Dee Man posting about it which clued me in to what it was. Sitting with my eyes shut for 10-15 minutes usually fixed it.

I get these occasionally. Most often it's triggered by a sudden bright light, which starts a tiny patch flashing which then grows bigger over the course of the next 5-10 minutes. There seems to be no way to stop that progression once it's started, and no other recourse than to wait for it to pass (which does indeed go quicker if I just shut my eyes.)

I'm not complaining, mind you, as this seems to have replaced the agonising and nauseating "normal" migraines I used to get. Haven't had one of those for years now.

On 09/04/2024 at 11:38, Richey Edwards said:

Found for me that Nortriptyline works very well for migraine. Started on a low dose and took about 6-8 weeks before noticing improvement, got it increased to a medium dose and after about the same length of time again more improvement, now on maximum dose and feel night and day compared with before I was on it.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I get these occasionally. Most often it's triggered by a sudden bright light, which starts a tiny patch flashing which then grows bigger over the course of the next 5-10 minutes. There seems to be no way to stop that progression once it's started, and no other recourse than to wait for it to pass (which does indeed go quicker if I just shut my eyes.)

I'm not complaining, mind you, as this seems to have replaced the agonising and nauseating "normal" migraines I used to get. Haven't had one of those for years now.

That’s exactly how they are with me. Usually catching someone’s LED headlights at the wrong angle. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

That’s exactly how they are with me. Usually catching someone’s LED headlights at the wrong angle. 

Yep, you know the second it happens too, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Luckily it's never happened while I've actually been driving. The sun suddenly coming out from behind a big cloud at the same moment I happen to glance out the window from a darkish room is another common trigger.

It's reassuring to know it's a relatively common thing, and generally harmless. Don't ever Google the symptoms, though, or you'll be convinced it's a TIA / stroke precursor, or vCJD, or a tumour, or brain-eating parasitic worms, or something! (Spoiler - it isn't!)

Just now, Doctor Manhattan said:

Yep, you know the second it happens too, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Luckily it's never happened while I've actually been driving. The sun suddenly coming out from behind a big cloud at the same moment I happen to glance out the window from a darkish room is another common trigger.

It's reassuring to know it's a relatively common thing, and generally harmless. Don't ever Google the symptoms, though, or you'll be convinced it's a TIA / stroke precursor, or vCJD, or a tumour, or brain-eating parasitic worms, or something! (Spoiler - it isn't!)

Yes. I mentioned it to my optician at my last eye test and he said as long as they don’t get to the stage of happening every other day and dissipate within 30 mins max it’s nothing to worry about, whilst obviously being inconvenient. 

On the subject of weird/rare but harmless brain things I also experience "transient prosopagnosia" where I can't recognise faces, especially in pictures or on TV. There are no other associated symptoms, and it resolves after an hour or so. If there's a trigger, I've no idea what it is.

I don't know whether it's linked to the migraines / aura at all, but I suspect not because it's been happening for much longer, and is much less frequent - maybe half a dozen episodes spread over the last 40 years. (One time watching Match Of The Day I wondered who Liverpool's new striker was. It was only when he turned round and I saw "Fowler" on his back that I realised I had completely failed to recognise one of the most distinctive and famous footballers of the time.)

On 09/04/2024 at 13:52, Raidernation said:

Oh, where to start?

Transferred to a rehab facility (no not THAT sort of rehab for once!) today to do PT/OT. 

Officially suffering from orthostatic hypotension, probably caused by autonomic neuropathy, so this is permanent, going to have to be on meds for life. Still I try to be positive.

11 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Officially suffering from orthostatic hypotension, probably caused by autonomic neuropathy, so this is permanent, going to have to be on meds for life. Still I try to be positive.

Well, that's a lot of syllables! Do they have any idea what is causing the autonomic neuropathy? (Apologies if you already covered this earlier in the thread.)

Whatever it is, if it can be managed by meds that IS a positive.