2018/2019 lineup confirmed

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

The EPL is one thing but the Scottish Championship is another. If Livingston can win promotion out of a hard league into the top flight having played in the division below then it is possible for a well organised team without any big names to win this league. There is little between most of the teams and consistency is the key to success.

You could try replying like an adult instead of being a baby when someone doesn't agree with you.

If what Livingston did was realistic and achievable on a regular basis then it wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

This pre season will be spent with everyone tipping team like Alloa, Ayr, Morton and Queens as dark horses "because Livi dun it so they can too!"

None of the above mentioned teams will be anywhere near the title or even second come this time next year.

Morton and Queens best possible hope is to somehow sneak into 4th while all the teams gunning for the title are clambering over each other, although this too is very unlikely, unless, as I mentioned before, Morton make a very good appointment, have a very good window and all the players gel very quickly.

Queens are a good, solid side, but they lack the quality and, more importantly the depth to mount a serious assault on the top end of the division, as evidenced by their capitulation last season and their good start falling off into a steady(ish) mid-table this season.

The petty namecalling at the end of your post suggests you realise you're talking nonsense.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Shaun Rooney would be a decent player if he could defend or attack.

He actually can attack if you call head down and run at opponents attacking,  which can undoubtedly be  exciting if not exactly elegant.  He was signed as a RB/CH,  didn't feature much at CH and was typical of Naysmith's recruitment of right backs in that his ability to defend was,  shall we say,  lacking.  Maybe playing him further forward in right midfield would be a more suitable position. Top bloke I believe who gives it his all when he plays but very raw technically. 

3 hours ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

We’ll be the surprise package for many this season, trust me.

There’s absolutely no way this statement could possibly come back to bite you on the arse come May.

None at all.

I think that next years championship could be a fascinating league with the amount of quality teams in it so for me it's way too early to be making predictions as the teams have barely begun their off-season recruitment, for example teams like Falkirk and QotS are undergoing full-scale rebuilding of their sides so if they can recruit good players then they have a chance of being competitive while the likes of Ross County and Partick will want to try to keep as many players as they can.  Meanwhile Ayr have an exciting young side and could make some noise if they recruit in the right places and both Dundee United and ICT will be working overtime to build sides worthy of a promotion charge.

All this to say is that the summer and next season could be fascinating at this level, I'll reserve my predictions for the end of July

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I'm not familiar with Shaun Rooney. He must have done something right to impress John Robertson?

I know he's a defender but where in the back four best suits him?

He's nominally a defender (right back who can cover centre back) but it's the weakest part of his game. He's very tall, very quick, dangerous to the opposition when he has the ball at his feet and he's a set piece threat. But he's a hopeless defender. He can't mark, His positional sense is appalling. Often caught wrong side of his man resulting in silly fouls or just losing an opponent who gets in a free shot / goal. Gets booked a lot and gives away dangerous free kicks on the edge of his own box constantly. He's raw but he's 21 now and has been playing full time football at a half decent level for three years and is still doing it.

Robertson's recruitment this summer is already interesting. Tom Walsh didn't exactly set any heather on fire either and if rumours of an interest in Kyle Hutton are true (functional, neat and tidy but no goal threat and lacking a creative bone in his body) then he's backing himself to make something of players who haven't exactly shown their quality consistently up to now. He's either a genius coach or it's going to come back and bite him.

1 hour ago, TheMessiah said:

If what Livingston did was realistic and achievable on a regular basis then it wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

This pre season will be spent with everyone tipping team like Alloa, Ayr, Morton and Queens as dark horses "because Livi dun it so they can too!"

None of the above mentioned teams will be anywhere near the title or even second come this time next year.

Morton and Queens best possible hope is to somehow sneak into 4th while all the teams gunning for the title are clambering over each other, although this too is very unlikely, unless, as I mentioned before, Morton make a very good appointment, have a very good window and all the players gel very quickly.

Queens are a good, solid side, but they lack the quality and, more importantly the depth to mount a serious assault on the top end of the division, as evidenced by their capitulation last season and their good start falling off into a steady(ish) mid-table this season.

The petty namecalling at the end of your post suggests you realise you're talking nonsense.

This is relatively fair. We're likely to run a smaller squad than last year and depend on a small number of senior players augmented by younger ones. We'll need a lot of luck on the injury front to compete likely and the likes of Murray, Fergusson and Bell will need to contribute more. But if we get some luck and Dobbie / Harkins continue to enjoy an Indian Summer in their careers then it's not impossible to "do a Livingston". I'm not quite sure where the inflated confidence of Dunfermline fans comes from that they aren't pretty much in the same category as ourselves and Morton and probably Falkirk. Possibly even Dundee United and Thistle. All in a major state of flux with big player turnovers. Some have more money than others obviously but Dunfermline can have all the money they like if they lose the likes of Clark, Aird, McManus and Cardle / Higginbotham then they've a lot to do.

12 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Up at half 5 on a Tuesday morning shitposting on a scottish football forum, jeepers.

