P&B Hospital

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Quick question on chest pains. If you start getting them regularly, when should you get them seen to? I mean, if you're having them daily, sure. What about weekly?

There’s a lot of causes, but the heart is a pretty common factor in recurrent chest pain, so I’d say see your GP to discuss it sooner rather than later…especially with the delays in referrals.

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Quick question on chest pains. If you start getting them regularly, when should you get them seen to? I mean, if you're having them daily, sure. What about weekly?

I can authoritatively offer a wee bit of advice on this as my auld ma, who has angina, has been in hospital twice in the last month with chest pain.

If you, or a loved one, suddenly suffer from severe chest pain, DO NOT call NHS24. This will only result in wasting approx. 1 hour of being on hold and then going through the call handler's script of questions. (NHS24 would ultimately be calling for ambulance in any case.) Call 999 immediately, tell the call handler that the issue is "chest pain" and ask for ambulance.

The above information was given to me by a paramedic who attended my mother at 4.10am after I had called NHS24 at 9.30pm.

By using the 999 service, the person suffering "chest pain" basically goes to the top of the queue with regard to ambulance / paramedic call out.

HTH.

14 hours ago, scottsdad said:

While the answer might be to get straight into the medical system, the first question for you is - have you changed anything recently?

i.e. are you doing anything particularly strenuous (Gym, DIY, picking up the bazillions of leaves in the garden) that you were not doing "pre pain", as it could be as simple as a pulled muscle that you are aggravating.

Hope you get it sorted, either way.

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

While the answer might be to get straight into the medical system, the first question for you is - have you changed anything recently?

i.e. are you doing anything particularly strenuous (Gym, DIY, picking up the bazillions of leaves in the garden) that you were not doing "pre pain", as it could be as simple as a pulled muscle that you are aggravating.

The Prof needed his piano moved.

27 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Cheers guys. 

I just occasionally get a feeling of pressure on my chest. Like yesterday. All fine now. 

You should still go to the Drs about it if the symptoms have subsided. If they come back then get yourself to a&e. I had the same thing happen just over a month back and that was the advice given. It could be early signs of heart disease. Thankfully I got the all clear and was discharged the next day after loads of tests where done. 

Regar

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

A few years back I had really bad pain around the left side of my chest/back.  I assumed I had damaged a muscle or a nerve or something like that and phoned NHS24 as it happened at the weekend.  I ended up in hospital, hooked up to an ECG machine for several hours to make sure I hadn't had a heart attack.  And it turned out I hadn't, I'd most likely damaged a muscle.  I was sent home with some opiate based painkillers.

It really is better safe than sorry - my dad has had several heart attacks and other events, the first time he felt really ill twice in a couple of days, it felt like acid reflux so he made an appointment with the doctor a day or so later.  After describing his symptoms to the GP, he was immediately sent to hospital where they found he'd had two heart attacks.

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone on here suffer, or has suffered in the past, from plantar fasciitis?

Aye.  Been absolutely plagued with it for a few years now. I often find rolling an ice cold bottle of water under my foot helps a bit.

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Funny you ask, I have had an annoying pain in my left heel for weeks now.  I put it down to wearing flip-flops too much but maybe it's something more sinister.  It's not so sore but If I step on something the wrong way it hurts a fair bit. 

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes. Ended up on crutches for two days at one point. For best part of three months I had to use a spiky roller ball on my foot before I got out of bed. Debilitatingly painful. Get a decent set of orthopaedic insoles. 

On 02/11/2023 at 10:03, philpy said:

Aye.  Been absolutely plagued with it for a few years now. I often find rolling an ice cold bottle of water under my foot helps a bit.

21 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

Yes. Ended up on crutches for two days at one point. For best part of three months I had to use a spiky roller ball on my foot before I got out of bed. Debilitatingly painful. Get a decent set of orthopaedic insoles. 

Do you still have it or has it gone away?

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Prize (to be decided what) on offer for first who can correctly guess the result of my impending chest X-ray.

pneumonia

Bad AIDS

punctured lung

lung full of emulsion

lung cancer

anthrax

ebola 

need to man up/windows down

I’m going with ebola; I’ll be very disappointed if you let me down.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Prize (to be decided what) on offer for first who can correctly guess the result of my impending chest X-ray.

pneumonia

Bad AIDS

punctured lung

lung full of emulsion

lung cancer

anthrax

ebola 

Pars fan (given the last few games)

pneumonia

Bad AIDS

punctured lung

lung full of emulsion

lung cancer

anthrax

ebola 

Trick question; it's all of them.

pneumonia

Bad AIDS

punctured lung

lung full of emulsion

lung cancer

anthrax

ebola 

Punctured lung

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

pneumonia

Bad AIDS

punctured lung

lung full of emulsion

lung cancer

anthrax

ebola 

Bound to be a lung full of emulsion, knowing you.

Get well soon from your brush with death!

On 16/10/2023 at 23:25, Jambomo said:

Off to hospital tomorrow for a heart operation. Terrified tbh, wish I could cancel and just keep taking the beta blockers but tbh, they are horrible meds, so I won’t. 

If I don’t die, I hope I make it back in time for France v Scotland. That’ll help 🤣

Glad you're OK, but curious about what's wrong with beta blockers. I take one to prevent migraines and, frankly, I think I'd rather kick off than have to come off it now.

Took about a quarter of a century to get prescribed them, and I dread the idea of going back.