P&B Hospital

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm getting hernia surgery this week.  I've had it for several years, it's given me no problems but recommendation is to get it fixed sooner rather than later to avoid any complications down the line.  

I've never had an operation before - any P&Bers got any advice etc.  I'm getting it in a private hospital, the NHS punted me over to them to help clear the backlog (bed blocking b*****d etc).

I had open surgery on an inguial hernia in 2021  on the NHS and other then the wound becoming slightly infected my recovery was about 3 weeks before I could Get back in the gym.

If it's inguinal, eat plenty fruit and drink plenty liquid.  

You really don't want to be straining having a crap.

Also, I was still crossing my legs for a year every time I sneezed 😆

If you are still fairly recently out from surgery, if you feel a sneeze coming on, tickle the roof of your mouth with your tongue.  Life saver as sneezing hurts like hell. 

Had my surgery earlier, all seems fine. I think the anaesthetic had the most impact.

The surgeon said I can go back to gym in two weeks.

I’m getting this done in a private hospital, paid for by the NHS as a waiting list clear,  and the difference between an NHS hospital and this is stark. The care, nursing etc is just the same as I’ve seen others get in NHS hospitals but being in my own room with better facilities and more privacy makes the whole thing easier. The food was significantly better than NGS food as well. Made the whole thing a lot better.

I’ve not seen a bill though, I imagine that I’d look at it differently if I was shelling out several thousand quid.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Had my surgery earlier, all seems fine. I think the anaesthetic had the most impact.

I’m getting this done in a private hospital, paid for by the NHS as a waiting list clear,  and the difference between an NHS hospital and this is stark. The care, nursing etc is just the same as I’ve seen others get in NHS hospitals but being in my own room with better facilities and more privacy makes the whole thing easier. The food was significantly better than NGS food as well. Made the whole thing a lot better.

I’ve not seen a bill though, I imagine that I’d look at it differently if I was shelling out several thousand quid.

You can thank us all later.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I never knew you were a Dawson Park Boy alias...

48 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I never knew you were a Dawson Park Boy alias...

Ha! I was happy to wait but the NHS sent me there. If I had to pay I would never have been there.

On 04/01/2024 at 16:27, ICTChris said:

That's rather the issue - without the NHS as competition, private operations would cost a whole lot more than the few thousand quid they might do it for now. They're in the "winning hearts and minds" stage of the battle for our money.

It's a real eye-opener when you see the costs involved in treatment in America, especially when you bear in mind that insurance companies are experts at wiggling out of paying for it, and switching to another insurer can suddenly leave you paying for your own medicine at hundreds of dollars per month due to your pre-existing conditions.

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think I'm developing an ingrown toenail. Does anyone have any tips?

Shoes that don't put pressure on your toes. Ideally open-toed sandals or similar when you're not at work. Gently push the flesh at the sides of the nail back away from the nail in the morning and night. Get toothpicks and gently lever the nail out of the flesh. Don't trim the nail below the flesh at the sides. Soak your feet regularly in salt water to help with infection. If your nails are particularly wide, it might be worth seeing a paediatrician privately to cut away the excess nail at the sides and kill the nail bed at the base to prevent it growing back, as the NHS will only remove/kill the whole nail altogether.

The first Mrs BFTD and our son had terrible ingrown nails; the latter was due to having very wide nails on his big toes. Both had to have their nails removed, so follow at your own risk, although I promise I was just using the advice I was given by doctors  :lol:

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That's rather the issue - without the NHS as competition, private operations would cost a whole lot more than the few thousand quid they might do it for now. They're in the "winning hearts and minds" stage of the battle for our money.

It's a real eye-opener when you see the costs involved in treatment in America, especially when you bear in mind that insurance companies are experts at wiggling out of paying for it, and switching to another insurer can suddenly leave you paying for your own medicine at hundreds of dollars per month due to your pre-existing conditions.

Shoes that don't put pressure on your toes. Ideally open-toed sandals or similar when you're not at work. Gently push the flesh at the sides of the nail back away from the nail in the morning and night. Get toothpicks and gently lever the nail out of the flesh. Don't trim the nail below the flesh at the sides. Soak your feet regularly in salt water to help with infection. If your nails are particularly wide, it might be worth seeing a paediatrician privately to cut away the excess nail at the sides and kill the nail bed at the base to prevent it growing back, as the NHS will only remove/kill the whole nail altogether.

The first Mrs BFTD and our son had terrible ingrown nails; the latter was due to having very wide nails on his big toes. Both had to have their nails removed, so follow at your own risk, although I promise I was just using the advice I was given by doctors  :lol:

It only started last week so it's just a bit red and swollen. It's also the second toe, not the big one. I gave them a steep this evening, I'll do that a few more times and see if anything changes.

20 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Do you mean podiatrist rather than paediatric doctor?!

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It only started last week so it's just a bit red and swollen. It's also the second toe, not the big one. I gave them a steep this evening, I'll do that a few more times and see if anything changes.

Maybe just gave it a knock. I have to be careful with work boots as I think my second toes are a little longer than average, so the nails can rub against the toecaps and become uncomfortable.

The smaller toes are usually much easier to deal with, so hopefully you'll be fine.

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

Do you mean podiatrist rather than paediatric doctor?!

f**k's sake. I'm blaming autocorrect, even though that was me just being an idiot.

Fascinating to read about hernia ops of all things on here. Had no idea this thread existed. 

I was in the Western in Edinburgh getting a paristomal hernia repair with mesh done on December 28th. Got out two days later, in no small part because of the ward I was on. Absolutely horrific experience, which meant I pretty much discharged myself.

It was my third hernia op - the first attempt was 2010 and was the same as ICTChris’s experience, as it was carried out at the Spire at Murrayfield due to needing to get me off the waiting list. The place was palatial, but the operation itself was a complete botch job. Had a second much bigger op a year later which led to me having to leave my job, but at least it was a (relative) success. 

All the best in your recovery @ICTChris

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

My brother in law got one (on his big toe) removed pre-covid and it still looks weird these days. 

Not much help but thought I’d share regardless 

13 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

In my teens I had one. In those days my GP dealt with it. Numbed my toe, got some fancy scissors and removed the right hand side of my toenail. Right in his office, in and out in a few minutes.

Then, when my wife had one it was a whole hospital appointment to do the same thing.