Do you love Jesus?

Do you love Jesus?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The first image on your list is a 6th century Egyptian depiction of him. If you were a Mediterranean noble who lived indoors all day you would tend to have a light skin tone than field workers. That is not racism, though in modern terms its classism. Its why old painting show fat pale women as idealised images of women, they are in doors and well fed. 
This is Mark the Evangelist from 6th century Aksum Christianity. (Ethiopia.. ) Are they racist?

Illumination-from-Abba-Garima-gospel.jpg&key=3d920684a4b239170d96f8d957fbbaf597635e0b0c74e6035ea1c26aa96d2398

Art depictions of The Christ changed over time and cultures. Its what happens. People depict their gods as similar to them. 
Religion played a hugely important role in our societies for millennia. But in my opinion the time for them is over and we need to embrace rationality, science and the coldness of a universe that does not give a shit. No one is come to rescue us from global warming or our shitty politics. Its us alone in a fucking huge and empty universe. 
Us. 
Alone. 
The arguments against it are not cultural depictions not meeting modern trends. Especially trends that are not aware of the way a Mediterranean culture of Late Antiquity may have seen its leaders then trying to mix that with early second millenia west European art and drawing f**k knows what conclusion. 
Its us, all alone in a universe that gives no fucks about us and if we are to improve the world we need to work to make it better for others knowing that when we go we will reap no benefit but those who came before us reaped no benefit for making our lives better. For the tiny blip on the billions of years of existence we will make, we should work to make those who come after us existence a wee bit better. 
Our countries, cultures, politics, art and pish will  be forgotten. 
Just dont be a c**t and try to make it a bit better for others. 
Why is he dropping a dolphin shaped bomb?

On 14/07/2018 at 11:22, Granny Danger said:

One pet hate of mine is people talking about ‘Christian babies’, ‘Muslim babies’, ‘Jewish babies’, etc.; there is no such thing.

Religion is elective, someone must choose to believe therefore a child who doesn’t yet understand the concept cannot be ‘Christian’ or anything else.

The religious brainwashing of the young from an early age is a different thing...

This was a big moment in my youth of not believing the shite I had been fed from an early age. The myth that a child not christened would not go to heaven was particularly baffling. That and just about every other parable invented to fit different scenarios. Doubting Thomas etc.....................It;s all a pile of shite but if you believe and it helps you live your life then fair dos but don't foist it upon anyone else and judge them for not being as gullible as you. As Stephen Fry said, 'if there was a God the creator why would it allow something to exist that's sole purpose is to extract liquid from a child's eye, causing blindness and unsufferable pain. Come to think of it why would you worship something that would allow that to happen.

This was a big moment in my youth of not believing the shite I had been fed from an early age. The myth that a child not christened would not go to heaven was particularly baffling. That and just about every other parable invented to fit different scenarios. Doubting Thomas etc.....................It;s all a pile of shite but if you believe and it helps you live your life then fair dos but don't foist it upon anyone else and judge them for not being as gullible as you. As Stephen Fry said, 'if there was a God the creator why would it allow something to exist that's sole purpose is to extract liquid from a child's eye, causing blindness and unsufferable pain. Come to think of it why would you worship something that would allow that to happen.
Glenn Hoddle would probably have some ideas on the excruciating eye pain....

You simply cannot underestimate the logical cartwheels these folk will do.

27 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Yeah, I think if ‘belief’, however irrational, stopped there then I’d be less inclined to criticise.  It’s the use of religion to control or dominate (the religious right and their position on homosexuality and abortion), or manipulate  (the practice of shunning of apostates among Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example) that makes organised religion much more insidious and deserving of criticism.

There is one God, who I have created in my own image.

As for the Bible, it’s an interpretation of a translation of an edit of an an account first written hundreds of years after the events took place. It also claims the value of pi is 3 and that wearing a poly-cotton shirt is an affront to God.

2 hours ago, Joe Terrapin said:

As my mate Dave said, if there was a God the creator, why would it allow an arsehole like Stephen Fry to exist?

18 hours ago, pandarilla said:
20 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
As my mate Dave said, if there was a God the creator, why would it allow an arsehole like Stephen Fry to exist?

That's weird, as Stephen fry is on Dave quite regularly.

There’s different ways of reading that response.

• 10 months later...