Well no I wasn't actually, because I don't currently live in the UK; but you quite clearly were up at that time when thumping out that utterly gormless comeback. Swing and a miss champ.

Thanks for playing anyway. 

1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

43 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well no I wasn't actually, because I don't currently live in the UK; but you quite clearly were up at that time when thumping out that utterly gormless comeback. Swing and a miss champ.

Don’t currently live in the UK eh? You are not even on the same planet as the rest of us chump. 

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Shaun Rooney would be a decent player if he could defend or attack.

He already sounds better than Seedorf.

2 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

You’d have to put down Ross County as the favourites. They spend a lot of money, and have a number of Premiership quality players already such as Vigurs, Draper, McKay, Davies, Schalk and more.

Schalk is apparently leaving and there are questions as to whether Davies will accept the reduced wages on offer with their relegation.

3 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Don’t currently live in the UK eh? You are not even on the same planet as the rest of us chump. 

That is an absolute #telt btw. Almost TOO funny, if that's possible.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Worked for Glitter, works for you, fair fucks.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's nominally a defender (right back who can cover centre back) but it's the weakest part of his game. He's very tall, very quick, dangerous to the opposition when he has the ball at his feet and he's a set piece threat. But he's a hopeless defender. He can't mark, His positional sense is appalling. Often caught wrong side of his man resulting in silly fouls or just losing an opponent who gets in a free shot / goal. Gets booked a lot and gives away dangerous free kicks on the edge of his own box constantly.

This is uncanny. Has he ever ruined the career of a promising St. Mirren youngster?

Far too early to say yet who'll be doing what next season really.  Far too many mibbaes.

Falkirk   -  Building a brand new team

Partick - Dire against Livi look like building a brand new team

County - must be awful if their worse than that partick side but will spend mopney

Dundee United - smaller budget than last couple of years I would expect and czaba still in charge another side building virtually a brand new team.

Dunfermline - Unconfirmed rumours that their losing a few players a lot will depend on who comes in to replace tham if thats the case.

Queens - Dobbie now 35 and was starting to creak a bit last season. Harkins 33 and been creaking for a few years already. 

ICT - Lost vigurs budget cuts? 

Morton - new manager probably means new team.

Ayr - Team full of players that have struggled at this level before . Will need to strengthen but at least full time this time.

Alloa -  will be relegated.

7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Far too early to say yet who'll be doing what next season really.  Far too many mibbaes.

Falkirk   -  Building a brand new team

Partick - Dire against Livi look like building a brand new team

County - must be awful if their worse than that partick side but will spend mopney

Dundee United - smaller budget than last couple of years I would expect and czaba still in charge another side building virtually a brand new team.

Dunfermline - Unconfirmed rumours that their losing a few players a lot will depend on who comes in to replace tham if thats the case.

Queens - Dobbie now 35 and was starting to creak a bit last season. Harkins 33 and been creaking for a few years already. 

ICT - Lost vigurs budget cuts? 

Morton - new manager probably means new team.

Ayr - Team full of players that have struggled at this level before . Will need to strengthen but at least full time this time.

Alloa -  will be relegated.

Chris Higgins, Michael Moffat, Andy Geggan, Craig Moore and Mark Kerr haven’t exactly struggled at this level before. I agree we will need a good few additions to be more competitive this year, however I feel we’re a lot better equipped so far than we were in our previous 3 visits. Looking forward to Shankland (touch wood) proving a lot of folk round as well.  Boys only 22 so still has a long way to go in his career.

17 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Chris Higgins, Michael Moffat, Andy Geggan, Craig Moore and Mark Kerr haven’t exactly struggled at this level before. I agree we will need a good few additions to be more competitive this year, however I feel we’re a lot better equipped so far than we were in our previous 3 visits. Looking forward to Shankland (touch wood) proving a lot of folk round as well.  Boys only 22 so still has a long way to go in his career.

You obviously didnt see Mark Kerr playing at this level for us before moving to you. There's a reason why he dropped down a league. Moffat and Geggan are also league one players at best. They were pretty dire at Dunfermline when we played them. 

54 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You obviously didnt see Mark Kerr playing at this level for us before moving to you. There's a reason why he dropped down a league. Moffat and Geggan are also league one players at best. They were pretty dire at Dunfermline when we played them. 

They’re all well experienced at this level to do a job for us. Kerr for example won’t play 36 games, McCall will pick and choose games for him, im sure he still has something to offer at this level for at least one more year. 

31 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

They’re all well experienced at this level to do a job for us. Kerr for example won’t play 36 games, McCall will pick and choose games for him, im sure he still has something to offer at this level for at least one more year. 

Good luck on that one.

It’s also worth pointing out that Docherty, Crawford and Forrest are the only players that were regularly playing last time in the Championship and will regularly be playing this time around.

We’ll have a completely different defence and frontline from 2 years ago without the absolute duds like Harkins, Meggatt, Boyle and El Alagui.

Archived