Strikers coming through

Anyone seen much of the boy Wilson at Rangers (not fir long by the sounds of it)? I know he's only 17 so I'm not expecting him to play now, but how good a prospect and what type of striker is he? 

On a similar note to[mention=39257]velo army[/mention]'s question - is Ben Doak positionally settled? He's listed as a full back and a winger on Wikipedia (yeah I know), but from what little I've seen he looks more of an attacking midfielder/supporting fwd, so quite possibly fairly relevant to this thread

11 hours ago, velo army said:

Anyone seen much of the boy Wilson at Rangers (not fir long by the sounds of it)? I know he's only 17 so I'm not expecting him to play now, but how good a prospect and what type of striker is he? 

According to the BBC this morning (who's source is the sun so I'm not linking that) Wilson has quit Rangers and is off to England.

I have to say, I was excited to watch him for the U17s but wasn't hugely impressed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61576243

3 minutes ago, Glennie said:

how far down the list of best English strikers would you have to go before you found a player worse than our best strikers?

I would give my left bollock for a guy like Callum Wilson or Tammy Abraham who won’t even be anywhere near their team 

Ewan Urain - Athletic Bilbao

Fraser Hornby - Reims

Lewis Morgan - New York Red Bulls

Lawrence Shankland - Beerschot

Karlan Grant - West Brom

All worth considering, plus Stewart and Brown both deserve a proper look. Too early to spit the dummy on Dykes and Adams after one bad game though 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

It’s Ross Stewart time. Play him and see what we have. The Lyndon Dykes era is coming to a conclusion.

I don't think the tactic of playing long ball will change if Stewart does play.

18 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Fraser Hornby - Reims

Karlan Grant - West Brom

All worth considering, plus Stewart and Brown both deserve a proper look. Too early to spit the dummy on Dykes and Adams after one bad game though 

That list is the reason there are genuine concerns about squad depth going forward.  Absolutely no-one on that list excites me, Urain and Hornby are nowhere near their club's first teams and Shankland has done next to nothing at Beerschot.  Only one I'd potentially even consider is Grant, but I'm not sure he's even committed to Scotland. Agree, we probably need to give Stewart and Brown an opportunity, maybe the Armenia game for at least one of them.

Fraser Hornby - Reims
Karlan Grant - West Brom

All "okay" options, but you are completely right that Dykes and Adams are our best bets still.

I'm not worried about our striking options based on tonight. What we watched there was a combination of tactical failure and too many players looking leggy.

We should maybe stop thinking about where the next superstar is coming from and start asking why the likes of Waled and Northern Ireland (in recent years) can put out teams of absolute jobbers and still outperform us. We don't have a superstar coming through. We don't even seem to have an improvement on what we have now coming through. So where's a David Healy or a Hal Robson Kanu? Or how can we make someone shite into one? Because if we had a chance like that 95th minute goal they scored tonight, would you back anyone in our squad to score regularly? 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Fraser Hornby - Reims

Karlan Grant - West Brom

Having had Fraser Hornby on loan at Aberdeen and the fact that Callum Hendry was better than him, I can say that I'd rather have Callum Hendry. 

On 02/06/2022 at 00:27, forameus said:

We should maybe stop thinking about where the next superstar is coming from and start asking why the likes of Waled and Northern Ireland (in recent years) can put out teams of absolute jobbers and still outperform us. We don't have a superstar coming through. We don't even seem to have an improvement on what we have now coming through. So where's a David Healy or a Hal Robson Kanu? Or how can we make someone shite into one? Because if we had a chance like that 95th minute goal they scored tonight, would you back anyone in our squad to score regularly? 

In the case of Wales, it’s presumably Gareth Bale who has meant that Wales have been able to put out a team of jobbers and still outperform us.

Northern Ireland have failed to win any if their 12 Nations League games and won 2 out of 8 WC qualifiers. 

Edited by Captain Saintsible

7 hours ago, LiviLion said:

I see Jack Harper got a few 2 goals in the Spanish third tier this season.

Hopefully we can get him capped before Spain get him.

He probably would be capped if we hadn't capped an Australian and guy from the Midlands , Halifax etc etc