The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

14 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

To be honest, it's not that crazy, if you accept that social media is, on the whole, a good thing. I've yet to be convinced. What is for sure is that, where technology exists to make life easier, the potential for corruption and misuse also exists. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing that Google was still just a bloody good search engine.

I think Jeremy's reasoning is that, rather than handing over responsibility for policing these platforms to their owners, who obviously have profit as their prime driver, on a state-run platform it would be easier to exclude the loons and crazies. The extremists from all fringes of society would still be out there, though. There's not many paedophile groups on FB or the like, but like calls to like just the same. Personally I'm against the kind of censorship May is calling for, as at least an open forum allows for the less careful nutjobs to spotlight themselves - thereby getting the fúckers out of the shadows.

There are so many problems with the plan. The main one being the assumption that anyone would actually want to use the platform over the more established other options. The lower the user base the more of a pointless oublic money sink it would be.

It shows how old fashioned his thinking is and how he thinks nationalisation is the answer to everything. Social media is the kind of industry that would really not suit being nationalisation due to the fact that isn't local or rooted in a certain place, it has relatively low overheads and is all about innovation which nationalisation can sometimes stifle.

Even though authoritarian governments in China ban Facebook they still don't have nationalised social media platforms as their primary platforms.

There's wee Jonesy been chucked off the Twitter for good. Fair play to Dorsey and the lads, give them another six months and they might decide that death threats or calls for the eradication of all non-whites should probably earn you a couple of days ban.

19 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

There's wee Jonesy been chucked off the Twitter for good. Fair play to Dorsey and the lads, give them another six months and they might decide that death threats or calls for the eradication of all non-whites should probably earn you a couple of days ban.

Does anyone even on the tinfoil hat wearing right think that he's not batshit mental? I see his trial for defaming parents of Sandy Hook Primary School victims is going ahead.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Does anyone even on the tinfoil hat wearing right think that he's not batshit mental? I see his trial for defaming parents of Sandy Hook Primary School victims is going ahead.

I may have read it wrong, but isn’t part of his defence is that his assertions are so outrageous no one should take them seriously?

That aside, surely First Amendment rights don’t allow a person to accuse the parents of a murdered child of being a paid government actor.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I may have read it wrong, but isn’t part of his defence is that his assertions are so outrageous no one should take them seriously?

That aside, surely First Amendment rights don’t allow a person to accuse the parents of a murdered child of being a paid government actor.

The law in the US is complicated, but as I understand it there's a higher threshold for defamation against famous people, so he has to prove they are famous for a start. Then he has to prove that he didn't know it wasn't true when he said it, along with malicious intent, and at the same time claiming you'd have to be insane to believe it. He'll probably get off.

Edited by welshbairn

In his divorce trial, his lawyer claimed Jones was a character actor, who is performing on Infowars.

Had a wee search on Twitter for the latest on the Swedish election. All of the stuff coming up from the international press is about a "far right earthquake" result and other hyperbolic guff.

Looking at the actual results there and after 85% of the vote counted, the Social Democrats are in first on 28.3% and the Swedish Democrats are in third on 17.7%. For context, the opinion polls which I'm guessing were used to pre-write these articles had them separated by about 5%. The odds on who would win the most seats this morning were 1/2 SocDem and 6/4 SweDem. In other words, it's been a bit of a damp squib for the far right. Which you wouldn't get a sense of from some in the media, who are talking up the result up as the end of humanity as we know it.

The left and right coalitions look to be neck and neck, which actually does have the potential to cause problems. That doesn't seem to be the focus though. The intricacies of parliamentary coalitions isn't as sexy as right wing populism. In terms of 'the normalisation of the far right', a good start would be if the mainstream media stopped using it for clickbait.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

3 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Had a wee search on Twitter for the latest on the Swedish election. All of the stuff coming up from the international press is about a "far right earthquake" result and other hyperbolic guff.

Looking at the actual results there and after 85% of the vote counted, the Social Democrats are in first on 28.3% and the Swedish Democrats are in third on 17.7%. For context, the opinion polls which I'm guessing were used to pre-write these articles had them separated by about 5%. The odds on who would win the most seats this morning were 1/2 SocDem and 6/4 SweDem. In other words, it's been a bit of a damp squib for the far right. Which you wouldn't get a sense of from some in the media, who are talking up the result up as the end of humanity as we know it.

The left and right coalitions look to be neck and neck, which actually does have the potential to cause problems. That doesn't seem to be the focus though. The intricacies of parliamentary coalitions isn't as sexy as right wing populism. In terms of 'the normalisation of the far right', a good start would be if the mainstream media stopped using it for clickbait.

The media seem to be trying to link the far right with countries with high scale immigration like Sweden, rather than Hungary with practically zero. Don't know why. The worrying thing to me is the EU parliamentary elections next year, where small parties can get a big voice because of the voting system and people use it as a protest vote. The c**t farage and his mates would love it if Brexit is postponed and he keeps his snout in the trough.

image.png.2429f72a50a6ad98745113d738c17da0.png

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

The Swedish Democrats hold the balance of power though.

They will put the right wing alliance into power and demand something in return.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The media seem to be trying to link the far right with countries with high scale immigration like Sweden, rather than Hungary with practically zero...

In Hungary's case there was the very large column of Syrian refugees that passed through, so the media coverage can be a bit disingenuous at times when the suggestion is that there was nothing substantial happening there for populists to fuel the visceral level fears of voters. Think the most worrying thing about Sweden is that this is a right wing party that until relatively recently had no problem with being involved with groups that were openly neo-Nazi, which makes it different from cranky right wing but still somewhat respectable groups like AfD and UKIP. This is much more like the BNP or NPD grabbing the balance of power in a British or German context.

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

The Swedish Democrats hold the balance of power though.

They will put the right wing alliance into power and demand something in return.

Nah, they'll cobble together a coalition to keep the far right out.

_103362393_2018_seats-nc.png