Ancestry DNA

Torpar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wanted to know where my blood line came from, but I think it would lead me to some mad man! Son will not have to look far, when he takes an interest....

13 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Familytreedna.com

Not as corporate or polished as Ancestory etc, but you get far more detailed results.

I did the paternal DNA test tracing my fathers line. Took about a month to come back and gave all the usual bumf about DNA haplogroups and genetic make up. However it also provides a list of people who you are related too through paternal DNA . Needless to say I was not aware of any of them. These folk were spread throughout the planet from New Zealand to Costa Rica (wtf:o).

We all seem to share a paternal ancestor in 1500's Perthshire.

Absolutely fascinating and well worth the 80 squid or so.

Was your ancestor Stuart Cosgrove?

1 hour ago, Jdog said:

Strange, mine explicitly stated that , Scottish, Irish and Welsh were all categorised as Celtic.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if any reputable DNA research organisation said that specifically. Perhaps it was more along the lines that you had a percentage of R1b L21 halpogroup, that is now predominantly found in the British Isles and Brittany but originated with the early Indo European bell beaker culture in central Europe? Certainly its not the only "Celtic" marker as R1b-DF21 found in Iberia and France are thought to be from the same wave of immigration and associated with "Celtic" cultures. 

26 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Hmmmmm. I wonder if any reputable DNA research organisation said that specifically. Perhaps it was more along the lines that you had a percentage of R1b L21 halpogroup, that is now predominantly found in the British Isles and Brittany but originated with the early Indo European bell beaker culture in central Europe? Certainly its not the only "Celtic" marker as R1b-DF21 found in Iberia and France are thought to be from the same wave of immigration and associated with "Celtic" cultures. 

From (My heritage )..I thought it be great to have some exotic DNA...but mine came back 100 Celtic, it actually said that on the form.

Screenshot_20180614-133136.png

So I'd guess The Chlamydia Kid is talking shite when he says his is Scots/Ulster...maybe just tells that to his mates at the lodge, Rather than saying Celtic.

1 hour ago, Jdog said:

From (My heritage )..I thought it be great to have some exotic DNA...but mine came back 100 Celtic, it actually said that on the form.

Screenshot_20180614-133136.png

So I'd guess The Chlamydia Kid is talking shite when he says his is Scots/Ulster...maybe just tells that to his mates at the lodge, Rather than saying Celtic.

Seems like you were conned. There is no such thing as "Celtic" dna. There are at least two geographically separate halpogroups (L21 and DF27) that get bundled into that wave of migration but even then its an open question as to which language they spoke.  Though I guess there are some low IQ types who might think so. 

And the idea that nearly every one of your patriarchal ancestors was part of the 2100BCE wave of Indo Europeans into the islands and none came from the either pre Indo European groups or later arrivals (see my post on previous page) is nonsense. 

And unless I am wrong these focus on Y DNA not mtDNA. 

Edited having checked these tests do seem to be Y DNA haplogroups, that is DNA that is passed from father to child, so its a direct line back to a single individual and does not show where your mothers father came from etc. 

12 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Remember seeing a programme on DNA and how English somebody was a few years back.  Some of them (especially the more right wing/ little Englander types) got a shock when they found how mixed their bloodline was.  They went into denial.

Think the as in programme mentions how so many of us have a tiny bit of  Asian DNA relating to when the Mongols invaded Europe back in the day.

There's a documentary on Netflix called Welcome to Leith (Leith, North Dakota) about white supremacist Craig Cobb. He appeared on Trish in the US and took a DNA that showed he was 14% sub-Saharan African ancestry. Lolz all round

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Seems like you were conned. There is no such thing as "Celtic" dna. There are at least two geographically separate halpogroups (L21 and DF27) that get bundled into that wave of migration but even then its an open question as to which language they spoke.  Though I guess there are some low IQ types who might think so. 

And the idea that nearly every one of your patriarchal ancestors was part of the 2100BCE wave of Indo Europeans into the islands and none came from the either pre Indo European groups or later arrivals (see my post on previous page) is nonsense. 

And unless I am wrong these focus on Y DNA not mtDNA. 

Edited having checked these tests do seem to be Y DNA haplogroups, that is DNA that is passed from father to child, so its a direct line back to a single individual and does not show where your mothers father came from etc. 

Thank you Professor, I'll pass that on to the liers at MyHeritage.

I am going to have to see a reference for this especially given the long history of population movement between these two regions. 

The wean is over this weekend I will get screen shots off her phone. It narrows down through the 18th century if I remember correctly to just Scotland and ulster.
Have a screen shot from the initial stage and there was Scandinavian in there as well that I forgot about. But can’t post it as her name is at the top.

On 13/06/2018 at 17:43, PWL said:

I did my family tree a few years ago on Ancestry so they sent me a discount code for a DNA kit. Was still £50 and the results were.....well dissapointing. I'd hoped for something more exotic. 

Screenshot_20180613-173754_1.thumb.jpg.bfc20ee97b52a09a7968beef260fce97.jpg

My grandfather was from Nottingham and I'd traced some ancestors back to Antrim myself so nothing earth shattering. 

That looks like Mr Greedy trying to eat a big egg.

Do you come from a long line of fattys?

9 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

The wean is over this weekend I will get screen shots off her phone. It narrows down through the 18th century 

I very strongly doubt that level of certainty for such a short time frame will be produced using their methodology in a statistically significant fashion on a high impact  factor journal. 

Aka I think they are over selling it.

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That looks like Mr Greedy trying to eat a big egg.

Do you come from a long line of fattys?

Harsh. Yet fair. 

I got one done a few months ago.

I have a Polish grandfather, but the report suggested it was another generation until I had a "100% eastern European" ancestor.  I asked my dad about it but he wasn't aware of one of his grandparents being part German. That being said the "French and German" area on 23 and me does cover a few central European countries.  This is their definition:  "French and German" people descend from ancient Alpine-Celtic and Germanic populations, and inhabit an area extending from the Netherlands to Austria — roughly corresponding to the extent of Charlemagne's Frankish Kingdom in the Middle Ages. Estimates place Charlemagne himself in the family trees of all modern Europeans, possibly many times over. Genetically and geographically, the French and Germans are at the heart of Europe.

23andme.jpg

2 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

I got one done a few months ago.

I have a Polish grandfather, but the report suggested it was another generation until I had a "100% eastern European" ancestor.  I asked my dad about it but he wasn't aware of one of his grandparents being part German. That being said the "French and German" area on 23 and me does cover a few central European countries.  This is their definition:  "French and German" people descend from ancient Alpine-Celtic and Germanic populations, and inhabit an area extending from the Netherlands to Austria — roughly corresponding to the extent of Charlemagne's Frankish Kingdom in the Middle Ages. Estimates place Charlemagne himself in the family trees of all modern Europeans, possibly many times over. Genetically and geographically, the French and Germans are at the heart of Europe.

23andme.jpg

Looks like one of your ancestors had his evil way with Pocahontas. 

Archived