Dundee United 2018/2019

13 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Also, you have to factor in Robbie Neilson labelling the players he wants rid of as duds. I think that may have slowed the process down.

Declaring that we are desperate to get rid of certain players, a week before the opening of the transfer window, was a big gamble: on the one hand, it tells suitors that they have a good chance of signing players; on the other, it tells them that they will be available cheap.  Thus far it doesn't look to have been hugely successful, and I assume that is why he "clarified" his comments yesterday, but there are still three weeks to go.

I also find it quite odd, from a commercial/negotiating standpoint, that we allowed Craig Curran to leave (for free) without having any agreement in place with Cammy Smith.  St Mirren's hand improved the second that we were one striker down. 

11 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Speaking of outrageous panic signings, one of our ex players is taking an ethical stand.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/08/finland-riku-riski-refuses-to-play-sweden-match-in-qatar-ethical-reasons

Good on him.  I doubt any of the big stars will follow suit when the World Cup rolls around, right enough, but we shall see...

8 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Things take time. In terms of shipping players out it, on paper, sounds simple but you never know how difficult the players are being, the agents are being or how much the club are trying to drive their release figure down. Some players (especially those on longer contracts) will be fully aware that getting a regular and secure salary won't be easy to come by so they will just sit tight.

Well said.  The only words I would argue with are those in bold - at the end of the day we gave these players these contracts and they are perfectly to their wage.  It is not really "being difficult".  We allowed Laszlo to hand out lucrative and long contracts to players that he liked but, it turns out, are not very good at football.  We then sacked Laszlo.  We have to take our medicine.

2 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Just read that on Arab Anonymous. That’s a joke! Seems like some clubs want to just keep us down.

If that was true rumours about us signing Tomas Cerny on loan from that same club wouldn’t be doing the rounds would they ?

wee update for those that missed it 

https://discoverysportsmedia.com/robbie-neilson-trust-us-to-get-the-right-ones-in/

Just now, Ralphies_Chip said:

The Cerny rumours come from that virgin "Agent Scotland" on Twitter. It's a load of fuckin nonsense!!

That may well be but wouldn’t even be mentioned anywhere bud 

19 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Come off it, let’s not start to sound like Rangers fans.

All rumours unless they sign or you hear it from the players or staff themselves so wouldn’t believe he was all for coming but big bad Aberdeen said F Off you dabs and stay down in the seaside leagues. At this level of paranoia next you will say such things like the US government caused 9/11 and the McCann’s killed Maddie and hid her body amongst other wild ideas, all conspiracy theories unless proven end of the day not worth worrying about tbh what will be will be 

2 hours ago, FifeArab said:

Apparently we agreed terms with Greg Tansey and he was happy to come but Aberdeen wanted a fee but they let him go to St Mirren for free.

Maybe St Mirren were going to pay more of his wages and Aberdeen wouldnt need to contribute much to a pay package. 

Remember, weve got a bloated squad full of shite and wages will be tighter than a Premiership teams budget. 

Thanks Csaba and Mike. 

ah, Arabs Anonymous, the source of all things truth.

Not saying it is mate. However that post did seem pretty genuine from a guy who is mates with said player. Just seems a bit shit Aberdeen would play hard ball with United but let him go to St Mirren. Obviously we don’t know everything behind it but we have ended up losing out which is a real shame.

12 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Well said.  The only words I would argue with are those in bold - at the end of the day we gave these players these contracts and they are perfectly to their wage.  It is not really "being difficult".  We allowed Laszlo to hand out lucrative and long contracts to players that he liked but, it turns out, are not very good at football.  We then sacked Laszlo.  We have to take our medicine.

I think I was maybe more meaning that they have been difficult from the club's point of view but as you say they are perfectly entitled to their wages and their contract being honoured.