What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

1 minute ago, KirkieRR said:

I notice Sir Peter Butterworth 'ruled out' rejoining the EU in a recent interview.

All the Labourites I know take the same tone, as if directed to; Brexit done, EU membership history, rejoining not on the table (which of course is if ttrue you want it to be).

I don't think Labour were ever really that bothered about Brexit, and still aren't, even as the damage mounts up.

One of the great ironies of British politics is that the least nationalist main party is the Scottish National Party.

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I notice Sir Peter Butterworth 'ruled out' rejoining the EU in a recent interview.

All the Labourites I know take the same tone, as if directed to; Brexit done, EU membership history, rejoining not on the table (which of course is if ttrue you want it to be).

I don't think Labour were ever really that bothered about Brexit, and still aren't, even as the damage mounts up.

It's not their mess though so gives them a free hit. The Tories own three word slogans mean they own it even if it wasn't only Tories that voted for it.

I think Labour have been clever in not mentioning it.

They don't have to rock the Brexit boat right now so when it's Brexit causing higher prices, queues etc. Labour can blame Brexit and claim they will try and sort it.

If it goes well they can claim they made Brexit work, we know that's unlikely but it also means they can try and cherry pick parts to undo without alienating all Brexiteers.

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

J-Corbz wasn't arsed about it certainly, the useless shithouse

And the SNP, for all their pro-europe talk, loved the way Brexit was going as it appeared to provide another reason why people should be wanting independence. 

Now though we're out and STARMER knows that rejoining the EU would be set up by the EU to be such a humiliating arse smacking experience (pour encourager les autres) it would verge on political BDSM and that no party who did it would survive

I can only assume from the last couple of weeks that Labour are genuinely scared that they might actually still find a way to lose the election.

Because between stuff like this and allowing the Tories to hound them into ruling out every tax change on a one-by-one basis, it feels like they are basically allowing themselves to be boxed into a spending straitjacket: they will either have to break their tax promises, or they are going to leave a lot of voters underwhelmed at how limited the 'change' is going to be with a likely massive majority. 

Seems like bad politics being motivated primarily by an unwarranted sense of anxiety, but just storing up problems - both internally and externally - for the next decade. 

Edited by DrewDon

"I don't trust anyone who can't comprehend the emergency". Their emergency is closing off all possible opposition to Starmer's left, both internal and external to the Labour party. Here's the typical output of the website she's defending:

The CEO of "Best for Britain" retweeted the Mbappe interview where he advises his brethren in the banlieues to vote against Le Pen. She no doubt thought Mbappe meant to vote Macron. Its more likely Mbappe had in mind the NFP (left coalition), who're polling ahead of Macron and are better suited to banlieue concerns.

Another NGO, HopeNotHate ltd (these are all companies cosplaying as charities) are leafleting against George Galloway in his constituency. Fair enough...if they also leafleted against Luke Akehurst in his constituency, which they're not. Galloway is challenging Labour whereas Akehurst is Labour. Its about power not principles.

Edited by Freedom Farter

Even the Lib Dems, the most pro-European party who bet the house on overturning Brexit at the last election, aren't calling for either a 2nd vote or a 'return' in this Parliamentary term.

Labour meanwhile are aiming to renogiate better terns and relationships with the EU next year.

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

“It’s absolutely shocking that the Tories whilst in government did X however we are committed to do nothing to overturn X when we’re back in charge.

But so there’s no misunderstanding we know that X is despicable and we continue to blame the Tories for it as should you.”

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

“It’s absolutely shocking that the Tories whilst in government did X however we are committed to do nothing to overturn X when we’re back in charge.

But so there’s no misunderstanding we know that X is despicable and we continue to blame the Tories for it as should you.”

It's like 1997 all over again...

London Labour...Happy to put a cap on child benefits but not the worst profiteering  excesses of bankers ....just another reason why anyone considering voting for these Charlatans in Scotland needs their head examined .

2 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

London Labour...Happy to put a cap on child benefits but not the worst profiteering  excesses of bankers ....just another reason why anyone considering voting for these fvkken Charlatans in Scotland needs their head examined .

Fixed it for you.

2 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

Fixed it for you.

Not really.  The problem for voters in England is that there is no credible alternative.  If I lived in a marginal seat in England I’d almost definitely vote Labour because it’s the least worst option.

Voters in Scotland and Wales have a credible alternative.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Not really.  The problem for voters in England is that there is no credible alternative.  If I lived in a marginal seat in England I’d almost definitely vote Labour because it’s the least worst option.

Voters in Scotland and Wales have a credible alternative.

"ALternative" is doing a lot of lifting in that statement.  👀 

2 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

"ALternative" is doing a lot of lifting in that statement.  👀 

Maybe for Plaid, don’t know enough about them to argue otherwise.

I reckon on a number of issues the SNP is to the left of Labour and has a track record in government.  It’s not a perfect one by any means but I’d match their failures to Labour ones over the years and defend policies that I think Labour would abandon given the chance.

42 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Listen to this guy Starmer!

Barefaced liar.

I am genuinely stunned anyone in Scotland is even considering voting for this pound shop Tory. 

1 minute ago, Jute said:

I am genuinely stunned anyone in Scotland is even considering voting for this pound shop Tory. 

My MP is his wee poodle Ian Murray. Sadly, the Tories in the area vote labour to ensure no SNP MP gets in, despite my best efforts.

Murray is the kunts kunt.

On 17/06/2024 at 16:35, Jedi2 said:

Even the Lib Dems, the most pro-European party who bet the house on overturning Brexit at the last election, aren't calling for either a 2nd vote or a 'return' in this Parliamentary term.

Labour meanwhile are aiming to renogiate better terns and relationships with the EU next year.

Aye, good luck with that.

You don't sound too fussed about Brexit either. But then you're a loyal unthinking Labourite.