(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

You could have ronaldo in your squad but if your a shit manager it won't make a blind bit of difference. Hibs fans are blinded by the fact that he won them the cup after so many years and ignore the fact he struggled to compete with peter houston over two seasons.  A cup defeat, 3rd in the league and beaten over two legs in the playoffs by a team they should never be struggling against. Lennon won the league at a canter the next season  with a lot of the same players.

With almost exactly the same points total (71) as Stubbs won in each of the previous two seasons (70 in both). The reason Hibs did or did not win the league in those years was the presence (or otherwise) of Hearts and Rangers. Lennon really didn't change that much, other than sign a decent goalkeeper and shitfest through a few draws against Morton to get over the line.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JamesM82 said:

With almost exactly the same points total (71) as Stubbs won in each of the previous two seasons (70 in both). The reason Hibs did or did not win the league in those years was the presence (or otherwise) of Hearts and Rangers. Lennon really didn't change that much, other than sign a decent goalkeeper and shitfest through a few draws against Morton to get over the line.

And the fact that he managed to finish above every side he had a bigger budget than unlike Stubbs.  I'm not blowing Falkirks trumpet here I'm just pointing out that Stubbs as was found out at Rotherham is a pretty pish manager. Saints need someone who is going to overachieve on their budget and Stubbs is a serial under achiever when it comes to that.

It looks like Stubbs, Caldwell, Kearney and McIntyre is the final four. I'd be tempted to take a punt on Kearney but if it's not him I'd far rather have Stubbs than the other two. I'm guessing the Saints fans who are defending his record are doing so for similar reasons.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

And the fact that he managed to finish above every side he had a bigger budget than unlike Stubbs.  I'm not blowing Falkirks trumpet here I'm just pointing out that Stubbs as was found out at Rotherham is a pretty pish manager. Saints need someone who is going to overachieve on their budget and Stubbs is a serial under achiever when it comes to that.

You're exaggerating. He's had two full seasons as a manager. He finished second in the first year, when he had the third highest budget. He finished third in the second season, when he had the second highest budget.

Rotherham was a stupid job for him to take. They had only just avoided relegation the previous year because Warnock (who is an excellent manager at that level) had pulled off a miraculous escape, but he then fucked off at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

It looks like Stubbs, Caldwell, Kearney and McIntyre is the final four. I'd be tempted to take a punt on Kearney but if it's not him I'd far rather have Stubbs than the other two. I'm guessing the Saints fans who are defending his record are doing so for similar reasons.

Exactly the reason I'm defending his record. I'm sure the Saints fans who are defending McIntyre are doing so for similar reasons that he's done OK through his career. 

I don't think for a moment that means any of us are jumping through hoops at the prospect. 

8 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

You're exaggerating. He's had two full seasons as a manager. He finished second in the first year, when he had the third highest budget. He finished third in the second season, when he had the second highest budget.

Rotherham was a stupid job for him to take. They had only just avoided relegation the previous year because Warnock (who is an excellent manager at that level) had pulled off a miraculous escape, but he then fucked off at the end of the season.

If Stubbs is that good a manager how come he couldnt replicate Warnock?  Rotherham were relegated by a country mile  .

Stubbs went into a Hibs who were shamboloc from top to bottom and made them respectable, reaching two major cup finals, dishing out multiple Sevco skuddings and winning the Scottish Cup 

Rotherham was a bizarre job choice, lots of good managers get hung out to dry in England, I wouldn’t use that as a yard stick 

15 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Stubbs went into a Hibs who were shamboloc from top to bottom and made them respectable, reaching two major cup finals, dishing out multiple Sevco skuddings and winning the Scottish Cup 

Rotherham was a bizarre job choice, lots of good managers get hung out to dry in England, I wouldn’t use that as a yard stick 

This is all true. Regarding Hibs, the question I would have is how much of the turnaround was due to Stubbs, and how much was due to Dempster / Craig (i.e. the overall structure) being changed for the better. Before those changes, Hibs gave their managers pretty much full reign but operated on very tight budgets.  Most of them weren't up to it. Stubbs and Lennon have only been "head coaches" rather than manager, and Dempster took more risk with the budgets (Hibs would have made large losses but for the cup runs). I suspect he would have more responsibilities at St Mirren than he did at Hibs.

Rotherham, as you say, can be disregarded to some extent due to the nuttiness of English league football, particularly at that level.  Lower level teams in England give their managers some time (e.g. Derek Adams turning around Plymouth this year), but their Championship is extremely cut-throat. Perfectly good managers in Scotland have had a clunker due to that (e.g. McInnes). He was wrong to take the job and folk said that at the time. I think he took it because he was keen to move back down nearer Liverpool, but it was daft from a job security / progression point of view.

26 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Coyle came into us after we'd almost got relegated, and completely turned us around, taking us far in Cups yet never getting relegated. 

Sometimes managers arrive at a club that's dipped as far as it can, and are inevitably going to experience an upturn. 

56 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Respectable? They were still getting the pish ripped out them every time they bottled it against us when he was in charge. 

14 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Respectable? They were still getting the pish ripped out them every time they bottled it against us when he was in charge. 

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Sure you are son.

It's fair enough really, because "finishing above Hibs" two years ago was the last halfway decent thing  done by Falkirk.

2 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Sure you are son.

It's fair enough really, because "finishing above Hibs" two years ago is about the last halfway decent thing  done by Falkirk.

And it was an utter embarrassment for the Hibs manager at that time, who was that again?

I for one, would be utterly delighted if St Mirren appointed Stubbs. McIntyre is just as uninspiring, but a safer pair of hands than him.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

And it was an utter embarrassment for the Hibs manager at that time, who was that again?

I for one, would be utterly delighted if St Mirren appointed Stubbs. McIntyre is just as uninspiring, but a safer pair of hands than him.

Not sure why a Dundee fan is knocking managers who have won a major trophy in living memory.

1 minute ago, JamesM82 said:

Not sure why a Dundee fan is knocking managers who have won a major trophy in living memory.

It's sad that that is your only justification for him being anything other than inept. Jim McIntyre has also won a major trophy, which I'm sure you'll remember just as fondly?

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's sad that that is your only justification for him being anything other than inept. Jim McIntyre has also won a major trophy, which I'm sure you'll remember just as fondly?

That's why I said "managers" (plural), not "a manager".

I'm sure you will be equally dismissive of the next Dundee manager that wins a major trophy. Whenever that may be.

If he'd come b

18 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Sure you are son.

It's fair enough really, because "finishing above Hibs" two years ago was the last halfway decent thing  done by Falkirk.

If he'd come below Raith feckin Rovers I'd still be pointing out the same thing. Its the fact that he failed miserable to finish higher than a team even though he had 3 times the budget thats the point here and not the fact that it happened to be Falkirk.

It’s over simplistic to think of managers as being good or bad. Sure, some are usually bad and some are usually good but success or not is down to the fit between the manager and the job. 

Getting Hibs from disarray to promoted is a very different job to improving a good div 1 side to stay in the SPL.

trying to keep ross co up is more similar but still different.

Then there is the range of duties and organisational structure to consider.  Does the manager manage the budget for example? And the culture and personalities already in place can also have an impact.

In summary, I don’t care who you appoint, you weegie p***ks.

Archived