Scotland squad for Next month

I’d like to see Liam Henderson, Jack Harper and David Bates in and around a squad should they keep playing regularly and well for their respective clubs. Echo the sentiments about McKenna and McBurnie. Get Mulgrew tae f**k.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not as down on Mulgrew as others; he generally did well when he played in the last campaign under Strachan, and he is an experienced and fairly safe option to have around the squad. I think Souttar, McKenna and Tierney is the way forward as the back three as long as they continue on their current trajectories, though. 

2 hours ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Glenn Middleston  (Rangers)

Mikey Johnston (Celtic)

Billy Gilmour (Chelsea)

Fraser Hornby (Everton)

After watching the U21,s in their last 2 games , i would definitely gamble  on Hornby ..He played well both games and scored  some good goals ..Doubt he would  get a call in front of who we have at the moment though , but defo worth keeping an eye on..

After watching the U21,s in their last 2 games , i would definitely gamble  on Hornby ..He played well both games and scored  some good goals ..Doubt he would  get a call in front of who we have at the moment though , but defo worth keeping an eye on..

Potential worth calling up and capping competitively as a precaution.

11 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Totally agree we are too conservative generally. Yes we brought in Tierney, Robertson etc when they are teenagers but there was little risk involved with either of them - they were clearly going to cut it at that level. TBH, I would applaud calling up say Harper and someone like St Clair and maybe even Hornby to augment the usual squad - even if just to 'come along for the ride'*, but with a chance of standing out in training and maybe breaking in early like Ampadu and Woodburn for Wales. I just doubt very much we would do that.

*Strachan did that a few times early on but unfortunately didn't keep it up.

Wales have the benefit of a huge Gareth Bale shaped safety net that allows them to experiment. 

9 hours ago, GiGi said:

Dylan McGeouch should never even get a look in unless we have about 8 players ahead of him injured. Likewise Rhodes. 

Burke will come good eventually I'm sure.

Dylan McGeouch is a better player than Kevin McDonald or Ryan Jack.

Probably get shot down for this, and it'll never happen as he's at the wrong club.  However, if Tony Watt continues his form throughout the next month scoring regularly, (especially with the run of games Saints have, Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic, Hearts then Celtic again) surely he would be worth a wildcard shout against a lesser International team like Israel?

Never happen though 

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Wonder why the better player is in league one, whilst the other is starting games in the premiership then!

For me you need to look passed the club and the level the player is playing at and just look at the individual talent and the ability that the player has.

Probably get shot down for this, and it'll never happen as he's at the wrong club.  However, if Tony Watt continues his form throughout the next month scoring regularly, (especially with the run of games Saints have, Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic, Hearts then Celtic again) surely he would be worth a wildcard shout against a lesser International team like Israel?
Never happen though 

Most important word in that post is “if”. Seems to me Watt has had a few false dawns before coming of the rails again.

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Wonder why the better player is in league one, whilst the other is starting games in the premiership then!

McDonalds about five years older and hasn't had any serious injuries recently. 

When McDonald was McGeoughs age, he'd just completed a season in League One. 

There's too many folk in the squad in their mid 20s with less than ten caps to their name. At a time they should be experienced internationals they're still only picking up the odd cap here and there and usually in friendlies. Instead of chucking in untested players look at the pool of about 30 players who've been around the squad for a while (Shinnie, McGregor, Cooper, McLean, etc.) and build strong base of a squad out of them. If someone like Hornby or Gilmour forces their way in before then all the better but it'd be to their benefit in the long term to have them come into a settled squad with some continuity than having the weight of the world on their shoulders now.

5 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

McDonalds about five years older and hasn't had any serious injuries recently. 

When McDonald was McGeoughs age, he'd just completed a season in League One. 

There's also the consideration that certain players fit into the team far better than others, often despite of the level they play at.

There's various examples of guys playing well in the Premier League or for top-of-the-table Championship sides, who you'd expect to shoe-ins for the squad but in the end they prove to be no better and sometimes worse fits for the team than those who are playing at a lower level. McDonald might be playing well at a higher level, but his lack of pace and pedestrian style of play many would argue just doesn't fit into the team. For other examples see Darren Fletcher (the past 2/3 years anyway), Matt Ritchie and if I'm being harsh maybe McArthur as well.

17 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not as down on Mulgrew as others; he generally did well when he played in the last campaign under Strachan, and he is an experienced and fairly safe option to have around the squad. I think Souttar, McKenna and Tierney is the way forward as the back three as long as they continue on their current trajectories, though. 

I think Mulgrew is quite necessary to the style we are adopting under McLeish. We're trying to play at quite a fast pace and he's the one player at the back who can identify where to hammer a ball into space to put us on the front foot rather than an extra pass. It's the sort of skill that is only really noticeable when it isn't there and I think we'd have to change how we play if he is out.

The three players you mentioned are all decent footballers as well and I think they could do that role but Mulgrew does have that extra experience which I do think makes a difference in distribution. Hopefully, McKenna comes back strong and Hendry returns to a bit of form and then we'll look decent enough with our defensive options.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

True - a massive, annoying, monkey-shaped safety net. We need a Scottish Bale...

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for oliver burke

Jack Harper is new Bale

Souttar is new Stones

We need new Scottish Maguire, ,Kane, Brook, Woodburn, Wilson, Ampadu (Wales and England) with good football

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

True - a massive, annoying, monkey-shaped safety net. We need a Scottish Bale...

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for oliver burke

I'd thought we had agreed that Burke was our "Bale", solely on the basis that he looks like a monkey???

Archived