Ancestry DNA

Torpar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Slenderman said:

Would you play for Scotland, if you could play for another country?

Theoretically.

Yes.

I've completed most of the items on my lifetime bucket list and of the remaining ones, a number most likely aren't going to happen. However, one I absolutely want to accomplish is lifting the World Cup as captain of Scotland. Qatar will take place just before my 59th birthday so that's probably my best shot.

Although I see Canada, Mexico and USA have been awarded the 2026 gig and as I'll be 63 by then, it might be convenient not to have to travel too far. 

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Yes.

I've completed most of the items on my lifetime bucket list and of the remaining ones, a number most likely aren't going to happen. However, one I absolutely want to accomplish is lifting the World Cup as captain of Scotland. Qatar will take place just before my 59th birthday so that's probably my best shot.

Although I see Canada, Mexico and USA have been awarded the 2026 gig and as I'll be 63 by then, it might be convenient not to have to travel too far. 

There's a lot to be said for home advantage. ;)

15 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Would you play for Scotland, if you could play for another country?

Theoretically.

well, if you take into account the groupies that would surround an international footballer then F*ck Scotland! 

5 hours ago, Slenderman said:

My DNA is a mess probably.

Dad is Scottish, Mum was German, Grandfathers were Welsh & German  & Grandmothers were Liverpudlian and Irish.

Could play for a good few countries.

Probably killed each other at least once.

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Scotland has been trading with the Baltic Countries and Poland for centuries although given the German background maybe some chap called Stanislav was playing Rodger der Lodger back in the old country with a fraulein hence the East European bit.

Aye, it's much more a continuum than most people immediately assume, even more so in mainland Europe. Virtually nobody's 100% anything if you go back far enough - my mother in law had got into tracing her family tree a while back...her family were from the north east and a lot of them went to sea generations back, with some of them meeting and marrying girls from abroad it transpired.

Came as a bit of a surprise to the missus who always assumed she was 100% Scottish but in actual fact has direct Spanish and Icelandic ancestry.

13 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

this is all very fascinating-how much does this cost and whos reputable?

Familytreedna.com

Not as corporate or polished as Ancestory etc, but you get far more detailed results.

I did the paternal DNA test tracing my fathers line. Took about a month to come back and gave all the usual bumf about DNA haplogroups and genetic make up. However it also provides a list of people who you are related too through paternal DNA . Needless to say I was not aware of any of them. These folk were spread throughout the planet from New Zealand to Costa Rica (wtf:o).

We all seem to share a paternal ancestor in 1500's Perthshire.

Absolutely fascinating and well worth the 80 squid or so.

3 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Got my daughter it at Christmas and she did it. Found out hers was all just Scotland and Ulster, 13% Iberian as well- that was as exotic as it got.

I believe Celtic Countries DNA are classified as one group, so I doubt a DNA test would differentiate between Scottish and Ulster.

Remember seeing a programme on DNA and how English somebody was a few years back.  Some of them (especially the more right wing/ little Englander types) got a shock when they found how mixed their bloodline was.  They went into denial.

Think the as in programme mentions how so many of us have a tiny bit of  Asian DNA relating to when the Mongols invaded Europe back in the day.

6 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Remember seeing a programme on DNA and how English somebody was a few years back.  Some of them (especially the more right wing/ little Englander types) got a shock when they found how mixed their bloodline was.  They went into denial.

Think the as in programme mentions how so many of us have a tiny bit of  Asian DNA relating to when the Mongols invaded Europe back in the day.

On reflection, more recent unexpected admixtures of German/Eastern European ancestry might be for much the same reasons - in the latter stages of and immediately post-WW2 elements of the Red Army weren't exactly renowned for their chivalrous treatment of civilian populations.

21 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

On reflection, more recent unexpected admixtures of German/Eastern European ancestry might be for much the same reasons - in the latter stages of and immediately post-WW2 elements of the Red Army weren't exactly renowned for their chivalrous treatment of civilian populations.

A far more likely source would be slavic peoples who "germanised" in Prussia. A significant portion of the Germans in their old states were simply Slavs or Balts who began speaking German. Also millions of "Germans" such as the Volga Germans were expelled from the countries they had stayed in into what is now the FRG in the 40s. Those groups would have had very significant mixing of with the local populations such as Slavs and Caucasians. 

Another major source of Asian genetics into premodern (aka before about 1800) Europeans was the Uralics who inhabited Scandanavia. Hey originally came from near Southern China many thousands of years ago and migrated to Scandanavia via Siberia. 

The sharper eyed may have spotted that many of the most ardent Nazis were themselves likely carrying large percentages of Slavic haplogroups in there genes. 

3 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

You can see how your DNA has evolved through time periods on it. And hers was Scotland and ulster from the last few hundred years. From the very outset I think it was just Scotland and the island of Ireland.

I am going to have to see a reference for this especially given the long history of population movement between these two regions. 

Cant attest to the accuracy of the site but this map gives an over view of the various haplogroup distribution in Y-DNA in the UK, that is small changes in the DNA down the paternal lineage. 

UK-maps.png

5 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

You can see how your DNA has evolved through time periods on it. And hers was Scotland and ulster from the last few hundred years. From the very outset I think it was just Scotland and the island of Ireland.

Strange, mine explicitly stated that , Scottish, Irish and Welsh were all categorised as Celtic.

Did it specify which of the 9 counties in Ulster?

Archived