Russia v Saudi Arabia

Enigma

3 minutes ago, LastDitchTackle said:

Qatar World Cup opening game will be worse than this though.

Indeed. Whoever they end up against will be under very, very strict orders not to utterly humiliate them.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either that or they will be spending the next 4 years throwing money at any half-decent uncapped players they can find to get them to take a Qatari passport.

1 minute ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Qatar aren’t as bad as people think either. They had a poor qualifying this time around but they still had a win over South Korea and Syria. They have a lot of tournament experience from the Asian Cup and are entering the Copa America next year. They’re a poor side but they’d hold their own against most bottom seed sides and certainly wouldn’t get embarrassed.

My main point was focusing on the attractiveness of the first game of said competition - far from the glamour tie that we saw in France 98 when Scotland took on Brazil. May be biased though.

6 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

It’s probably been covered but when did it switch from holders to hosts for the opening game?

2006s. 2002 France (previous winners, tournament in Japan/S.Korea) opened against Senegal. 2006 Germany (hosts, Brazil previous winners) opened against Costa Rica 

2006s. 2002 France (previous winners) opened against Korea. 2006 Germany (hosts, Brazil previous winners) opened against Costa Rica 

Ah, cheers! [emoji106]

Putin might just cancel the World Cup if Russia get beat.

I don't care who wins, I just want goals. Russia are absolutely shite, but can do something in the tournament if they can build up some momentum since they're in their home country/can fix the tournament with considerable ease.

Therefore if pushed, I'll be backing Russia in this one. For now. That might change.

The opening for Sochi 2014 was absolute kino, probably one of the best in recent memory in regards to the Olympics. It was especially welcome after London 2012's 'DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS POP CULTURE REFERENCE? HAHAH THE QUEEN IS PARACHUTING DOWN THIS IS FUNNY HAHAH PLEASE CLAP'.

Expecting the current act they are putting on to be much better than what we'll see in a minute from the actual national team.

Akinfeev must be getting on a bit.

Nope. Wikipedia says he's 32. I'm sure Russia had a keeper who was so old he might as well have been on the ark with Noah.

Archived