Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

941 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Their insistence of trying to find out what team their guest supported was cringe inducing and pretty rude - particularly when trying to pin him to one or other of the OF. Their patter is well past it’s sell by date like 95% of their anecdotes or tropes as they like to say.

Clue: it only is a trope as it’s perpetually trundled out, come out with some better patter ffs. 

"Sevco are only putting in 600 seats, it's a disgrace and I'm celtic fan"

"I'm a celtic fan"

"I'm a celtic fan"

"I'm a celtic fan".....

10 hours ago, Elframo said:

Oh Christ McCabe is on......  Tam and Stuart both off till the 10th...

turned over to listen to the News Quiz on Radio 4- bloody McCabe was on that too! 

I wonder what the listening figures are like, for when Stuart and Tam are on, one of them is on, and neither of them is on?

I suspect all 3 are down on what they once were.

Maybe it’s down to shit guests? Dougray Scott was on once, he was a great listen.

Edited by Afc69

I know someone said a few pages ago that S&T were bitter they didn't get a Euros gig. I would be if I was them - had to endure years of non qualifications then when we do the gig is given to a former Murdoch weasel and bloody Compton who's become a parody of himself 

38 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

I wonder what the listening figures are like, for when Stuart and Tam are on, one of them is in, and neither of them is on?

I suspect all 3 are down on what they once were.

Maybe it’s down to shit guests? Dougray Scott was on once, he was a great listen.

All three will be down just as a consequence of media changing. I don't usually go to games in the car, but when I did years ago it would usually be with OTB then Sportsound on. There wasn't really any choice. Nowadays it's usually a football podcast, just because there is now so much choice.

Last time I went up to a game in a mate's car we spent the trip listening to podcasts about old World Cups. That kind of thing wasn't an option before.

The programme itself is getting worse though. I rarely listen now, and struggle to keep it on for long when I do.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

I know someone said a few pages ago that S&T were bitter they didn't get a Euros gig. I would be if I was them - had to endure years of non qualifications then when we do the gig is given to a former Murdoch weasel and bloody Compton who's become a parody of himself 

They do a radio show, that was a TV show, I don't see how the two are connected. Cowan had his own TV show at one point and as much as it had its moments I wouldn't say it was exactly a roaring success.

No idea how good the Smart and Compston thing was because I didn't watch it, partly because I was in Germany for a lot of the time, and partly because I don't really find either of them likeable or worth watching.

On 20/07/2024 at 12:23, bennett said:

"Sevco are only putting in 600 seats, it's a disgrace and I'm celtic fan"

"I'm a celtic fan"

"I'm a celtic fan"

"I'm a celtic fan".....

Actually that's made me realize why OTB was so good/refreshing when it first became a thing -

- Not presented by fans of one of the Big 2 (real Diddy teams only)

- Not presented by Glaswegians that infest BBC Scotland 

56 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Actually that's made me realize why OTB was so good/refreshing when it first became a thing -

- Not presented by fans of one of the Big 2 (real Diddy teams only)

- Not presented by Glaswegians that infest BBC Scotland 

It was a different animal back in the early days. Easy to forget they used to (quite rightly) refer to Rangers as the **** on OTB, to no controversy.

The social media age has had a huge impact on the show, and the level of pandering to and excusing of the OF now basically mirrors that of the rest of BBC Scotland's football output.

I don't know if this has genuinely gotten worse or if I'm just more aware and critical of it now, but the quality of the guests is often desperately poor.  So many of them either know absolutely nothing about football and can't contribute at all to the one general topic that will always come up ("Oh, my dad was a big Celtic fan.  Yeah.") or are just their tedious media bubble mates with nothing interesting to say.  The nadir was an episode last season with Kenny MacIntyre, Kenny's brother and Ian McCall, most of the time spent talking about what a great guy Mr MacIntyre senior was, and McCall's getting married and it's just.. not interesting if you're not friends with these folk yourself. 

That or some hack regaling us with memories of all the "characters" who used to work at some tabloid in the 80s - but no actual stories, just "Oh and then there was big Jimmy Bollocks, mind him?" "Oh aye, great journalist was Jimmy.  Always had a witty one-liner." "And wee Stevie Turd who did the racing." "Oh aye, Stevie Turd!  I always remember the outrageous jacket he would wear."  "And medium-sized Calum Pish!"  "Yes, he who broke the story about Celtic signing some kid from St Johnston in 1984."  There's nothing very interesting about these people, so if you didn't know them yourself there's nothing interesting in hearing about them.  A lot of journalists seem to think that their proximity to interesting people and important events makes them interesting and important themselves, and it just doesn't.

Has the show been on long enough that they've just run out of interesting guests to have on?  What's the planning for this - "Oh, we need someone for next week, let's see if the boys from Gun are free to come on again"?

2 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I don't know if this has genuinely gotten worse or if I'm just more aware and critical of it now, but the quality of the guests is often desperately poor.  So many of them either know absolutely nothing about football and can't contribute at all to the one general topic that will always come up ("Oh, my dad was a big Celtic fan.  Yeah.") or are just their tedious media bubble mates with nothing interesting to say.  The nadir was an episode last season with Kenny MacIntyre, Kenny's brother and Ian McCall, most of the time spent talking about what a great guy Mr MacIntyre senior was, and McCall's getting married and it's just.. not interesting if you're not friends with these folk yourself. 

That or some hack regaling us with memories of all the "characters" who used to work at some tabloid in the 80s - but no actual stories, just "Oh and then there was big Jimmy Bollocks, mind him?" "Oh aye, great journalist was Jimmy.  Always had a witty one-liner." "And wee Stevie Turd who did the racing." "Oh aye, Stevie Turd!  I always remember the outrageous jacket he would wear."  "And medium-sized Calum Pish!"  "Yes, he who broke the story about Celtic signing some kid from St Johnston in 1984."  There's nothing very interesting about these people, so if you didn't know them yourself there's nothing interesting in hearing about them.  A lot of journalists seem to think that their proximity to interesting people and important events makes them interesting and important themselves, and it just doesn't.

Has the show been on long enough that they've just run out of interesting guests to have on?  What's the planning for this - "Oh, we need someone for next week, let's see if the boys from Gun are free to come on again"?

So if the nadir was sometime last season it’s on the way up now? I don’t think so. It flatlined a long time ago. It’s not ever, in its present format, going to resurrect itself. 

Much as I will savage Suzie McCabe's Celtic myopia, I did very much enjoy all 3 of them getting stuck in about all these sad virgins that obsess over xG.

Aside - McCabe mentioned she knee people doing Coaching Badges - do people now do them a bit like going and doing an NVQ in programming or welding with a view to getting into it?

11 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

In the groin?  Slightly harsh reaction to taking a few coaching lessons. 

To be fair, the levels of invecitive (which I fully support!) were definitely reaching into the violence area...