League Cup 2018/19 Group G

Was looking at the groups earlier.

Grp A - Runner up could be any one of Alloa, Arbroath or Ross County but whoever it is WILL finish on 8 pts.

Grp B - Forfar could actually win the group with an outright win over St Johnstone. In that case St Johnstone would finish 2nd on 8. A penalties win for Forfar gets them 2nd on 7. Any other result means runner up will finish on 6 pts.

Grp C - Inverness on 9 play Hearts on 6. If Hearts win outright ICT will be runner up on 9. Otherwise Hearts will be runners up on either 6, 7 or 8 pts.

Grp D - If Dundee beat Brechin they will be runners up on 9. A penalty win leaves them on 8. Any other result means 2nd will have 7.

Grp E - Runners up here will have at least 9, possibly 10.

Grp F - Assuming Livi get at least 2 pts v Berwick then either Airdrie will be runner up on 9 or 8 if they can beat Accies or one of them will be runner up on 7.

Grp G - Presuming Motherwell beat Clyde we will be runner up on 9.

Grp H - Its likely Kilmarnock and St Mirren both win their last game to finish on 10 and 9.

So there are still 5 groups where runner up could get 9. I expect at least one of them wont though. Peterhead were very unlucky to go out on 9 last year. It wont happen often.

I predict four best runners up will be QoS, Dundee, Ayr or Partick and either Inverness if Hearts win the group or St Mirren if Hearts dont.

Four seeded group winners will likely be Dunfermline, whoever wins the Ayr / Partick game on 11 or 12 pts, Livingston and  St Johnstone. Although Inverness would replace one if they beat Hearts on the Sunday. Alloa could be seeded if they beat County.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its got absolutely nothing to do with the formation. I made no comment on the formation. However bemoaning Stirling being left out for a more defensive player is to my mind the same as complaining we werent positive enough. If its not what you meant my apologies. Its how I read it.

Bit late to the party but since its a positive thought I'd throw in that I thought Todd looked a player for large parts of the first half when he got on the ball. To the extent that I was surprised when he was subbed in the second half, before realising that that was the first time I'd actually noticed him in the 2nd half so assume he drifted out of the game by that point. Still hope for the future for sure - reckon he will get some goals this season.

For Motherwell fans;

Looks like you’ll be bottom left of the main stand. Where the pitches are. 

Pubs; it’s limited. Broadwood farm is close but you’ll wait forever for a beer and it isn’t a typical pub. Bar 58 isnt open and unless you’ve paid for tapas in advance your choice is limited. My recommendation is Brodens in Condorrat but it’s a bit of a walk to/from the ground (10/15 mins maybe) - if you get there before the game a taxi should cost no more than a fiver ‭01236 722772‬. 

Also the Smiddy and Craigmarloch Lodge. Craigmarloch is closer to Croy Train station but a longer walk to the ground. A couple of quid in a taxi to the stadium from either though.

Both decent enough pubs but unless you know the area they’re both in, or game for some walking I’d get your £12 match entrance in advance for the Arria Lounge at the stadium. Here’s the link if you want to do that. http://m.clydefc.co.uk/news/2018/07/24/5886/#.W1wFVKTTWaM

I reckon Motherwell will have around 1500 seats cordoned off in the main stand for them which will take up around half of it (seats 3300ish). Hopefully our fans are out in numbers too and make it a cracking atmosphere and the players follow this with a great match.

Would be happy if we avoided defeat in 90 minutes given the current gulf between the sides. We do have enough to trouble Motherwell and I don’t just mean DGW, although he is the obvious danger-man for us. The key today is how our defence deals with Motherwell’s attack rather than how the opposition deal with ours.

With it being on TV I cannot see us taking much more than 4-500 fans for this game. 

I think the pitch is artificial which is always and advantage to the home side. Hopefully better than Accies abysmal effort from last few seasons. Also going to be some rain and windy. 

All that said I would like to think the players turn up as again a win is what we need much like v QOS. 

I guess it all depends on which version of pre-season Motherwell turn up. If it's the one that played against City and Queens, where we did look like a team from a higher level, we'll be fine. If the sluggish and unimaginative team that played against Stranraer appear, then it's anyone's guess. When we play at a high tempo, even decent sides in the Premier don't enjoy it - and lower division defenders certainly don't - so that's what I want to see today.

Sammon, you'd imagine would be starting after his goals - but I'd like to see Johnson get a start alongside him as he's not had a chance to show what he can do yet aside from a couple of friendlies. At the back, you'd imagine our defence for next weekend would need a run-out together..

DjLVwCKX4AATA6G.jpg

"Danny Lennon's sunk your frigate"

55 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Sounds like you’d be easier going for a pint in Motherwell and getting a taxi to the ground.

It’s a bit rainy to go roundabout spotting.

Archived