Strikers coming through

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think this is a myth. There is a quote somewhere from McTominay saying he played maybe 1 game there for the youth team. There is a video/quote which i can dig out later if proof is required.

Well yes you could either dig out the video proof required, I could probably dig out some articles and quotes from coaches at United that said he played as a forward and we could both just bore everyone to death trying to pretend that we’re both right based on neither of us having watched a single game that he ever played for the youth teams at Carrington, or we could probably just save everyone the boredom and agree that his best position is probably exactly where I said it was, in midfield making runs in to the box.

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Well yes you could either dig out the video proof required, I could probably dig out some articles and quotes from coaches at United that said he played as a forward and we could both just bore everyone to death trying to pretend that we’re both right based on neither of us having watched a single game that he ever played for the youth teams at Carrington, or we could probably just save everyone the boredom and agree that his best position is probably exactly where I said it was, in midfield making runs in to the box.

https://www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/scott-mctominay-addresses-striker-talk-from-his-time-in-man-utd-academy

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Thanks mate, that's the one.

People always said: ‘You played as a striker as a kid.' I never played as a striker. I played two games there with [former Reserves coach] Warren Joyce because we had no striker. So, whenever I score a goal, people always say: ‘He used to be a striker, that’s why.’ I never used to be a striker! I’ve always been a midfield player - a number eight, so it is funny when you hear stuff like that.

Scott McTominay

@Aidan It's not about boring people to death. If you want to believe what you wrote fine, but at least everyone else has a fair crack now.

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

@Aidan It's not about boring people to death. If you want to believe what you wrote fine, but at least everyone else has a fair crack now.

to be fair McTominay does contradict himself "I never played as a striker. I played two games there" but best move on anyway.......do we have any other strikers coming through?

10 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

to be fair McTominay does contradict himself "I never played as a striker. I played two games there" but best move on anyway.......do we have any other strikers coming through?

I don't agree, but I've said my piece. The information is out there. Interpret it however you want.

31 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Here we see the problems created by English lacking a clear distinction between the past habitual and past perfect tenses.  They should do these interviews in something like Latin, or perhaps Old Irish, in order to keep us all clear on such matters.

11 hours ago, Aidan said:

Yes, please do dig out the actual quotes from coaches at United that contradict what the player himself has said? I'm interested.

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I don't think it's boring. The player himself has said it's a fallacy and never happened barring a couple of emergency situations. I'd be interested to hear if there are actual direct quotes from people involved that contradict it or if it's just internet hearsay. He says he can dig out quotes, let's see them.

56 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Well he does in literal isolation but I'm sure the first part actually means he was never considered to be a striker as his main role and merely covered it (twice apparently) in an emergency scenario where no strikers were available.

If we line up as someone suggested above with Lewis Ferguson as the advanced player in front of the normal midfield line he's still "not a striker"

Not that its a particularly great reference, but transfermarkt is fairly adamant McTominay played up front for Man Utds U23 side in 16/17 and wore the number 9.

McTominay is obviously far more likely to know where he played than them, but its interesting in terms of evidence of an opposing view.

On 19/02/2024 at 12:53, A Diamond For Me said:

Here we see the problems created by English lacking a clear distinction between the past habitual and past perfect tenses.  They should do these interviews in something like Latin, or perhaps Old Irish, in order to keep us all clear on such matters.

Spanish would do it.  
“No jugaba delantero; jugué dos partidos ahí.„ 

English is such an imprecise language. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched him for Sheffield United this season and he's played well. Held the ball up and been the lone striker/focal point similar to Dykes. He's definitely more of a top Championship than Premier League level but that's not dissimilar to our other options.

He's not getting ahead of Shankland, Dykes and Adams but if any of them are out injured McBurnie is probably up there as a replacement option 

45 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Watched him for Sheffield United this season and he's played well. Held the ball up and been the lone striker/focal point similar to Dykes. He's definitely more of a top Championship than Premier League level but that's not dissimilar to our other options.

He's not getting ahead of Shankland, Dykes and Adams but if any of them are out injured McBurnie is probably up there as a replacement option 

As unexciting as McBurnie is, he does have 16 caps and is scoring occasionally for a terrible team in the Premier League.

We’ve those three ahead of him so you’d assume there’s no room later this month, but if you lose one ahead of June then better to have someone with decent experience than picking someone with zero but performing well in the Championship (e.g. Hardie).

Seems like sensible planning from SC.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

19 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

As unexciting as McBurnie is, he does have 16 caps and is scoring occasionally for a terrible team in the Premier League.

We’ve those three ahead of him so you’d assume there’s no room later this month, but if you lose one ahead of June then better to have someone with decent experience than picking someone with zero but performing well in the Championship (e.g. Hardie).

Seems like sensible planning from SC.

In those 16 caps which McBurnie has, Scotland scored exactly 1 goal while he was on the park.

I think if the Euros squad was announced this week, the four* forwards would be Adams, Dykes, Shankland and Barnes (if he is turned).

If Barnes hasn't had a change in heart, I think Clarke would just go with Adams, Dykes and Shankland and use the space for an extra midfielder or defender.

I dont think McBurnie, Conway etc get a call up. Brown, Nisbet or Stewart might have if not injured.

That being said, Euros squad isn't announced this week and there is still time for one of those fringe strikers to find some sort of form. 

*assuming Christie is in as a midfielder rather than Forward 

Would agree with you on that one Quentin Taranbino, the curve ball on this one though is that Christie tends to named as a Striker when the squad is announced, I can't see Christie not being in the squad that goes. So with that in mind.....and assuming Barnes "is turned", what Midfielders are left out to accommodate Christie?

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Would agree with you on that one Quentin Taranbino, the curve ball on this one though is that Christie tends to named as a Striker when the squad is announced, I can't see Christie not being in the squad that goes. So with that in mind.....and assuming Barnes "is turned", what Midfielders are left out to accommodate Christie?

Christie is close to a certainty to go, even guys like McLean and Armstrong would be binned long before him.

Aye, whether he is named as a midfielder or a forward, barring injury there is no way Christie doesn't make it to the Euros. Even if he was sent to the Bournemouth reserves and didn't kick a ball for the rest of the season, he would be there.