P&B Hospital

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think I'm developing an ingrown toenail. Does anyone have any tips?

Not sure about your Health Board, but in the Highlands we have a self referral service to NHS Podiatry. Might be worth enquiring. I had an Ingrowing big toenail, riddled with toenail fungus, all quite disgusting. Filled, and handed in a form, they called a day a so later with an appointment for the next week. When I went in they were all ready to remove the toenail, which was all done in 45 minutes. All in all, a very good service.

57 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

In my teens I had one. In those days my GP dealt with it. Numbed my toe, got some fancy scissors and removed the right hand side of my toenail. Right in his office, in and out in a few minutes.

Then, when my wife had one it was a whole hospital appointment to do the same thing.  

Sybil Fawlty was in overnight for hers.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

In my teens I had one. In those days my GP dealt with it. Numbed my toe, got some fancy scissors and removed the right hand side of my toenail. Right in his office, in and out in a few minutes.

Then, when my wife had one it was a whole hospital appointment to do the same thing.  

Different times. When a young Roald Dahl needed his tonsils out, his GP distracted him and quickly slashed away at the roof of his mouth with a scalpel. When I was three and had constipation, a locum fisted me in case I'd been sticking golf balls up my arse (I had not).

Deviants and sadists used to have a lot more leeway in medicine.

Recent development. Since surgery in August, and PT for a week (my scabby insurance won't cover out-patient PT) Within 3 - 5 minutes of doing anything that involves being upright I begin to get severe pain in my back by my right shoulder blade. Could be muscular (due to loss of muscle/weight after being eviscerated) but the doctor sent me for x-rays just in case.

Turns out I have signs of arthritic degeneration in the spine and also mild scoliosis.

Ach well, back pain isn't terminal AFAIK.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Different times. When a young Roald Dahl needed his tonsils out, his GP distracted him and quickly slashed away at the roof of his mouth with a scalpel. When I was three and had constipation, a locum fisted me in case I'd been sticking golf balls up my arse (I had not).

Deviants and sadists used to have a lot more leeway in medicine.

Stoke Mandeville  ?

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Stoke Mandeville  ?

I'd like to think my mother wouldn't have let the porters take a turn on me, but then so did hundreds of others.

On 10/01/2024 at 10:17, Raidernation said:

Recent development. Since surgery in August, and PT for a week (my scabby insurance won't cover out-patient PT) Within 3 - 5 minutes of doing anything that involves being upright I begin to get severe pain in my back by my right shoulder blade. Could be muscular (due to loss of muscle/weight after being eviscerated) but the doctor sent me for x-rays just in case.

Turns out I have signs of arthritic degeneration in the spine and also mild scoliosis.

Ach well, back pain isn't terminal AFAIK.

Too bad on the PT, but there are references that might help you find some mild stretching and strengthening exercises for your core muscles that might help a little. I have a Grade II/III subluxation between L4 and L5 that made straightening from any bent over position very painful, and it’s helped quite a bit. The strengthening of the core muscles is a PT standby for all sorts of back issues, and the exercises are reasonably achievable by most people with mild back pain. Ideally you would get some directed exercises, but perhaps the PT you saw in patient could xerox some exercise sheets for you to try?

Edited by TxRover

• 3 weeks later...

Been feeling more or less fine all day, came home and suddenly felt really nauseous. Managed to get to the toilet before I was sick. May have been a bit of blood toward the end of the vomiting.

Since then been having really bad throat pain and indigestion, almost like a lump in my throat with the usual burning pain you get with indigestion but a lot worse than anything Ive had before. Feel like I've eaten a lot, but have only had a few sips of water and a mouthful of gaviscon since I was sick about an hour and a half ago.

Kind of swithering on ringing NHS24.

13 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Been feeling more or less fine all day, came home and suddenly felt really nauseous. Managed to get to the toilet before I was sick. May have been a bit of blood toward the end of the vomiting.

Since then been having really bad throat pain and indigestion, almost like a lump in my throat with the usual burning pain you get with indigestion but a lot worse than anything Ive had before. Feel like I've eaten a lot, but have only had a few sips of water and a mouthful of gaviscon since I was sick about an hour and a half ago.

Kind of swithering on ringing NHS24.

Get them phoned.

4 hours ago, mathematics said:

Get them phoned.

I did phone in the end. Two new things I learned today...

It's possible to vomit hard enough to burst a blood vessel in your throat and it's not really possible to overdose on gaviscon.

2 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I did phone in the end. Two new things I learned today...

It's possible to vomit hard enough to burst a blood vessel in your throat and it's not really possible to overdose on gaviscon.

I hope that means that everything is [relatively] ok!

Has anyone had a Cortisone injection to their knee ?. My knees are knackered with osteoarthritis and will eventually need replacing , but I am keen to put that off for as long as possible.

What are the the pros and cons of a cortisone injection ?. 
Thanks

1 minute ago, Flatulent Gannet said:

Has anyone had a Cortisone injection to their knee ?. My knees are knackered with osteoarthritis and will eventually need replacing , but I am keen to put that off for as long as possible.

Thanks

Stay well clear imho. 

First cortisone shot great….however subsequent shots are not as effective and can be way more damaging. 

I personally prefer using a natural approach.

I use this product https://kurk.life to great effect. 

I also firmly believe in grounding/earthing to alleviate the symptoms of this. It may seem “hippy” to some people but having worked in IT for decades I understand the importance of being earthed. 

This guy is also worth checking out:

https://m.youtube.com/@TheKneesovertoesguy

HTH. 

17 minutes ago, Flatulent Gannet said:

Thanks

My wife got them a few times before the knee had to go.  She got extra injections because she was pals with the consultant. They work but are only to delay the op so you don't need another before you die.

• 3 weeks later...

Woke up this morning and my heart, or the chest area around the heart was sore, when I moving about, bending over, trying to procc the pain with a deep breath etc. Its gone now though. this happens quite often

What's the all about, anyone got any idea?

13 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Woke up this morning and my heart, or the chest area around the heart was sore, when I moving about, bending over, trying to procc the pain with a deep breath etc. Its gone now though. this happens quite often

Could be something simple like intercostal bruising, or something more serious with your heart.

None of us know, so get yourself checked out by a doctor for fucks sake!

"My heart is frequently quite painful. Better get onto the internet's premier Scottish football forum to get their thoughts on this."

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

nicksplat doug GIF