Haggis

JamieThomas

Moved to this far right religious hellhole 10 months ago, and even vegetarian haggis isn't a thing here. My dear old maw is across to visit for a bit, and smuggled the f**k out of two big bad haggis boys. I don't exaggerate when I say I almost wept when she got them through customs.

Question: if you lads ever left the land of milk and haggis - what would you miss most?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Moved to this far right religious hellhole 10 months ago, and even vegetarian haggis isn't a thing here. My dear old maw is across to visit for a bit, and smuggled the f**k out of two big bad haggis boys. I don't exaggerate when I say I almost wept when she got them through customs.

Question: if you lads ever left the land of milk and haggis - what would you miss most?

I've been living in the US since 1993 and while nowadays, most things can be obtained for a price, online if not in specialty shops, yeah, haggis would be nice occasionally. 

9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I've been living in the US since 1993 and while nowadays, most things can be obtained for a price, online if not in specialty shops, yeah, haggis would be nice occasionally. 

One of the boys I used to play football with who now lives in Minneapolis told me earlier he'd stab one of my eyes out for a proper haggis. He's been here about 10 years. Anyway, I don't necessarily want this thread to be about haggis. Surely some of the overseas lads miss Irn Bru or lassies offering sex in bus stops for chips.

24 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Been away so long my memory thinks I probably have miss a white pudden supper the most followed by a proper peh and maybe a plehn bridie but no an ingin' ane an a.

ETA: also some decent black pudding.

My dear, departed uncle lived in Cornwall for about the last 50 odd years of his life. Whenever we went to visit him or vice versa, white puddings were the most important things that he wanted.

I find it the shite junk food I miss the most to be honest...

Haggis, proper sausages, smoked bacon, scotch pies/Bridies, salt & vinegar crisps, poppadoms with the full pickle tray, cheese, a proper fish supper, chorizo, white & black pudding, smoked mackerel, sun dried tomatoes, West Indian pepper sauce, lamb, bitter lemon (for mixing with Gin), cinnamon Grahams, mint sauce......list is in no particular order and I'm sure there's a few things I've missed too!

30 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Been away so long my memory thinks I probably have miss a white pudden supper the most followed by a proper peh and maybe a plehn bridie but no an ingin' ane an a.

ETA: also some decent black pudding.

For some stupid reason you could not get a white pudding down south. Back in the 70’s the only place to get a white pudding was a chip shop. Our local shop was nice enough to sell us half a dozen uncooked that we could take to him.

46 minutes ago, sjc said:

I find it the shite junk food I miss the most to be honest...

Haggis, proper sausages, smoked bacon, scotch pies/Bridies, salt & vinegar crisps, poppadoms with the full pickle tray, cheese, a proper fish supper, chorizo, white & black pudding, smoked mackerel, sun dried tomatoes, West Indian pepper sauce, lamb, bitter lemon (for mixing with Gin), cinnamon Grahams, mint sauce......list is in no particular order and I'm sure there's a few things I've missed too!

I've never heard of West Indian pepper sauce until now but I'm craving it.

One of the boys I used to play football with who now lives in Minneapolis told me earlier he'd stab one of my eyes out for a proper haggis. He's been here about 10 years. Anyway, I don't necessarily want this thread to be about haggis. Surely some of the overseas lads miss Irn Bru or lassies offering sex in bus stops for chips.

It's easy enough to get Irn Bru, it's just it's the FDA altered recipe that's flat as f**k. The stuff that goes to Canada is the legit shit; look out for 500ml bottles with French writing on em. I can get it in Chicago. Could only get the shite version in Miami.

EDIT - you could pump me in a bus stop for decent chips tho

Tbh, vegetarian haggis shouldn't be a thing any fucking where!

I once had a beautiful moment of silent kinship in the soft drinks aisle of a supermarket in Wellington.

For much of the two years I spent in New Zealand, getting Irn-bru wasn't an issue; I always knew of a few shops near where I lived that supplied it. Then all of a sudden it wasn't there, it wasn't anywhere, and no-one knew why. 

Months passed and I eventually moved to Wellington and, having put up a poster in the hostel in which I was living, caught wind of a shop on the other side of the city that supposedly sold it. 

By this time most of the hostel had got behind my search for the mysterious orange drink, so a multi-national reconnaissance team made up of myself, 1 English, 1 French and 1 Argentinian set out to finally bring the Bru home. 

When we got to the supermarket we split up to try and track it down and as I paced up the soft drinks aisle I noticed a figure ahead of me, quite obviously in deep thought. As I got closer, I noticed his face glowing a bright orange colour. The luminous glow that can only be made via light being refracted through a bottle of Irn-Bru 

I hastened my step and when I eventually reached the source of the light I understood his ponderous state. The Irn-Bru cost nearly eight fucking dollars. Just to rub it in further, the labels still came with 'Only £1' enblazened on them.

We stood side by side for a moment, cursing the obvious extortion at work,  and looked one another in the eyes before finally, simultaneously, reaching forward to take a bottle. After a nod of recognition we were both off on our separate ways, never to see each other again. 

A piece of my heart will forever be his. 

Archived