The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

The comfortable middle class truly believe that if you put these haufwits on TV everyone will see them as haufwits and it will go badly for them. Sherri Peach came across to people who can read as a slavering maniac, and they assume everyone will see that. Their incompetence is in not understanding how large a proportion of the British public will agree with it.

You talk to these people about racism and they'll say things like it needs to be pulled out into the open so it can be dealt with, otherwise it just continues in private. That's how they think. 

I think you're giving them to much credit. Farage = QT trending on the twitter = success. Anything else is incidental. 

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

In regard to the question of which parties they should align with the Trotskyists were upset when told to take their pick by the Stalinists... 

Bravo, I’d been trying something witty along these lines but the idea was just stuck in my head.

So the actual far-right making significant gains in all of France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Austria, Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands and Hungary, and this is the same EU which so many folk are desperate to rejoin?

These far-right groups aren't just your average 'Tory' types, they are genuine successors to Fascists of the past 

Of course we need a better overall relationship with Europe, but these election results make an EFTA route much more palatable, rather than trying to jump back in with the current direction of political travel of the EU's main players.

5 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

So the actual far-right making significant gains in all of France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Austria, Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands and Hungary, and this is the same EU which so many folk are desperate to rejoin?

These far-right groups aren't just your average 'Tory' types, they are genuine successors to Fascists of the past 

Of course we need a better overall relationship with Europe, but these election results make an EFTA route much more palatable, rather than trying to jump back in with the current direction of political travel of the EU's main players.

Honest question mate - are you Emu and now that Rod Hull’s dead you desperately want the worst version of the Labour Party in history to be elbow deep in your arse? 

I saw something else today about how Britain has managed to avoid turning to the far-right, unlike the EU.

It's terrifying how (wilfully?) blind some people can be about what's happening on their own island.

19 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

These countries border each other.  Without the EU forcing these countries to work together, there would be tanks on the border with all of them because that is how fascists like to fix things.

I read that somewhere.

19 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Honest question mate - are you Emu and now that Rod Hull’s dead you desperately want the worst version of the Labour Party in history to be elbow deep in your arse? 

..and the relevance of your reply to a far-right surge across Europe is..?

Just blown away that the rise of the far-right across Europe (including the UK) isn't down to the SNP, so far.

23 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:
22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I saw something else today about how Britain has managed to avoid turning to the far-right, unlike the EU.

It's terrifying how (wilfully?) blind some people can be about what's happening on their own island.

Are you seriously equating the Tories, even Reform, and (no doubt) Labour, to National Rally in France, AfD in Germany, N-V-A- in Belgium, FPO in Austria and of course Orban in Hungary?

Maybe look up some of the actual policy positions of these groups (all of them with leading vote shares (AfD are in 2nd place).

The country that claims to be the greatest anti-fascist force of all time and even stood alone against Nazi Germany decides to remove its "moderating influence" and suddenly fascists are abound on the continent.

Quelle surprise.

10 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

..and the relevance of your reply to a far-right surge across Europe is..?

The EU was primarily about trade. Brexit has been a fucking disaster in that respect. Kieth doesn’t have the cojones to say it’s been a fucking disaster. But now that Europe might be getting a wee bit fashy, it’s very wise of Kieth not to say Brexit’s been a fucking disaster because we don’t want to be getting into bed with the fashies. Apart from Luke Akehurst, natch. 

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

The EU was primarily about trade. Brexit has been a fucking disaster in that respect. Kieth doesn’t have the cojones to say it’s been a fucking disaster. But now that Europe might be getting a wee bit fashy, it’s very wise of Kieth not to say Brexit’s been a fucking disaster because we don’t want to be getting into bed with the fashies. Apart from Luke Akehurst, natch. 

I got annoyed with how Blair was totally cosy with Bellusconi, Bush and other leaders from the right and totally uncomfortable with anyone noticeably left.  I expect the same thing to happen again.

Saying that I suspect Starmer in the hot tub with Trump is more likely than with Le Pen or Meloni.

I am saying this because I don't want it to happen.

29 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

'A wee bit fashy'...actual far-right, successors of Fascists, taking the highest vote shares in many places and being on the rise.

So you want to jump out of one union 'cause the Tooarries and the Red Toaarries' and jump into a political union with groups listed above who now hold influence in the EU Parliament and their own national bodies? Its maybe not the best look to be plugging full union with the EU in the same week these election results came through.

You also realise that you don't have to be 'in' the EU to trade with them...Switzerland, Iceland, and Norway manage just fine via EFTA.

59 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I got annoyed with how Blair was totally cosy with Bellusconi, Bush and other leaders from the right and totally uncomfortable with anyone noticeably left.  I expect the same thing to happen again.

Saying that I suspect Starmer in the hot tub with Trump is more likely than with Le Pen or Meloni.

I am saying this because I don't want it to happen.

Thank Christ I hadn’t just finished eating when I read that.  No one needs that image created for them.

8 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

'A wee bit fashy'...actual far-right, successors of Fascists, taking the highest vote shares in many places and being on the rise.

So you want to jump out of one union 'cause the Tooarries and the Red Toaarries' and jump into a political union with groups listed above who now hold influence in the EU Parliament and their own national bodies? Its maybe not the best look to be plugging full union with the EU in the same week these election results came through.

You also realise that you don't have to be 'in' the EU to trade with them...Switzerland, Iceland, and Norway manage just fine via EFTA.

I get all of that - but when Stephen Flynn is on the telly saying immigration is essential then I’m not sure how Kieth going ‘eh well, we’ll f**k them off somewhere that isn’t Rwanda and we certainly don’t want any more of the fuckers’ paints Labour in any sort of good light. 

Do bear in mind that I posed the question to you specifically to see the gymnastics you could attempt to think you could do, but ultimately brush to one side to go AYE BUT WELL AYE BUT KIETHS GOOD AND ANAS IS GOOD AND JACKIE BAILLIE

I do notice you didn’t jump out in defence of Akehurst so I do know you do have a sense of shame. Honestly man, listen to it. It’ll be OK. Most people are nice. I’m sure you’re nice. Stop trying to gaslight me. I’m really old and fucking bored. 

ffs, now he's saying he's leader of the opposition and demanding a debate with Starmer. Farage lost in the fog of deception, lies and outright pish. A dangerous, dangerous man.

I would also very much like to do a debate head-to-head with Keir Starmer and the reason is very simple. We think that this should be the immigration election because whether we are talking about rents, whether we are talking about housing availability... there is no aspect of our national life that is not touched by the massive population crisis this country now faces.” 

12 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

ffs, now he's saying he's leader of the opposition and demanding a debate with Starmer. Farage lost in the fog of deception, lies and outright pish. A dangerous, dangerous man.

I would also very much like to do a debate head-to-head with Keir Starmer and the reason is very simple. We think that this should be the immigration election because whether we are talking about rents, whether we are talking about housing availability... there is no aspect of our national life that is not touched by the massive population crisis this country now faces.” 

Saw that.  Everything else aside is there any of these polls predicting Reform will get more MPs elected than the Tories?

Or any MPs elected?