Russia v Saudi Arabia

Enigma

Indeed.  I have 2 monitors in work so one will be gainfully employed with Egypt v Uruguay and Morroco v Iran (1st half) whilst the other monitor I'll use for P&B.
I need go to Auchterarder on Saturday for a couple of hours and may miss a bit of France/Wallabyshagger.

Don’t overwork yourself though. Take plenty breaks and keep hydrated. Last thing we need is early onset fatigue in this tournament.
I’ve done the square root of f**k all this morning. Can’t see past leaving about 4 to go to the pub. Summer tournaments eh!

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Don’t overwork yourself though. Take plenty breaks and keep hydrated. Last thing we need is early onset fatigue in this tournament.
I’ve done the square root of f**k all this morning. Can’t see past leaving about 4 to go to the pub. Summer tournaments eh!

Ive been winding down to the World Cup since January tbf.

7 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I find skybet very easy to use but the prices aren’t usually the best. Bet365 is pretty straight forward and usually better prices. I don’t think backing Russia is going to make you too much money today though. Could always walk in to a high Streep bookies and place your bet over the counter...real, authentic, traditional wagering. Probably best not to bother tbh though.

It will have to be online, considering I live in the Netherlands. Very different betting culture, we don't even have bookies here. I think Amsterdam may have three or four, but my village and the decently big city I lived in during uni had zero. The only real form of 'over the counter' football betting here is a slip with all Eredivisie matches and a few high profile foreign matches every week.

Hence me asking about online sites. A couple of Euros might make the most dreadful opening game in years a bit more exciting for me.

It will have to be online, considering I live in the Netherlands. Very different betting culture, we don't even have bookies here. I think Amsterdam may have three or four, but my village and the decently big city I lived in during uni had zero. The only real form of 'over the counter' football betting here is a slip with all Eredivisie matches and a few high profile foreign matches every week.
Hence me asking about online sites. A couple of Euros might make the most dreadful opening game in years a bit more exciting for me.

Ah, okay. I’d reckon they’d do World Cup games but sounds like online would be easier for you.
I’d suggest looking at skybets request-a-bets. I would recommend anyone against taking up gambling but can appreciate a small interest bet, just make sure it stays that way. Like I say the request a bets are prob worth a look, Russia to win and under 2.5 goals in the game (13/8) being my choice. I’m sure other sites do the same options but I’m not as familiar with them

3 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

No doubt this will be a turgid match, but Russia will win by virtue of being the hosts and Putin promising to novichok each and every FIFA official in the case of Russia getting embarassed in their opening game.

Salah be damned, Russia will go through to the second round whatever the cost; this is a country built on strong-arming others into (not so) covertly doing their bidding.

On that note, what's a good betting site for a wee Dutch punter like me to place a few bets? I've never engaged in gambling before but a bet on Russia winning seems like easy money.

I'd go for Bet365 as the best site for a newcomer and with decent odds. Not keen on SkyBet and they sometimes have lousy odds. Mcbookies often have the best odds but might not be as easy at Bet365 for a newbie. I'd play around on the sites before joining up to see what one suits. Gone for 1-1 at 15/2 with Mcbookies. Bet365 and Skybet have 7/1.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:09, lanky_ffc said:

Worth noting that these are the two lowest ranked teams in the tournament. Must be the first time that's happened in the opener.

Up until 2002 the holders opened, so it's vanishingly unlikely they were lowly ranked four years after winning it. Since then:

2018 - Russia (70) v Saudi Arabia (67)

2014 - Brazil (3) v Croatia (18)

2010 - South Africa (83) v Mexico (17)

2006 - Germany (19) v Costa Rica (26)

Just struck me that I'm sure I must have watched those previous openers, yet I have no memory of them at all. I'm ageing badly.

20 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:
On 6/12/2018 at 16:00, jagfox99 said:
Saudi Arabia were apparently the lowest ranked team heading into the finals up until last week when they snuck ahead of Russia emoji38.png

Have they changed now? Last time I looked Russia were 66th and Saudi Arabia were 67th. Along with Egypt who were 46th and Uruguay who were 17th, but the draw wasn't fixed, no sirree...

That's no reason to think it was fixed. The draw always has the host as a top seed. Uruguay are one of the scarier second-seeds, despite their low ranking, having a really classy team with strength in defence and up front. The only second seed I'd want to avoid more would be Spain. Egypt were 6th among the 8 teams in Pot 3, but they've got a world-class striker. Saudi Arabia were the lowest ranked of the qualifiers so Russia got lucky there.

