League Cup 2018/19 Group G

I find ut strange Semple is getting a wee bit of stick and Fordyce isn't. Neither of them really handled Sammon but you just need to look at the goals to realise only one of our CB's were potentially at fault, and it wasn't Semple IMO.

As someone else stated, I'd like Doyle to slot in to RB for a period. Mercer has done ok but he looked shaky again last night. I reckon Doyle was put at RM to cover Mercer defensively. But give Doyle the gig and see if he can do it effectively with an attacking player in front of him rather than weakening our entire right hand side in an attacking manner.

Having watched the goals back, I think Jacobs has to make the tackle on half way line, either that or take one for the team. Then as they advance when Sammon makes run across Mercer or Fordyce need to communicate or cover the run. Second, semple gets wrong side and doesn’t do enough, but fordyce is all over the bit also.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doyle as an attacking mid thinks he’s faster than he actually is. He’s not up to running down the wing and beating the defender, at least not at that level. Marshall also getting found out defensively at that level.

Clyde were by far the better footballing team and I think the 1-3 score line flattered us . We need to start playing on the ground as it was just constant hoof balls up the pitch which were getting us nowhere. Clyde played a nice passing game and looked dangerous every time they attacked. Goodwillie is a cracking player at this level and roasted our defence all game. Also thought rumsby played well ,he’s a player that I always liked as he’s tough as old boots and puts his head in anywhere. Well played Clyde you deserved the win [emoji106]

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I am confused having not been at the game. Radio commentary and QOSQOS above talk about a wonder save from Harkins but the footage in that Motherwell tweet is clearly of a Dobbie header. Is this a different incident or did people really mistake Harkins for Dobbie!

I thought it was Dobbie at the time but when quickly summarising last night I’d read it was Harkins so repeated the mistake.  I should have more faith in my own eyesight! But I was far away....

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You did however say you couldn't understand why Stirling had been left out. For me that is the same as saying we weren't positive enough. The manager left Stirling out and played two more defensive players in Jacobs and Doyle.

Sorry,  don't get this.  I don't see what Stirling has got to do with my observation that it didn't look like a 4-4-2 formation to me, Dobbie looked to be ahead of Dykes for a lot of the game. I mentioned Stirling because he and Todd on the wings have done ok in games up to now.  The fact your saying we played two more defensively minded midfielders sort of backs up the notion that we were relying on defending rather than attacking (or not being as positive in our aporoach).  

12 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Sorry,  don't get this.  I don't see what Stirling has got to do with my observation that it didn't look like a 4-4-2 formation to me, Dobbie looked to be ahead of Dykes for a lot of the game. I mentioned Stirling because he and Todd on the wings have done ok in games up to now.  The fact your saying we played two more defensively minded midfielders sort of backs up the notion that we were relying on defending rather than attacking (or not being as positive in our aporoach).  

Its got absolutely nothing to do with the formation. I made no comment on the formation. However bemoaning Stirling being left out for a more defensive player is to my mind the same as complaining we werent positive enough. If its not what you meant my apologies. Its how I read it.

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, I think we're pretty much there looking at it. St Mirren failing to beat Queens Park gets us over the line just about I think.

Motherwell now need to win outright at Clyde to win the group (or draw 4-4 or higher and win the penalty shoot out). Presuming they do so though we're probably still good for a best runner up spot:

We are guaranteed already to be better than the runner up in Group C. We will finish above the runner up in Group B unless Montrose beat Forfar by SEVEN tomorrow. We will finish above the runner up in Group H unless St Mirren beat Dumbarton by EIGHT goals.  We will finish above the runner up in Group F unless Airdrie beat Hamilton by 3 goals.

Even if one of those things happened:
We finish above the runner up in Group A unless County beat Arbroath and then lose to Alloa on penalties.
We finish above the runner up in Group E unless Ayr and Partick draw in 90 minutes or Partick win by a single goal margin.
We finish above the runner up in Group D if Dundee don't win their last two games by a combined five goal margin (or 4 goals whilst scoring at least 9 goals in the two games).

It would take a heck of a combination of results to knock us out. We could even get through tomorrow night if County don't win, Montrose don't win by 7 and Dundee fail to win. Granted that's fairly unlikely.

Motherwell are unlikely to be seeded with a best possible of 10 pts so we won't meet them again in the next round. Dunfermline will likely get 12. So might County (if they beat Arbroath and Alloa) and any winner in the Ayr / Partick game will too. Inverness might still get 12 though they were fortunate tonight and Livingston appear very likely to get 11. St Johnstone should probably also get 11. Motherwell would likely be 6th or 7th of the group winners if they win (and if they don't beat Clyde we'd be the 8th ranked).

If tonight's game finish with their half time scores we will be through tonight! I expect a couple of them will change though. Montrose need 9 second half goals to get above us!

49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If tonight's game finish with their half time scores we will be through tonight! I expect a couple of them will change though. Montrose need 9 second half goals to get above us!

Good arbroath beat Ross county. 

Arbroath have done us a big favour as well. If I'm looking at it correctly, even if we finish 2nd we're guaranteed to finish 'above' the 2nd place sides in the following groups:-

Group A
Group B
Group C
Group H (Unless St Mirren win 8-0)

So that's us effectively through :)

25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not tonight unless Peterhead equalise but yes its near certain. Arbroath have done us a favour too. Also means County wont be seeded so saves the prospect of a trip there.

I wasn’t meaning going through tonight,  but it’s now unlikely that we won’t progress. 

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

I wasn’t meaning going through tonight,  but it’s now unlikely that we won’t progress. 

It was unlikely before to be honest. Not an awful lot changed tonight in reality. Montrose were never going to win by 7 and whilst County losing was a bonus they had to lose their next game on penalties for both them and Alloa to finish above us anyway.

If League One Airdrie go to Premier Division Hamilton and win by three goals I will be surprised/annoyed/suspicious. 

I can see Partick/Ayr taking a draw which puts them both through. Even if it is an open game played in the right spirit, if it is a draw with 20 minutes to go both teams could just play for the draw.

It’s not a mathematical certainty, but we’re almost there.

Was discussing with someone today that being unseeded gives you a better chance of a game with one of the European participants, and maybe a better payday. Although I’d prefer a cup run.....

36 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Was discussing with someone today that being unseeded gives you a better chance of a game with one of the European participants, and maybe a better payday. Although I’d prefer a cup run....

Been discussing that too, why not have both :P . Just aslong as we don't get like Dunfermline at home and get put out.

5 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Been discussing that too, why not have both :P . Just aslong as we don't get like Dunfermline at home and get put out.

Same thought occurred to me as soon as I hit ‘send’!

Archived