Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I caught ten minutes in the car earlier and once more seethed.

Cowan was trying to work out what the side that McClair scored against at Euro 92, was then called.  He knew it started with a 'C'.  CIS was obviously enough the answer but after exploring a couple of wrong answers with whoever this week's cretin was, Tam plumped for CCCP, the letters used to denote the Soviet Union, in that country, and which adorned their shirts for decades.  How can a bloke of his age who follows football, not know this stuff?

And any intellectual bore such as me knows it is the Cyrillic alphabet and CCCP is actually the letters SSSR

21 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

That playwright was awful. I'll bet his Celtic play is as tedious and unfunny as him.

I missed the show yesterday, but is that the guy who wrote 'Celtic the Musical' and has been one a few times in the last few months?  If it is, his last appearances were cringefests as well.  Easily the smuggest, most condescending guest they've ever had on.  I remember one episode where his story ended with the punchline "The east end of GLAAASSSSGAAA!" and I've never cringed so hard.

39 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I missed the show yesterday, but is that the guy who wrote 'Celtic the Musical' and has been one a few times in the last few months?  If it is, his last appearances were cringefests as well.  Easily the smuggest, most condescending guest they've ever had on.  I remember one episode where his story ended with the punchline "The east end of GLAAASSSSGAAA!" and I've never cringed so hard.

Aye, that's him.

You should have heard him trying to come up with names for their team of the day. He couldn't get the concept of it, f**k knows how he makes a living from being creative.

4 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Aye, that's him.

You should have heard him trying to come up with names for their team of the day. He couldn't get the concept of it, f**k knows how he makes a living from being creative.

Don't tell me, they were all Celtic related?

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I don't think he's involved in 'Celtic - the Musical'. If my iTunes is any guide, the last time he was on was April of last year.

I thought he was okay on the show. I think Tam just enjoyed winding him up.

On 9/22/2018 at 13:03, NJ2 said:

Wouldn’t mind it if Ray replaces Stuart on a weekly basis.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Who was the guy Ray that was co-hosting? He seemed ok for the short while I heard it although he did, um, say, um, "um", quite a lot of the, um, time.

Astonished by these posts, to be honest. It was one of the worst things I've ever heard.

No idea who thought he'd be right for it. Just a bad fit.

Poor choice of guests on both shows too. The guy who wrote plays was toe-curlingly bad and the guy in the second show who has written the book was basically just a Celtic fan with a neddy voice and nothing to say. Given a freebie question about Celtic it was excruciating listen to his "eeeh, I don't really know, n'at, ye'know, n'at" answer that took about five minutes.

And where on earth did Tam McManus's Gazza bulimia reference come from? Talk about a change of gears!

Whoever did the booking for yesterday needs their jotters. I'm generally positive about the show, but yesterday was as bad as it can be without Archie McPherson being on it.

Edited by JTS98

Who was the guy Ray that was co-hosting? He seemed ok for the short while I heard it although he did, um, say, um, "um", quite a lot of the, um, time.

Ray Bradshaw. Comedian and Jags fan.
Astonished by these posts, to be honest. It was one of the worst things I've ever heard.
Poor choice of guests on both shows too. The guy who wrote plays was toe-curlingly bad and the guy in the second show who has written the book was basically just a Celtic fan with a neddy voice and nothing to say. Given a freebie question about Celtic it was excruciating listen to his "eeeh, I don't really know, n'at, ye'know, n'at" answer that took about five minutes.
And where on earth did Tam McManus's Gazza bulimia reference come from? Talk about a change of gears!
Whoever did the booking for yesterday needs their jotters. I'm generally positive about the show, but yesterday was as bad as it can be without Archie McPherson being on it.

I never listened to the evening show so can’t comment. Thought the early show was better than last week when you were on it, Stuart.

On 22/09/2018 at 15:27, bennett said:

Imagine forgetting something after around 26 years, outrageous stuff from Tam.

You are such a negative poster on here. You only ever seem to chip in with your attempts at amusing put downs without ever offering anything positive or insightful. The worst of it is that you keep saying that you never listen to any Scottish football stuff on BBC Scotland, but you seem to be an expert on Michael Stewart and Tom English in particular, two of the best contributors on Sportsound, and have little digs at them all of the time because they don’t pander to your team. I always like how you refer to Tom English as “Thomas”, as if it’s some kind of derogatory term.

17 hours ago, JTS98 said:

It really was dreadful.  For a supposed comedian, he really doesn't have a good broadcasting voice at all - just incredibly stilted, as if he was reading everything off a script.  Which he was.  I genuinely thought he was one of those Twitter blokes who do a podcast.

The worst part was the "incredible insights" into the Lithuanian era at Hearts, which were basically just laughing at Johnny Foreigner not being able to speak good English.

I like Ray Bradshaw on soccer fm but off the ball needs tam and stuart. Download the podcast every week and listen to it in work at night. Better football podcasts out there but worse as well

The argument for it needing Stuart and Tam is fair, soccer am really hasn’t faired well in comparison to the days of Tim and Helen. The way Stuart speaks annoys me though.

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It really was dreadful.  For a supposed comedian, (1)he really doesn't have a good broadcasting voice at all - just incredibly stilted, as if he was reading everything off a script.  Which he was.  I genuinely thought he was one of those Twitter blokes who do a podcast.

(2)The worst part was the "incredible insights" into the Lithuanian era at Hearts, which were basically just laughing at Johnny Foreigner not being able to speak good English.

1. True.

As a solidly middle-class individual myself, I think it's ok for me to say that he just sounded like your classic West End studenty type let loose on the wrong show.

He also completely lacked tact. It was quite obvious when the producer prompted him to ask a question, because he just leapt all over whatever was being discussed at the time.

A genuinely baffling choice of host. Perhaps he's a good comedian, I've got no idea, but he's not an OTB host.

2. This really frustrated me.

There is a really good interview to be done with someone like Charlie Mann on what it was like being involved with Romanov. I think for all who remember that era in Scottish football that would be a genuinely good listen. Some of Michael Stewart's stories about it on the Monday Night Fitba Show (find it on youtube) were really interesting. The BBC could easily do a different slant on that with Charlie Mann, but this wasn't the vehicle for it.

Edited by JTS98

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You are such a negative poster on here. You only ever seem to chip in with your attempts at amusing put downs without ever offering anything positive or insightful. The worst of it is that you keep saying that you never listen to any Scottish football stuff on BBC Scotland, but you seem to be an expert on Michael Stewart and Tom English in particular, two of the best contributors on Sportsound, and have little digs at them all of the time because they don’t pander to your team. I always like how you refer to Tom English as “Thomas”, as if it’s some kind of derogatory term.

Im usually fairly positive, a bit bemused by your negativity comments just for not jumping on the anti Tam Cowan bandwagon.

You seem to have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about me.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Im usually fairly positive, a bit bemused by your negativity comments just for not jumping on the anti Tam Cowan bandwagon.

You seem to have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about me.

To be fair he makes reasonable points, you do, mainly talk utter pish on here.