Trapdoorwatch 2018-19

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

This is true.

However any promoted team would have a summer(at least) to bridge the gap.

Two different questions here.

A) how would top end tier 5 clubs do vs league 2 opposition.

And

B) how would top end tier 5 clubs compete in league 2 if promoted and receive the extra finance given to those clubs.

This goes for the difference between most levels, you get the likes of Brechin who’ll massively struggle with the step up but you also have teams like livi and Ayr, it’s the beauty of a fluid divisional structure.

Cove and East Kilbride have already had more money pumped into them than most League 2 sides.

Edited by The_Pit_Owns

11 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

Think East Kilbride will be far too strong for Cove and also do us in the final. 

ICT have played both in the cups this season and Cove caused us more problems that EK did.  And that was when EK were fucking everyone in their league.  The Cove game was about the 2nd game of the season for both clubs so were probably rusty.  EK offered absolutely nothing actually.

13 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Hardly a massive safety net and it's the SPFL who introduced the trapdoor in the first place.

It's a pretty decent safety net to be fair and the trapdoor was introduced after a lot of crying about it.  It should be 1 up, 1 down and a play-off between 2nd/3rd/4th and 9th from SPFL2, just like every other league.

Having watched EK 3 times this season, I wouldn't write them off beating either Albion Rovers or Berwick over 2 games, they're a handy team with a lot more SPFL experience throughout than both these teams.

Edinburgh City have shown it's tough, but can be done, and I think EK have a real chance of being the 2nd team to achieve it.

15 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The decrying of the quality of L2 is just one of those tropes that are trotted out without any real justification by folks who watch too much Champions League

Hardly true of Hampden Diehard though, is it?

Is there word on when the draw will be to decide which leg of the pyramid playoff will be played where? The SHFL side has had the first leg at home every year, is that a fluke or deliberate?

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Having watched EK 3 times this season, I wouldn't write them off beating either Albion Rovers or Berwick over 2 games, they're a handy team with a lot more SPFL experience throughout than both these teams.

Edinburgh City have shown it's tough, but can be done, and I think EK have a real chance of being the 2nd team to achieve it.

Would be good if they could beat Cove Rangers first.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Is there word on when the draw will be to decide which leg of the pyramid playoff will be played where? The SHFL side has had the first leg at home every year, is that a fluke or deliberate?

The dates are on the SLFL website fixtures page. I can't remember the order of the semi final legs off hand though.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

2014-15 had Edinburgh City at home first. Maybe last season Cove were forced to play at home first due to the fixture congestion? But the rules state that "A draw supervised by the Scottish FA will determine which club has home advantage in the first match." - would be nice if they did the draw soon.

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

It isn't like every other League though - is that really the situation at the foot of the Lowland League and the foot of the Highland League ?

There's automatic relegation (usually) for those who finish bottom of the Lowland League.

The only reason it isn't the same in the Highland League is that there isn't a league below in the pyramid.

Would be good if they could beat Cove Rangers first.

I’ve never seen Cove play, so have no idea if EK can/will beat them or not. I have seen EK, Berwick and Albion 3 times each this season and, with what I have seen, I would say EK have a very good chance, if they can beat Cove, which was my point.

The decrying of the quality of L2 is just one of those tropes that are trotted out without any real justification by folks who watch too much Champions League

The standard of League 2 is terrible this season and in a poor league Berwick and Albion have accrued laughable points tallies. They are two of the worst teams I have ever seen at this level.

The quality of teams 4-8 is also very poor this year. Clyde (3rd) have taken 10/12 points vs Annan (4th), 10/12 vs Stirling (5th) and 9/12 vs Elgin (6th). The top three all have ridiculous points tallies that would be league winning totals in most normal seasons.

If cove or ek cannot win a playoff vs Berwick or Albion this season it is hard to see them ever doing so.

Pretty much every single season it's said that League 2 is of a below-average overall standard. As it is, we've three impressive sides immersed in a title battle, all of whom could reasonably expect their performances and results to have them clear at the top in most other seasons. A step down from that, we've got Annan who have claimed some very good results against those sides and are by some margin the best of the rest - and a good side in their own right. 5th-8th are definitely a bit weaker than usual, but the reality will be somewhere in the middle; the improvement in the top three is shown up more by the drop-off in the mid-lower reaches of the table, and vice-versa. Berwick and Rovers both seem to have improved recently, particularly the latter. I'm pretty sure this season will see Club 42 relegated, but Rovers stand a much better chance of winning the play-off than Berwick, who unfortunately look doomed. 

Edited by the_bully_wee

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

I’ve never seen Cove play, so have no idea if EK can/will beat them or not. I have seen EK, Berwick and Albion 3 times each this season and, with what I have seen, I would say EK have a very good chance, if they can beat Cove, which was my point.

Hopefully EK can at least take out Cove and Berwick if only for the easier travelling for Albion Rovers.