When you snuff it.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hindu ceremony for me with all my exes having to jump in the Crem oven after me.

I've always liked the idea of a Viking style funeral. Being floated out to sea on a burning longboat with my bikes, camping gear and other worldly belongings sounds very appealing. Small snag in that I live about as far from the sea as it's possible to get and the local river is only about 30 feet wide when it goes through our town. Not sure how the City of Denver Water Authority would feel about giving me a permit to do this in one of the reservoirs but I should look into it. Mrs Shotgun is also being uncooperative about the idea and I'm not sure I entirely trust that she'll strap herself to the pyre as a grieving widow ought. Although given that I'll be taking all the good possessions to the afterlife, I'm not sure what she would want to live for.

ETA: Oh and I want Andy Stewart's "We're no awa' tae bide awa'" playing as they slide me into the Hotpoint.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

Urban myth. Sausage roll is the archetypal Scottish funeral scran...

This takes me back years on here to a poster sadly saying he was going to a funeral of someone dearly beloved, to be told to cheer the f**k up, as there would be sausage rolls for afters 

Had to pick songs for my Dad's funeral earlier this year. Two of his favourite artists were Van Morrison and Jools Holland. We went for these..

I want Wish Me Luck as you Wave me Goodbye by Gracie Fields at mine.

Sorry to hear that. Must have been tough. Knowing what artists/songs the person likes is half the battle. My dad wants “return to sender” for his. I remember we had to choose the 3 songs for my mums and a different t-rex song was played to what we had chosen. I’n the middle of all of it, i was cursing the guy we had given the playlist to. Poor boy had done nothing wrong. My dad had changed it and never told me.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Had to pick songs for my Dad's funeral earlier this year. Two of his favourite artists were Van Morrison and Jools Holland. We went for these..
I want Wish Me Luck as you Wave me Goodbye by Gracie Fields at mine.

I had to choose the music for my Dad's funeral a year or so ago. He wasn't really into his music, liked a bit of Johnny Cash but never played it, so I didn't have much to go by, but I knew he was a staunch remainer after WW2 and anything stopping that shit again, and I knew there were a few brexiteers attending, so I was well tempted to put in Ode to Joy. He would have hated the joke though, so we found some suitable Scottish Boys Brigade stuff and handed over the CD. The organist at the crematorium played the exact same track as the mourners arrived and the recorded version was played later, can't remember the exact timing, but it would have saved a fortune just to slip her a twenty and say carry on when appropriate. These Funeral Directors are total shysters BTW, when you're going through a bereavement you just want everything as smooth as possible but they can really take the pish if you don't keep your eye on the details. Things you think are incidental can seriously mount up. 

I see death and dying all the time in work (palliative care, not a cheeky sideline), but we had one recently that had requested his body be donated to the University for medical science. Total bloody faff. Don't do it. 

1 minute ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

I see death and dying all the time in work (palliative care, not a cheeky sideline), but we had one recently that had requested his body be donated to the University for medical science. Total bloody faff. Don't do it. 

Surely it’s essential that some folk do that.

9 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

Whys it a faff can you not send a body in the post?

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Surely it’s essential that some folk do that.

Some should, but unless you die in pristine condition, they don't want you. 

1 minute ago, Adam101 said:

Whys it a faff can you not send a body in the post?

You need to die in office hours, Monday to Friday, 9 to 5, so they can come and collect you. 

1 minute ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

Some should, but unless you die in pristine condition, they don't want you. 

You need to die in office hours, Monday to Friday, 9 to 5, so they can come and collect you. 

I'll bear that in mind when I die. also do they not want todo tests on all parts of the body so it shouldn't matter if you're a mess as long as your eyes work or you have some skin for them to test?

17 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I'll bear that in mind when I die. also do they not want todo tests on all parts of the body so it shouldn't matter if you're a mess as long as your eyes work or you have some skin for them to test?

Not really. Most bodies get used for anatomy lessons, so they'll accept bodies work certain conditions, but if your organs are a total riot, they're not best suited to that purpose.  

They also have so many people that want to do it these days that there's a surplus and they have to reject some because they don't have the capacity to take them. 

3 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

Not really. Most bodies get used for anatomy lessons, so they'll accept bodies work certain conditions, but if your organs are a total riot, they're not best suited to that purpose.  

They also have so many people that want to do it these days that there's a surplus and they have to reject some because they don't have the capacity to take them. 

Thanks for an insight sort of never thought of the amount and quality of people who donate their bodies to science.

I would be happy to be flung in the landfill some of the grave sites are just silly prices.

ETA Why do people get buried on their back and not "standing up" or on their head, you would need to digger a bit deeper but you could squeeze more in (not euurph)

Anyway if I can't get chucked in the tip then I will be getting cremated then my burnt skeleton will be put in a concrete mixer with some ball bearings to break me up and then given to my loved one to keep me on the mantlepiece and use my hip replacements as paperweights 

38 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

5 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

A noble thing to do, I can’t even bring myself to carry a donor card

Archived