(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

If everyone requests odds on a different 'New Maradona' we can have a Record story on the shortlist of Ariel Ortega, Marcelo Gallardo, Carlos Marinelli, Javier Saviola and Andres D'Alessandro by Friday.
Was coming in with Gallardo for the sweep. b*****ds.

Ach well, Fernando Redondo has shown interest, and, shifting back to Spain, Julen Guerrero has been viewing houses in Paisley as he makes a play to oust Guti from the potential St Mirren hotseat.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You think? Stubbs seemed like a complete failure at Hibs who was verging on being sacked before winning the cup, he then jumped ship at the first opportunity, to the relief of Hibs fans.

Now do the same sort of negative summary for both McIntyre and Caldwell. He wasn't saying Stubbs is the best man for the job, he was saying he looks the best of a bunch of bad candidates.

Pragmatically, if there isn't a manager that I would prefer, and to be honest there isn't, we should go for a manager who is likely to have the greatest pull for players. In that case the prime target based purely on shallow assumption, would be Guti, but other than him you have to say Stubbs, for good or bad, has a higher profile than the others being interviewed.

Who knows, with the way the English leagues are, Ross could be punted within 6 months (I hope not, I do genuinely wish him well). If that was the case and we were struggling at the time after making a bad appointment now, could he refuse our SOS? Not that I would put money on any of that actually coming to fruition.

9 hours ago, AW saint said:

We need a manager who can take us forward. Neither Stubbs or Mcintyre can do that. Epic fail imo

Have you got a crystal ball. It's hilarious how down beat so many Saints fans are at Stubbs making out how crap he is before he has started the job. Mellon it looks like Tranmere Rovers are wanting to keep him how can we compete with their wages , we can't. The Hollywood hit list from Holland and Spain  have never heard of Paisley never mind St Mirren. Could they name one Celtic player from the curret team ? Doubt it. We need our feet on the ground and get behind the new manager move  forward stop living in dream land.

24 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Now do the same sort of negative summary for both McIntyre and Caldwell. He wasn't saying Stubbs is the best man for the job, he was saying he looks the best of a bunch of bad candidates.

I don't know anything about Caldwell as a manager. McIntyre had QOS playing well, and had County safe in the top flight until the final season, and even then he'd likely have kept them up if he'd stayed, Coyle had more to do with their relegation than McIntyre. 

Stubbs failed at Hibs, won a cup on the way, and then failed at Rotherham. You'd be hiring him entirely on one cup run. He's not even got experience of managing in the top flight, if that's what your after. 

On 6/5/2018 at 23:59, RandomGuy. said:

I imagine the publicity is all folk like Kluivert are after. They apply and apply for jobs all over Europe constantly yet never seem to actually manage anyone.

Kevin Harper knows why Kluivert won't get the job.....

I'm bored of it now. I want to start hearing about player signings and it's embarrassingly quiet on that front while this shite's going on.

Just take fucking anyone. We're in a battle this season either way now, let's just get our heads down and crack on with it. Try to avoid the drop and reassess next season.

29 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Have you got a crystal ball. It's hilarious how down beat so many Saints fans are at Stubbs making out how crap he is before he has started the job. Mellon it looks like Tranmere Rovers are wanting to keep him how can we compete with their wages , we can't. The Hollywood hit list from Holland and Spain  have never heard of Paisley never mind St Mirren. Could they name one Celtic player from the curret team ? Doubt it. We need our feet on the ground and get behind the new manager move  forward stop living in dream land.

:huh:

Is this a pre-requisite question to get the St Mirren job?

"Which rival club had a shop in our stadium and can you name one of their players?"

I'd imagine it feels like a free hit at it. You either stay up and become a hero or get relegated and call it a difficult season following promotion/first year in the job.

St Mirren often give young managers a chance when they have had success at lower divisions like Jack Ross, Ian Murray, Danny Lennon. I'd want Hopkins if I was a St Mirren supporter.

14 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

:huh:

Is this a pre-requisite question to get the St Mirren job?

"Which rival club had a shop in our stadium and can you name one of their players?"

Your point being ? Because we rented out the stadium for a Celtic friendly you getting a hard on from  that. Really :huh: Well at least we did not go bust not one or twice by spending what we don' have Mr Dundee. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Your point being ? Because we rented out the stadium for a Celtic friendly you getting a hard on from  that. Really :huh: Well at least we did not go bust not one or twice by spending what we don' have Mr Dundee. 

Tbf he has a point. You specifically mentioned that a knowledge of Celtic players is a requirement for your next manager. 

Just now, Demented Zebra said:

C'mon man, I make that my last 3 responses from St Mirren fans that have inexplicably referred to our administrations. Is this the default response to any time a Dee posts? You boys need to get some new material or our match threads are going to be tedious affairs this season. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf he has a point. You specifically mentioned that a knowledge of Celtic players is a requirement for your next manager. 

Yes just my view point being why employ someone who knows nothing of Scottish football.  ST Mirren is a club who has to work within the Scottish transfer market and lower reaches of English leagues these superstars have no idea of that market.  That was my original point. 

17 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

C'mon man, I make that my last 3 responses from St Mirren fans that have inexplicably referred to our administrations. Is this the default response to any time a Dee posts? You boys need to get some new material or our match threads are going to be tedious affairs this season. 

Your throwing stones at glass houses going on about Celtic hiring our stadium . We did not like that anymore than you do. Like you we are fans of our clubs. Have a view point on the manager is fine let's keep it on topic. 

33 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Your throwing stones at glass houses going on about Celtic hiring our stadium . We did not like that anymore than you do. Like you we are fans of our clubs. Have a view point on the manager is fine let's keep it on topic. 

To be fair, the question he was asking was why would a foreign manager be asked to name a Celtic player at a job interview for St Mirren? 

Anyway. Glad this is all being resolved in next 24 hours. Time to make moves and get a squad built. Whoever it is needs 100% backing from the supporters instead of 'that's shite, I wanted ______' 

I include myself in that should be appoint Caldwell or Mcintyre. They'll need full supporters backing. 

8 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It definitely won’t be Caldwell. Stubbs or McIntyre with Kearney as an outsider.

Has your source changed his mind òn Stubbs Vince , not trying to be funny here maybe the board all sat down together and had a vote ? 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You think? Stubbs seemed like a complete failure at Hibs who was verging on being sacked before winning the cup, he then jumped ship at the first opportunity, to the relief of Hibs fans. 

Judge him on league results only and I'm not sure he looks good at all. 

Looking at it completely based on records, he was in charge for Hibs for 100 matches and they won 59.

He's got the strongest win rate of any of the remaining candidates. 

Archived