There's a chance this game might not be shite. Russia have to win this one, it's the match they're most likely to win so they can't afford to be conservative, they're going to have to go for it. From what I saw from their match against Germany, Saudi Arabia have ability on the break so presumably they'll look to draw Russia in and hit them on the counter-attack. This is also their best chance of a win, though they're not under nearly as much pressure to get out of the group as Russia are. The longer the game goes on as a draw, the more Russia will have to risk it and be exposed. So it might be a worthwhile watch.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

There's a chance this game might not be shite. Russia have to win this one, it's the match they're most likely to win so they can't afford to be conservative, they're going to have to go for it. From what I saw from their match against Germany, Saudi Arabia have ability on the break so presumably they'll look to draw Russia in and hit them on the counter-attack. This is also their best chance of a win, though they're not under nearly as much pressure to get out of the group as Russia are. The longer the game goes on as a draw, the more Russia will have to risk it and be exposed. So it might be a worthwhile watch.

0-0 then.

Delighted it's finally starting. A genuine excuse to have football on the telly all evening instead of PJ Masks or Mickey Mouse or whatever other crap the kids usually put on.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

0-0 then.

Yeah, probably.

I thought I was too old and cynical now to get that World Cup buzz, but at some point yesterday I started to get the tingles, then watched the whole first half of Brazil V Germany from 2014, then watched a FIFA film about the 2010 final... by bedtime I was watching Don't Come Home Too Soon and nearly greetin'.

That enthusiasm will probably peak during the opening ceremony and be dead by 4.45pm.

39 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Up until 2002 the holders opened, so it's vanishingly unlikely they were lowly ranked four years after winning it. Since then:

2018 - Russia (70) v Saudi Arabia (67)

2014 - Brazil (3) v Croatia (18)

2010 - South Africa (83) v Mexico (17)

2006 - Germany (19) v Costa Rica (26)

Just struck me that I'm sure I must have watched those previous openers, yet I have no memory of them at all. I'm ageing badly.

Brazil/Croatia was quite a good game if I remember right.  A hilarious own goal and Marcelo looking like he might kill himself, some very lenient refereeing for the hosts, and a fairly entertaining game.  I vaguely remember that South Africa/Mexico was an absolute turd, followed by France and...Uruguay maybe...serving up something even worse.  No recollection whatsoever of Germany Costa Rica.

31 minutes ago, nsr said:

Delighted it's finally starting. A genuine excuse to have football on the telly all evening instead of PJ Masks or Mickey Mouse or whatever other crap the kids usually put on.

Games kicking off at 7pm is worrying me - need to get the wee one to put his schedule forward a little so that's on instead of In the Night Garden.

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

Brazil/Croatia was quite a good game if I remember right.  A hilarious own goal and Marcelo looking like he might kill himself, some very lenient refereeing for the hosts, and a fairly entertaining game.  I vaguely remember that South Africa/Mexico was an absolute turd, followed by France and...Uruguay maybe...serving up something even worse.  No recollection whatsoever of Germany Costa Rica.

Games kicking off at 7pm is worrying me - need to get the wee one to put his schedule forward a little so that's on instead of In the Night Garden.

I mind it was 4-2 Germany, remember enjoying it, couple of cracking strikes from Lahm and Frings thrown in.. 

Actually, that rings a bell.  Don't remember the game itself, but think I remember Lahm's goal.

So in the past few tournaments, the opening games have been great - shite - great.  So shite today then?

I am worried about todays game. Dinner time is normally at 4 and careful deployment of Little Baby Bum in the dining room will allow me to catch bits of the first half.

The second half is in the balance tho as the more tired the youngest is, the more I need Peppa Pig.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I am worried about todays game. Dinner time is normally at 4 and careful deployment of Little Baby Bum in the dining room will allow me to catch bits of the first half.

The second half is in the balance tho as the more tired the youngest is, the more I need Peppa Pig.

To be honest, these days he's so puggled after nursery and then doing all he can to batter f**k out of the house, he's knackered by that time.  Wonder if he'll even notice if Iggle Piggle and friends get replaced by Alan Dzagoev and  Osama Hawsawi (yes, I had to google to find that one).  

Suspect it'll be him on one side, phone on the other.  Lovely old job.

Archived