Russia v Saudi Arabia

Enigma

Not long to go now until this suspiciously convenient opener for the hosts.

Comfortable home win? Russia are pish and the Saudis worse? Could this be a bit ‘tasty’ given both countries involvement in Syria and so forth? How long and how dull will the opening ceremony be? Will we see Putin ‘kicking off’ the ceremony a la Dianna Ross in 1994?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the Saudi side take on Germany at the weekend and they weren't anywhere near as bad as I thought they'd be. They were absolutely rapid on the counter attack and with a bit of class would have scored more than the penalty they ended up getting.

I can see them getting something, if they handle the occasion. I fancy both sides to be out in the group stages.

More interested in getting a first look at the MMA gloved, roided up and state sponsored hooligans as they get limbered up for tobering thousands of sunburnt, vest wearing fatties.

That said, Russia to sneak an undeserved draw here thanks to a VAR clusterfuck and immediately stoke the flames of conspiracy.

1 hour ago, David W said:

I saw the Saudi side take on Germany at the weekend and they weren't anywhere near as bad as I thought they'd be. They were absolutely rapid on the counter attack and with a bit of class would have scored more than the penalty they ended up getting.

I can see them getting something, if they handle the occasion. I fancy both sides to be out in the group stages.

Watched that game too and thought the same. Still think they'll collect the wooden spoon in the group but they look far more organised than the 2002 and 2006 sides.

Haven't seen Saudi Arabia play recently but Russia have always looked pretty terrible. Sometimes these meh games can end up decent though, so I will optimistically predict a 2-1 win from behind for the hosts.

16 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Was so much better when the winners opened the tournament. Especially with jobber countries like South Africa , Russia and Qatar hosting it these days. This will be an absolute shanner.

Worth noting that these are the two lowest ranked teams in the tournament. Must be the first time that's happened in the opener.

More interested in getting a first look at the MMA gloved, roided up and state sponsored hooligans as they get limbered up for tobering thousands of sunburnt, vest wearing fatties.

That said, Russia to sneak an undeserved draw here thanks to a VAR clusterfuck and immediately stoke the flames of conspiracy.

Stoked for this as well especially with Putin having a squadron of Chechens pumped up to face Conor McGregor after they hospitalise Barry from Stoke.

Looks very much like the resistable force versus the moveable object.

Fancy a home win, simply because Saudi Arabia tend to be utter gubbins at the World Cup and Russia will likely go into it with everything behind them.

2-0 Russia.

Archived