Do you love Jesus?

Do you love Jesus?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He doesn't exist IMO.

I believe that he did exist around 2000 years ago but thats it.  He would effectively been an early magician and impressed his audience with the old turning water into wine trick....feeding 5000?  It was probably about 50 but over the years exaggerated dramatically.  The impressionable will have worshipped him as their new messiah and he will have been hated by the enemies of these people and best that he was taken down.  Resurrection..bolllocks.  Thats about it.

I am mid-fifties and still cant get my head around religion....I dont pretend to understand it nor do I wish to understand it.   For example...what exactly is the difference between a Catholic and a Protestant?  How many of those claiming to be one or another actually know the difference? For far too long religion in this country has been used to control the masses....I would imagine that the majority of old folks who still attend church see it as a social thing rather than anything else.

c**t was supposedly a carpenter but what did he actually ever build? 

He could have formed a old school A-Team , the J-Team, with his supposed carpentry prowess. Get some of the 13 lads and form a crew. Paint a chariot in the black and red colours of the A-Team van. 

The story fits too. He was tried for a crime he didn't commit and was locked in a tight spot only to somehow emerge later. The latter is classic A-Team and happened in almost every episode.

He and his pals could have lived as soldiers of fortune and if you could find them, call the J-Team!

45 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He doesn't exist IMO.

He definitely existed, that's beyond debate at this point as some historians have dedicated their life's work to confirming the existence of the man.

Was he the son of God though? Well, anyone who thinks he was, is clearly soft in the brain.

As Caledonian says before me, he was a skilled early illusionist and cult of personality who likely created an interesting back story for himself to further dupe those taken in by his sleight of hand. He then got his followers to preach it onwards to the gullible and stupid, much like all of the Abrahamic prophets, really.

Edited by djchapsticks

38 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I believe that he did exist around 2000 years ago but thats it.  He would effectively been an early magician and impressed his audience with the old turning water into wine trick....feeding 5000?  It was probably about 50 but over the years exaggerated dramatically.  The impressionable will have worshipped him as their new messiah and he will have been hated by the enemies of these people and best that he was taken down.  Resurrection..bolllocks.  Thats about it.

I am mid-fifties and still cant get my head around religion....I dont pretend to understand it nor do I wish to understand it.   For example...what exactly is the difference between a Catholic and a Protestant?  How many of those claiming to be one or another actually know the difference? For far too long religion in this country has been used to control the masses....I would imagine that the majority of old folks who still attend church see it as a social thing rather than anything else.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He definitely existed, that's beyond debate at this point as some historians have dedicated their life's work to confirming the existence of the man.

Was he the son of God though? Well, anyone who thinks he was, is clearly soft in the brain.

As Caledonian says before me, he was a skilled early illusionist and cult of personality who likely created an interesting back story for himself to further dupe those taken in by his sleight of hand. He then got his followers to preach it onwards to the gullible and stupid, much like all of the Abrahamic prophets, really.

He existed and was the first documented schizophrenic IMO. Loads of people these days call themselves the son of God and are given treatment for their mental illness. Back in the day he must have seemed believable to the more gullible members of society during his manic episodes. Due to the lack of psychiatric treatment centres at the time the Romans just fired him in a cave. 

TBF though even if he was a con-artist etc at least his con wasn't to better himself necessarily and he spread a decent message. 

Ditch all that evil shit in the OT and be fucking sound to each other lads is a fair fucks message imo

There’s no historical consensus that he existed. There’s no contemporary mention of him which given what he’s supposed to have done is remarkable. The first mention of Jesus is in the letters of Paul around 30 years after he is supposed to have died, and Paul (who was real) never met Jesus.
There’s other contemporary writings around that time in that area about other people, but Jesus isn’t one of them.
Good discussion on this on the skeptics guide to the universe podcast episode 616 starting around 25 minutes in.

Aye there's absolutely loads of doubt and debate around him existing.

Christianity was/is just an amalgamation of much of the other religions that were kicking about, with the objective being a power grab. Christianity has stolen loads of bits from other religions, especially around the shite about this Jesus lad (Osiris).

The healing nonsense is remarkably similar to the deeds of the Greek god Asclepius.

25th December was a holiday for Sol Invictus.

Flood legends has been around for centuries before the pish about Noah.

And so on. There are absolutely loads of examples that show that the bible (a dreadful piece of shit) was massively plagiarised, including most of the crap about Jesus.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

He existed and was the first documented schizophrenic IMO. Loads of people these days call themselves the son of God and are given treatment for their mental illness. Back in the day he must have seemed believable to the more gullible members of society during his manic episodes. Due to the lack of psychiatric treatment centres at the time the Romans just fired him in a cave. 

The lack of psychiatric treatment centres by the Romans was justification for the actions of the Judean People’s Front People’s Front of Judea imo.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

There’s no historical consensus that he existed. There’s no contemporary mention of him which given what he’s supposed to have done is remarkable

On the contrary, the consensus IS that he existed, with most historians accepting that someone called Jesus existed founded Christianity at that time.

It would be extraordinary for any given person in antiquity to have appeared in ANY kind of documentation at all - the bulk of the population of the world, save perhaps for the Roman emperors and a handful of important folk never had their name in print in any kind of format, and the large quantities of documentation that appear very shortly after Jesus' death (including a small handful from non-Christian sources) is way above the norm for anyone. For comparison, Pontius Pilate doesn't appear in contemporaneous accounts either - despite being the guy in charge of all of Judea. Most written sources  attesting to Pilate's existence are either from the bible (which you presumably don't accept) or from a Jewish Historian, Josephus, about 70 years after Jesus died - the written evidence for Pilate is about as sketchy as that for Jesus, yet Pilate would have been considered far more important than Jesus in his lifetime, and Pilate's existence is indisputable - in that there are contemporaneous stoneworks that were dug up in the 1960s bearing his name. Nobody was ever going to build statues or mint coins of Jesus in his lifetime, and even if people did write down his name in some record somewhere, it would almost certainly have been destroyed.

You can even find accounts of pre-Christian Roman emperors giving an audience to Jesus' brother's grandsons and all sorts of weird details of that kind, which strikes me as being a bit of a badge of authenticity. If Jesus was made up out of nothing, the supposed fraudsters created a hell of a backstory for him, over a period of decades, even when the bible was plenty to be going on with.

Sure, the bulk of sources about Jesus are Christian, but then nobody outside Christianity would really have given a f**k about the  leader of one of a myriad of obscure Jewish cults until that cult started amassing a ton of followers and taking over the known world, which would have kicked in a few decades after Jesus died.

Edited by Aim Here

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye there's absolutely loads of doubt and debate around him existing.

Christianity was/is just an amalgamation of much of the other religions that were kicking about, with the objective being a power grab. Christianity has stolen loads of bits from other religions, especially around the shite about this Jesus lad (Osiris).

The healing nonsense is remarkably similar to the deeds of the Greek god Asclepius.

25th December was a holiday for Sol Invictus.

Flood legends has been around for centuries before the pish about Noah.

And so on. There are absolutely loads of examples that show that the bible (a dreadful piece of shit) was massively plagiarised, including most of the crap about Jesus.

Of course he's real. Here he is in a nan bread...It's either him or Alice Cooper, but why would Alice Cooper be in a nan bread?enhanced-buzz-27601-1363980886-8.jpg?dow

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

As has been pointed out, most experts believe 'he' existed.

The stories are obviously fictional but don't fall into the easy trap.

His name was probably fucking Frank or something.  They've just fictionalised a bloke called Frank and gave him a snazzy sounding name.  A complete composite character encompassing thousands of self employed joiners in the region at the time.