Can you be neutral and would you want to be?

Fullerene

I’m going to the pub to watch the opener between Russia and Saudi Arabia. On paper, two shit teams, who will play out a shitty game of football which won’t be worth watching. Luckily, I have watched Scotland all my life, so watching a shit team playing shit football is no barrier to me enjoying myself.

I won’t be supporting either team. Totally neutral and just looking for that elusive great game of football. Possibly also seeing a new star of the game take their first tentative steps onto the world stage.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

I’m going to the pub to watch the opener between Russia and Saudi Arabia. On paper, two shit teams, who will play out a shitty game of football which won’t be worth watching. Luckily, I have watched Scotland all my life, so watching a shit team playing shit football is no barrier to me enjoying myself.

I won’t be supporting either team. Totally neutral and just looking for that elusive great game of football. Possibly also seeing a new star of the game take their first tentative steps onto the world stage.

Hopefully the Saudis take a strop resulting in someone wearing a tea towel coming onto the pitch and marching the players off in a huff ala Kuwait v France in 1982.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hopefully the Saudis take a strop resulting in someone wearing a tea towel coming onto the pitch and marching the players off in a huff ala Kuwait v France in 1982.

wid

Seems a bizarre choice for the opening match. Obviously Russia are the hosts but Egypt or Uruguay would make for more exciting opposition to get the thing off to a start.

Opening matches are always shite anyway. Even the legendary ones like Senegal and Cameroon causing upsets were still turgid matches. I'm sure ours against Brazil was probably pish to neutrals too.

Not sure if having the opening game feature the hosts rather than the holders helps. Germany v Mexico would certainly have more potential this time out. Might be fun seeing Qatar get ridden by whoever the weakest qualifier is next time out, though.

13 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Might be fun seeing Qatar get ridden by whoever the weakest qualifier is next time out, though.

Indeed, though I cynically suspect a lot of money will change hands to ensure that doesn't happen.

Opening matches are always shite anyway. Even the legendary ones like Senegal and Cameroon causing upsets were still turgid matches. I'm sure ours against Brazil was probably pish to neutrals too.

I'm sure you are wrong, wasn't our game against Brazil universally seen as the greatest game the tournament could possibly throw up, the game that the entire population of the planet craved after and potentially the greatest game that would ever be seen, anywhere, anytime, anyhow, with both teams providing the best bunch of supporters that it would be possible to cherry pick from anywhere in the world and isn't the game itself actually declared the "el clasico" of international football when these two eternal adversaries battle it out on the world stage, where teams of this calibre should be, its true canvas the TVs screens of every inhabitant on Earth and as for the game, after an even handed end to end evenly matched battle weren't the bold, cavalier, nippy wee celts only edged out in the end by the nefarious, underhand and blatant cheating of the silky samba superstars, who as the game was progressing, saw their grip on the trophy gradually slip and panicked as they were gradually giving way and folding to the continual onslaught of the far superior pressure of the much vaunted scots??? 

Or did I dream all that???[emoji848] 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 13:23, wellinwigan said:

Can see this world cup being as boring and as pish as the South African  one

at least there won't be those bloody  vuvezelas 

19 hours ago, akredz said:

at least there won't be those bloody  vuvezelas 

A friend of mine is on her way from Australia to Russia as I type. The other day she made a Fizzbook post listing the things which aren't allowed into the stadiums. I was very pleased to see vuvuzelas on there.

More often than not, I’ll start watching a match not really caring who wins, but as it goes on I will get into wanting one of the teams to win for whatever reason. However, anyone but England.

On 27/05/2018 at 14:52, itzdrk said:

Whit?

This. Why would folk not be neutral in games involving Germany and Argentina? Am I missing something?

Anyway, I'm neutral in most games. Occasionally I might like to see a team get pumped (maybe they have a player who is a fanny) and of course I want England to get pumped, but most of the time I don't have a side.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

This. Why would folk not be neutral in games involving Germany and Argentina? Am I missing something?

Anyway, I'm neutral in most games. Occasionally I might like to see a team get pumped (maybe they have a player who is a fanny) and of course I want England to get pumped, but most of the time I don't have a side.

I would imagine the reference is to Brits wanting Germany and/or Argentina to lose games because of previous conflicts. 

Personally I will always have a team to root for in any match, and the same will be true at the World Cup even if some match-ups, like asSpain - Poortugal, will be impossible because I hate both teams/countries equally.

If neither country elicits any strong emotions from me, I'll root for the nicest strip being the resident kit nerd 'round these parts. Costa Rica - Serbia, for example, is a case where I'll back the former based on shirt choice.

9 minutes ago, The OP said:

I would imagine the reference is to Brits wanting Germany and/or Argentina to lose games because of previous conflicts. 

I thought it was only the English who still harboured any real animosity against the Krauts and the Argies.

Archived