Do you love Jesus?

Do you love Jesus?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Weird how he's always depicted as a white guy with blond hair and blue eyes, although that's probably a more contemporary, racist thing. In the mentions of him were there ever any descriptions of how he looked?

What if he forged a name to get on to the Roman census in order to try and buy Roman citizenship? That's happened before.

He was supposedly jewish, so why were his followers not jewish? If they were following his lead surely he was just behaving as per the jewish religion anyway?

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Weird how he's always depicted as a white guy with blond hair and blue eyes, although that's probably a more contemporary, racist thing. In the mentions of him were there ever any descriptions of how he looked?

What if he forged a name to get on to the Roman census in order to try and buy Roman citizenship? That's happened before.

He was supposedly jewish, so why were his followers not jewish? If they were following his lead surely he was just behaving as per the jewish religion anyway?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jesus portrayed with blonde hair and blue eyes. Almost universally dark, long hair.

32 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Of course he's real. Here he is in a nan bread...It's either him or Alice Cooper, but why would Alice Cooper be in a nan bread?enhanced-buzz-27601-1363980886-8.jpg?dow

Now you've done it.  I'm just trying to run a restaurant.  People come in, order a curry, maybe have a few beers and then piss off.

Now the place is swarming with weird looking pilgrims who don't order anything but only want to look at all the nan breads and say "what does it all mean?"

Thanks a lot.

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Most Christian societies have depicted Jesus looking like one of them. Latin countries like a suffering Jesus, we prefer the beatific. Pic attached is the classic for us.

They were. They believed Jesus was fulfilling Jewish prophesy and scripture. But mainstream Judaism obviously rejected Jesus, so they branched off. 

A-Khx3TCAAIQdf6.jpg

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The very early christians were jewish. It was only a little bit later that Paul and/or whoever else was in charge relaxed the 'jewishness' of early Christianity, and made it more appealing to non-Jews. Paul is a more important figure than Jesus, IMO, since it was whatever Jewish sect he latched onto that would have made it big. He's the Malcolm Mclaren to Jesus' Sex Pistols...

Edited by Aim Here

29 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jesus portrayed with blonde hair and blue eyes. Almost universally dark, long hair.

See the picture Gordon S has posted.

Three of the first 4 Google image results when searching 'Jesus' show the lad with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Screenshot_20210603-134541_Opera.thumb.jpg.b1c8643c78066c30e1039f7301032952.jpg

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

See the picture Gordon S has posted.

Three of the first 4 Google image results when searching 'Jesus' show the lad with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Screenshot_20210603-134541_Opera.thumb.jpg.b1c8643c78066c30e1039f7301032952.jpg

At least the excuse there is that there's a millenium or two separating artwork and subject. The only time Hitler sat for a portrait, the artist took a curious approach to hair and eye colour choices too - despite Adolf being stood right there in front of him.

large_000000.thumb.jpg.d9b31d6286ab427f5ed4e0e5c0001dd9.jpg

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Now you've done it.  I'm just trying to run a restaurant.  People come in, order a curry, maybe have a few beers and then piss off.

Now the place is swarming with weird looking pilgrims who don't order anything but only want to look at all the nan breads and say "what does it all mean?"

Thanks a lot.

english-granny-bread-thread-for-that-sort-of-pish...

Edited by Jacksgranda

11 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I believe that he did exist around 2000 years ago but thats it.  He would effectively been an early magician and impressed his audience with the old turning water into wine trick....feeding 5000?  It was probably about 50 but over the years exaggerated dramatically.  The impressionable will have worshipped him as their new messiah and he will have been hated by the enemies of these people and best that he was taken down.  Resurrection..bolllocks.  Thats about it.

I am mid-fifties and still cant get my head around religion....I dont pretend to understand it nor do I wish to understand it.   For example...what exactly is the difference between a Catholic and a Protestant?  How many of those claiming to be one or another actually know the difference? For far too long religion in this country has been used to control the masses....I would imagine that the majority of old folks who still attend church see it as a social thing rather than anything else.

Did he exist or not?  I have no idea.  When people did not understand tides or seasons you don't need to be a magician to be one step ahead. You can walk on water if the tide has receeded and the water is no longer there.  Similarly splitting the sea. Stupid Egyptians taking too long and the tide returns.  Idiots.

There was a time when you could attack the next village and because nobody lived that long and travel was slow then nothing was likely to happen to you.  Authorities had to claim they could get you even after you were dead.  Hence all this.

Which authority and how?  My guy.  No mine.  Now the world is divided by people who want to argue about the most important letter of the alphabet or something similar. 

I couldn't give a shit.

Tides and seasons were long understood at the time this Jesus lad was seemingly doing his stuff.

The Romans used to change their calendar to fit with the seasons. Even more ancient cultures built sundials.

Loads of cultures predating the Romans were very adept on the sea and understood tides.

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Weird how he's always depicted as a white guy with blond hair and blue eyes, although that's probably a more contemporary, racist thing.

The first image on your list is a 6th century Egyptian depiction of him. If you were a Mediterranean noble who lived indoors all day you would tend to have a light skin tone than field workers. That is not racism, though in modern terms its classism. Its why old painting show fat pale women as idealised images of women, they are in doors and well fed. 

This is Mark the Evangelist from 6th century Aksum Christianity. (Ethiopia.. ) Are they racist?

Illumination-from-Abba-Garima-gospel.jpg

Art depictions of The Christ changed over time and cultures. Its what happens. People depict their gods as similar to them. 

Religion played a hugely important role in our societies for millennia. But in my opinion the time for them is over and we need to embrace rationality, science and the coldness of a universe that does not give a shit. No one is come to rescue us from global warming or our shitty politics. Its us alone in a fucking huge and empty universe. 

Us. 

Alone. 

The arguments against it are not cultural depictions not meeting modern trends. Especially trends that are not aware of the way a Mediterranean culture of Late Antiquity may have seen its leaders then trying to mix that with early second millenia west European art and drawing f**k knows what conclusion. 

Its us, all alone in a universe that gives no fucks about us and if we are to improve the world we need to work to make it better for others knowing that when we go we will reap no benefit but those who came before us reaped no benefit for making our lives better. For the tiny blip on the billions of years of existence we will make, we should work to make those who come after us existence a wee bit better. 

Our countries, cultures, politics, art and pish will  be forgotten. 

Just dont be a c**t and try to make it a bit better for others. 

Edited by dorlomin

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Most Christian societies have depicted Jesus looking like one of them. Latin countries like a suffering Jesus, we prefer the beatific. Pic attached is the classic for us.

They were. They believed Jesus was fulfilling Jewish prophesy and scripture. But mainstream Judaism obviously rejected Jesus, so they branched off. 

A-Khx3TCAAIQdf6.jpg

Jesus was the L Ron Hubbard of his day.