Dundee United 2018/2019

Getting to the play off final and facing St Mirren is the best realistic option.  I’m not saying we would definitely go up but it would be our best chance.
Getting to the final will still be a tough ask.

Dont think its that a tough ask to get to the final. We have better players than Ayr and Inverness. We should really be turning teams like that over. Granted we have lost games to them this year but if we turn up we should really be too good for these two teams.

Guest DAVIDB69

Dont think its that a tough ask to get to the final. We have better players than Ayr and Inverness. We should really be turning teams like that over. Granted we have lost games to them this year but if we turn up we should really be too good for these two teams.

We have not proved ourselves against these teams all season.

It's obviously a very tough ask. You can argue that you have better players all you want, but your team has done nothing to suggest that these games wouldn't be tough for them. So why on earth would it not be that tough an ask?

It's obviously a very tough ask. You can argue that you have better players all you want, but your team has done nothing to suggest that these games wouldn't be tough for them. So why on earth would it not be that tough an ask?

It’s not even a case we’ve beaten them once this season with a bit of luck. We’ve absolutely dominated them 3 times this season. If we beat them again on Friday then I’d feel confident going up against them in the playoffs. Providing of course we get past ICT which is a tough ask given our results against them this season.

It’s not even a case we’ve beaten them once this season with a bit of luck. We’ve absolutely dominated them 3 times this season. If we beat them again on Friday then I’d feel confident going up against them in the playoffs. Providing of course we get past ICT which is a tough ask given our results against them this season.

I’d take any of the three teams against St Mirren, Hamilton or Dundee.

25 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’d take any of the three teams against St Mirren, Hamilton or Dundee.

Agreed. 

As poor as we were the year we came down, we would’ve survived easily if there was 3 teams as bad as there are this season. 

I’m more fearful of the games versus the championship clubs than the 11th placed team. 

Hamilton always seem to do just enough to stay up. They scrap and love digging in. Theyve done us before too so wouldnt be an easy game.

A derby...f**k that. It all goes up in the air for that one. Id prefer to skip that one.

The Maureens are shite as we've beaten them already. Id prefer them. 100%. If we get there....and thats a big if.

15 hours ago, NEFarab said:

As poor as we were the year we came down, we would’ve survived easily if there was 3 teams as bad as there are this season. 

Worth mentioning your point tally at this stage would have you tied with St Mirren, who sit 11th.

Its not as if you went down with a record high points tally.

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning your point tally at this stage would have you tied with St Mirren, who sit 11th.

We did go down with a record amount of shitehawks in the team though.

18 hours ago, NEFarab said:

Agreed. 

I’m more fearful of the games versus the championship clubs than the 11th placed team. 

I'm not sure about that. There were a lot of really shit teams in the division that season. Looks like the standard of the Premiership has gone up since we left. No coincidence, I'm sure.

Edited by Pull My Strings

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren have picked up 7 of their points against Dundee though.

We didn’t have a single team which was comparable to this Dundee team who they’ve earned a third of their points against. 

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'm not sure about that. There were a lot of really shit teams in the division that season. Looks like the standard of the Premiership has gone up since we left. No coincidence, I'm sure.

Not saying that the league as a whole isn’t better now, it almost definitely is with the return of hibs, arrival of the rangers etc.

However, when we came down we didn’t have two other teams as inept as us the same way the three at the bottom do this year. 

I’m almost certain our relegated side, one which picked up 28 points (should’ve been 31 without the Ali Coote debacle), would survive this season. 

12 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

Not saying that the league as a whole isn’t better now, it almost definitely is with the return of hibs, arrival of the rangers etc.

However, when we came down we didn’t have two other teams as inept as us the same way the three at the bottom do this year. 

I’m almost certain our relegated side, one which picked up 28 points (should’ve been 31 without the Ali Coote debacle), would survive this season. 

I don't know. My recollection is that we were a bloody shambles but still managed to compete in most games against most of the other teams in the division (before losing, natch). It wasn't that the teams beating us were any good just that we were suicidally bad at taking points in close games.

Edit: I've just checked to see how many points Dundee have - yeah, we'd have finished above them.

Edited by Pull My Strings

13 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I don't know. My recollection is that we were a bloody shambles but still managed to compete in most games against most of the other teams in the division (before losing, natch). It wasn't that the teams beating us were any good just that we were suicidally bad at taking points in close games.

Edit: I've just checked to see how many points Dundee have - yeah, we'd have finished above them.

Just about everything from that season bar the two county games in a week was absolutely fucking awful but you’re right, we’d comfortably finish above Dundee. 

Sure we will find out in the playoffs. Ayr have hit a brick wall quite clearly and their small squad which granted has 2 or 3 good players has had its best period. Inverness may be tough but over two legs I see us beating them too.

21 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Sure we will find out in the playoffs. Ayr have hit a brick wall quite clearly and their small squad which granted has 2 or 3 good players has had its best period. Inverness may be tough but over two legs I see us beating them too.

Ayr have made us their bitches regardless of their general form so far this season. I have no confidence in us beating them at the moment.

Just as well we don't have a game against them any time soon, eh?

Going on the way the season has gone so far, remembering the recent game where a QOTS team who hadnt won in aaaages beat us, id say anyone confidently thinking we're going to beat Ayr needs sectioned under the mental health act.