What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Guest Jedi

Labour have been squeezed out yet again between the single policy Tories and the SNP Indy Ref 2. The tactics of talking up a Covid Recovery plan are all fine and well, when you have no chance of enacting it, but they could surely have set out proposals on an alternative to Independence....Council of the Nations, essentially FFA for Scotland, retain defence and foreign policy in London etc. There was the chance to paint the Tories as No Indy Ref and status quo against Indy Ref if that commands a majority, but here is a 3rd option.

Until they are much clearer on where they stand (I realise that they have said No to Indy Ref 2 but its more of a whisper), then they will continue to be irrelevant.

Sarwar is clearly an upgrade on Leonard, although obviously a plank of wood could have achieved that, but its yet another constitutional election.

Are they trying to wait it out until the next GE now to unveil any kind of coherent Devo offer?, by which time that ship may have sailed.

This is embarrassing to watch.

The funny thing is that there is always going to be external pressure to stop the party going left again so no matter how out their depth the Centrists prove themselves to be in contemporary UK politics they won't be allowed to give up and go home. 

28 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This is embarrassing to watch.

The funny thing is that there is always going to be external pressure to stop the party going left again so no matter how out their depth the Centrists prove themselves to be in contemporary UK politics they won't be allowed to give up and go home. 

Jesus H!  😳 Even the most poorly prepared candidate for any job interview at the very least ought to be ready to have an answer to "tell me, why do you want this job?" 🤣

15 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Jesus H!  😳 Even the most poorly prepared candidate for any job interview at the very least ought to be ready to have an answer to "tell me, why do you want this job?" 🤣

I would guess he does have an answer but can't say "I need to get back into Westminster so the corporate stooge cash starts rolling in again. I've already got offers from Saudi Arabia, Nestle and British American Tobacco" on video. 

Edited by Detournement

it's still so class that the slogan is "the best country to grow up in and the best country to grow old in." Absolutely get fucked when you're in between though.

I can't wait for this party to get slaughtered all the way through to 2024 and beyond.

7 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Yeah hard to tell who Tom's party is these days. 

Noticed on the news the clunking fist was also unleashed from cold storage....

12575343.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=resp

Gordon Brown's fist "clunking" is not an image I'm not keen on, tbh....he must be sitting too near the table

10 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj89L6vxLPwAhVIgFwKHQIUDmoQ3ywwAHoECAIQAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXWsvzko1fkY&usg=AOvVaw3zX4006xm9j3mPWxmYdLqB

But no-one will listen now!!!!!!!

33 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Shite Chancellor, worse PM, proven liar and not nice person.  No redeeming qualities whatsoever as a human being.

With DRoss and Rennie leading the other two parties I’ve no idea how Labour aren’t hoovering up the Unionist vote, I’m no fan of Sarwar but he comes across as light years ahead of those two. If Labour fail to come second over DRoss’s Tories with Bumbling Boris down south and a party filling their pockets they might as well just throw in the towel as they’re dead in Scotland.

Khan is actually briefing that he's worried he might lose the London Mayoral election due to poor turnout.

I think there's almost no chance of that, but I'd die laughing if it happened. Then I'd have to simply say, with a straight face, that the voters "got it right"

12 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

With DRoss and Rennie leading the other two parties I’ve no idea how Labour aren’t hoovering up the Unionist vote, I’m no fan of Sarwar but he comes across as light years ahead of those two. If Labour fail to come second over DRoss’s Tories with Bumbling Boris down south and a party filling their pockets they might as well just throw on the towel as they’re dead in Scotland.

At the risk of oversimplification, who are Labour going to take votes from?

LibDem voters are strange folk, they know their party has zero chance of having any influence but still keep voting for them.

Tories are Tories, they generally support the position of Johnson now that the Conservatives have shed any pretence of one-nationism.  They will never exceed more than about 20% of the Scottish electorate, but equally won’t fall much below that.

I cannot see how the Labour Party can inspire first time voters.

That leaves ‘traditional’ Labour voters, most of whom have long abandoned Labour and more yet who are realising that the only way to avoid Tory after Tory rule is to support Independence.

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

With DRoss and Rennie leading the other two parties I’ve no idea how Labour aren’t hoovering up the Unionist vote, I’m no fan of Sarwar but he comes across as light years ahead of those two. If Labour fail to come second over DRoss’s Tories with Bumbling Boris down south and a party filling their pockets they might as well just throw in the towel as they’re dead in Scotland.

If you think about, it makes sense that Labour have little appeal (whoever acts as their Scottish face) to UK nats (and it’s not even necessarily to do with levels of staunchness or perceived softness on muh union).

If you are pro-UK, would you want Scotland managed by a junior branch manager of a party which has absolutely no power - and likely no chance of power in the next twenty years - in Westminster, or would you rather a junior branch manager who might at least be in with a chance of licking the boots of those in power down south? Simply put, voting Labour in Scotland is a pointless exercise - you’d be voting for a minor accounting unit of a party who are on a hiding to nothing where you think power should lie. UK nats can see the Tory future of the UK, and so they’d probably rather have a creature of that direction in charge than a creature of a party voicelessly and pointlessly resisting it.

Of course, if you’re a good guy, you’ll not want either a powerless puppet or a puppet who grovels to the scumbags in power south of the border. You’ll want folk elected in Scotland whose goal is to get the nation right the f**k out of its hunched-over, cheeks-spread position in the UK family of nations.

I’ve just clocked the Perthshire south Labour candidate has little online presence.

I’ve also just clocked the Perthshire north candidate has been telling everyone it’s a Tory council in Perth that’s ruined the town centre.

I think he’s forgotten that a Labour Councillor is also part of the coalition on the council.

Why should I care for a party that can’t be arsed with its local community?