Dundee United 2018/2019

14 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

About the club taking its time,.............did the January window arrive unexpectedly ? Surely we should have targeted what we needed weeks before hand and been in a position to move when the window opened .

Aye but you can’t approach players/agents until a certain time.  I’m sure there have been discussions going on, it just may take a couple of weeks for these to come to fruition.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye but you can’t approach players/agents until a certain time.  I’m sure there have been discussions going on, it just may take a couple of weeks for these to come to fruition.

Also, you have to factor in Robbie Neilson labelling the players he wants rid of as duds. I think that may have slowed the process down.

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

I reckon what I've written makes a bit more sense than your contribution. Do you think boys Robbie Neilson labelled as "players in the dressing-room who aren’t good enough" are now worth more in negotiations with other clubs?

They weren't worth anything before the comments so I doubt it's had any bearing on negotiations whatsoever. United aren't trying to sell players to raise funds, they're seeking to offload unwanted players to free up wages. The fact that these unwanted players are unwanted won't come as a surprise to anyone, except possibly you.

There's only one reason why players are punted mid season and it isn't because their current club think they're world beaters.

I think my earlier answer was more succinct but each to their own.

They weren't worth anything before the comments so I doubt it's had any bearing on negotiations whatsoever. United aren't trying to sell players to raise funds, they're seeking to offload unwanted players to free up wages. The fact that these unwanted players are unwanted won't come as a surprise to anyone, except possibly you.
There's only one reason why players are punted mid season and it isn't because their current club think they're world beaters.

Correct, and now because we're dragging our heels as far as buys, we are now having to play said dead wood..........I wonder how that's gonna end ? Surely it was a mistake to dis these players before replacements arrived

17 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Noting you haven't mentioned contracts, who do you expect to pay up the legally owed wages for the players you think aren't worth anything?

They are a negative worth to us, several for the next 18 months given the contracts signed.  We can't 'offload', and are less likely to be able to get other clubs to take on the same wage burden for these players

19 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yes, your answer was succinct, but also shallow.

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Noting you haven't mentioned contracts, who do you expect to pay up the legally owed wages for the players you think aren't worth anything?

They are a negative worth to us, several for the next 18 months given the contracts signed.  We can't 'offload', and are less likely to be able to get other clubs to take on the same wage burden for these players

Yes, your answer was succinct, but also shallow.

Yes, the current employees who we don't want are a liability. Everyone knows they are a liability. United are in the process of negotiating with them, their agents and any potential future employers to bring their contracts to an end. So far so painfully obvious. None of this will be impacted by revealing to the players, their agents and their prospective employers that they're not wanted. That's the entire premise of the negotiations. 

The 'less likely to be able to get other clubs' bit is just silliness and supposes that someone involved in the negotiations wasn't previously aware that United are seeking to offload the players because they're not wanted. I'm trying to be polite here but really, behave yourself.

54 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Speaking of outrageous panic signings, one of our ex players is taking an ethical stand.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/08/finland-riku-riski-refuses-to-play-sweden-match-in-qatar-ethical-reasons

Good on the lad.  He will be one of few.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yes, the current employees who we don't want are a liability. Everyone knows they are a liability. United are in the process of negotiating with them, their agents and any potential future employers to bring their contracts to an end. So far so painfully obvious. None of this will be impacted by revealing to the players, their agents and their prospective employers that they're not wanted. That's the entire premise of the negotiations. 

The 'less likely to be able to get other clubs' bit is just silliness and supposes that someone involved in the negotiations wasn't previously aware that United are seeking to offload the players because they're not wanted. I'm trying to be polite here but really, behave yourself.

Very mature of you: you could have simply agreed to differ.

Can I ask you one thing: did Robbie Neilson saying publicly "players in the dressing-room who aren’t good enough" help our situation or hinder us financially. 

If you think it helped, can you explain why?

10 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Very mature of you: you could have simply agreed to differ.

Can I ask you one thing: did Robbie Neilson saying publicly "players in the dressing-room who aren’t good enough" help our situation or hinder us financially. 

If you think it helped, can you explain why?

It clearly doesn't makes the slightest difference.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Behave yourself.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'm trying to be polite here but really, behave yourself.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

The fact that these unwanted players are unwanted won't come as a surprise to anyone, except possibly you.

18 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It clearly doesn't makes the slightest difference.

How supercilious of you  :huh:

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I understand your frustration but I’d rather the club take a bit of time and get the right players.  I’d imagine at this time of year there’s a bit more negotiating to be done if players are still under contract at another club.

So long as we don’t make any desperate final hour shock(ing) signings a la Robbie Muirhead!

True bud just want to see some of the gutless lot moved on and replaced with better like the next fan tbh. It’s  just an annoyingly slow window where players should have been lined up ready to sign ahead of it opening that’s all 

Things take time. In terms of shipping players out it, on paper, sounds simple but you never know how difficult the players are being, the agents are being or how much the club are trying to drive their release figure down. Some players (especially those on longer contracts) will be fully aware that getting a regular and secure salary won't be easy to come by so they will just sit tight. Loemba has a large family to look after (and one that re-located to Dundee) and with Adam Barton, he has probably ran out of chances in terms of full-time football so for him he is sitting on a two year, reasonably well paid contract. It could, potentially, one of  his last full-time football contracts and he is only 28.

As for signing players it is going to take time for the better players to arrive. They will be a bit more in demand and again you are reliant on the player or the agent. The club will have made up their mind but we then need to wait on them. If you look at Cammy Smith then there is probably a likelihood that once clubs found out he was available then he will have more than just United offering him something. Then St.Mirren realise they have a player who is wanted so might (rightly so) ask for a fee. Some clubs show that they can sign players in a matter of hours but they are taking a massive gamble on untested or high risk players.

If we still get another two or three quality players coming in then if it takes a couple of weeks then so be it. Once we get the Dunfermline game out the way (and hopefully with three points) then we have a fortnight of a break in terms of league duty. 

40 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Things take time. In terms of shipping players out it, on paper, sounds simple but you never know how difficult the players are being, the agents are being or how much the club are trying to drive their release figure down. Some players (especially those on longer contracts) will be fully aware that getting a regular and secure salary won't be easy to come by so they will just sit tight. Loemba has a large family to look after (and one that re-located to Dundee) and with Adam Barton, he has probably ran out of chances in terms of full-time football so for him he is sitting on a two year, reasonably well paid contract. It could, potentially, one of  his last full-time football contracts and he is only 28.

As for signing players it is going to take time for the better players to arrive. They will be a bit more in demand and again you are reliant on the player or the agent. The club will have made up their mind but we then need to wait on them. If you look at Cammy Smith then there is probably a likelihood that once clubs found out he was available then he will have more than just United offering him something. Then St.Mirren realise they have a player who is wanted so might (rightly so) ask for a fee. Some clubs show that they can sign players in a matter of hours but they are taking a massive gamble on untested or high risk players.

If we still get another two or three quality players coming in then if it takes a couple of weeks then so be it. Once we get the Dunfermline game out the way (and hopefully with three points) then we have a fortnight of a break in terms of league duty. 

I reckon you’re correct about the relocation issue.  A good idea in theory but can be an impediment in moving players on if they have made a commitment to live in the area.

That said Barton and Loemba would be a good fit at Dundee.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I think some of our fans struggle to accept these things.