What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

On 26/12/2023 at 16:15, carpetmonster said:

Merry Xmas from me and my enormous fucking Hulk hands. Look at them. They’re the size of basketballs. I can throttle five puppies in each without blinking. Sunak’s hands are tiny. I am the man with the hands. Hands. 

IMG_3610.thumb.jpeg.15ecd677becd74cafd84c74777adec46.jpeg

Reminds me of this one

agAWXKv_460s.jpg

Mentioning Blair it now at the point in history where date on him is starting to come out.

Yesterday was moving Wimbledon FC to Belfast to be renamed Belfast United and play in the EPL to assist bringing peace and harmony to Northern Ireland,

And today to deal with immigration 20 years was a 'radical' idea of a detention centre on Mull, and coming out the ECHR.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67827016

A detention camp on the Isle of Mull and breaking international law were among measures on migration presented to Tony Blair while prime minister, according to newly released files.

Papers from 2003, released by the National Archives, show Mr Blair was increasingly frustrated by the failure to deter people from coming to the UK.

He had called for more "radical" ideas.

Other suggestions presented to him included safe havens overseas for those whose asylum claims were rejected.

In a paper entitled "Asylum: the nuclear option", advisers even questioned whether the UK needed an asylum system at all, because refugees would already have passed through a safe country before reaching Britain's shores.

And they different from the tories how????

37 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Mentioning Blair it now at the point in history where date on him is starting to come out.

Yesterday was moving Wimbledon FC to Belfast to be renamed Belfast United and play in the EPL to assist bringing peace and harmony to Northern Ireland,

And today to deal with immigration 20 years was a 'radical' idea of a detention centre on Mull, and coming out the ECHR.

A detention camp on the Isle of Mull and breaking international law were among measures on migration presented to Tony Blair while prime minister, according to newly released files.

Papers from 2003, released by the National Archives, show Mr Blair was increasingly frustrated by the failure to deter people from coming to the UK.

Other suggestions presented to him included safe havens overseas for those whose asylum claims were rejected.

In a paper entitled "Asylum: the nuclear option", advisers even questioned whether the UK needed an asylum system at all, because refugees would already have passed through a safe country before reaching Britain's shores.

Well, they didn't implement these ideas. That makes them different for a start.

The Blair government considered sending asylum seekers to Tanzania. David Blunkett opened talks with Tanzania at the time and Starmer's shadow cabinet are currently working with Blunkett on how they can create a similar proposal now:

https://archive.ph/fjeKq

They want to process asylum seeker claims offshore, allowing for the later entry to UK of successful applicants. That differs to the Tories' Rwanda policy which automatically bars any asylum seekers sent to Rwanda from gaining UK entry. Labour are following polling on this, Blunkett explains.

Personally, I'm unimpressed by a party who just follows the whims of a public conditioned by over a decade of Tory rule and the Murdoch media. Setting your own agenda, striking out in your own direction and taking the public with you on these issues would be better.

There's also that private companies will be involved in what Labour propose, for example in running the processing centres. That'll be a large amount of public money being funnelled into private hands. A cash grab.

14 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

The Blair government considered sending asylum seekers to Tanzania. David Blunkett opened talks with Tanzania at the time and Starmer's shadow cabinet are currently working with Blunkett on how they can create a similar proposal now:

They want to process asylum seeker claims offshore, allowing for the later entry to UK of successful applicants. That differs to the Tories' Rwanda policy which automatically bars any asylum seekers sent to Rwanda from gaining UK entry. Labour are following polling on this, Blunkett explains.

Personally, I'm unimpressed by a party who just follows the whims of a public conditioned by over a decade of Tory rule and the Murdoch media. Setting your own agenda, striking out in your own direction and taking the public with you on these issues would be better.

There's also that private companies will be involved in what Labour propose, for example in running the processing centres. That'll be a large amount of public money being funnelled into private hands. A cash grab.

I'm not against processing applicants in a third country if it makes it easier for people to apply - someone fleeing the DRC for example can obviously get to Tanzania much more easily than the UK, if they can apply from there then come to the UK if accepted, that could be a good thing. 

The bit in bold is the crux of it for me. Policy by focus group. Whilst the current Conservatives have made gimmicks their go to for policies, too many parties are guilty of creating policies just for a headline to try and appease certain groups in society. Martin Lewis made a great point about immigration policy the other day, arguing that when polled a majority of people will answer that they want lower immigration, but when asked more specifically about care workers/NHS workers etc, a majority will say they're ok with that. I'd like to see Labour reframe the debate but I won't hold my breath.

17 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Aye but Michael Matheson £11000. Obviously worse than the right wing labour and tory party because just because. 

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

Let joy be unconfined. Sir Keith has launched project hope. No policies, mind.

Well, they came to power in 1997 having copied the American Democrats' approach wholesale, so it makes sense to copy their 2008 strategy now; no promises, but you're free to hope all you want.

The Conservatives should try this too - "it's technically possible that we might develop empathy and morals at some point, so why not give us another go?"

On 29/12/2023 at 09:57, Freedom Farter said:

Tanzania is much bigger than Rwanda so we can fit more illegals there. Good idea imo.

2 hours ago, Dan Steele said:

Let joy be unconfined. Sir Keith has launched project hope. No policies, mind.

As I understand it, Starmer is saying that his top priority is growth.  Presumably that means making life easier for companies or making life harder for workers, or some combination of the two. Making life easier for companies will mean tax breaks (denied) or using taxpayers' loot to "help" them, or reducing employees' rights.  Starmer not looking significantly different to the Tories there.

He has also talked about there being no tax cuts until after growth.  Well, ok, as long as the tax take greatly increases even after the tax cuts but if it doesn't, I'll stick to my view of no tax cuts until after public services are in a much better state than they are now.  If Labour get into power at a time when (we are told) that the tax take is at its highest since WW2 and they STILL can't sort out public services with that tax level, they'll be tanked in the succeeding general election and Scotland will be exactly where it is now.  I don't think we can take that chance.

37 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Trying not to think of the deep intellectual and spiritual sickness of the person and society which would make this

At least some of the wojaks are well done. Tony Blair's is practically photorealistic.