Scotland squad for Next month

Did there not used to be rule in place that if a player pulled out of an International Squad through injury he was then barred from playing in his Club's next fixture, or did I just dream that???
Have to admit that Fraser's miraculous recovery from the severe hamstring injury that was bad enough to force him to pull out of last Monday's Scotland game but be fit four days later for Bournemouth's next EPL fixture has got me thinking that such a rule, if it ever existed, should be reinstated, at the very least it will stop players from taking the piss!!!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Did there not used to be rule in place that if a player pulled out of an International Squad through injury he was then barred from playing in his Club's next fixture, or did I just dream that???
Have to admit that Fraser's miraculous recovery from the severe hamstring injury that was bad enough to force him to pull out of last Monday's Scotland game but be fit four days later for Bournemouth's next EPL fixture has got me thinking that such a rule, if it ever existed, should be reinstated, at the very least it will stop players from taking the piss!!!

Its a four day rule including day of the game. I think its a tad unfair singling Fraser out given he played in the friendly so I doubt he would play then claim injury for a competitive game.

Its a four day rule including day of the game. I think its a tad unfair singling Fraser out given he played in the friendly so I doubt he would play then claim injury for a competitive game.

Your correct, I could have said McBurnie or Phillips but it's the fact that Fraser played in one of the games and then pulled out and then played for his Club that makes his case more infuriating, at least the other two had the excuse of saying they had received nearly a fortnight a worth of treatment to get match ready!!!

There are definitely some occasions where players have pulled out for convenience rather than a genuine injury, but that doesn't mean every single player does it. It's possible to get a small knock which rules you out for a game on the Monday, but still be fit by Saturday.

Armstrong not in the Southampton squad for the second game in a row. After starting the first game he's only had around 10 mins total in the league as a sub since. Started the league cup game a few weeks ago, so that might be the only time he gets starts for a while.

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

Armstrong not in the Southampton squad for the second game in a row. After starting the first game he's only had around 10 mins total in the league as a sub since. Started the league cup game a few weeks ago, so that might be the only time he gets starts for a while.

I was actually just going to see if anyone knew why, has he maybe picked up an injury? It seems strange otherwise considering his involvement in all the pre-season games then the start of the league. Plus by the reports was playing well (I've not seen any of the games)

6 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I was actually just going to see if anyone knew why, has he maybe picked up an injury? It seems strange otherwise considering his involvement in all the pre-season games then the start of the league. Plus by the reports was playing well (I've not seen any of the games)

Don't think he's injured. I had a quick search before posting in case I was talking mince.

Looks like same lineup for 3 league games in a row for Southampton, so settled team probably. That doesn't explain why he's not in the squad though.

20 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It seems that Hughes has just dropped Armstrong as there have been no reports of an injury. He started in the EFL cup win against Brighton but was then left out of the squad. Hughes clearly prefers Elyounoussi having switched to a 4-4-2 formation.

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

Don't think he's injured. I had a quick search before posting in case I was talking mince.

Looks like same lineup for 3 league games in a row for Southampton, so settled team probably. That doesn't explain why he's not in the squad though.

Was hoping someone would say he was injured.

Doesn't bode well for him this season then, which is a surprise. To me anyway

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I always felt that Armstrong lacked the physical presence to play in that league, but writing him off now because he hasn't played a lot in the first five games of the season seems a bit much.

He's easily one of the most suited Scottish players physically to play in that league

On 16/09/2018 at 00:16, Binos said:

MacLeod, Mackay

Both should be in contention

We actually have a massive amount of midfielders at a reasonable level

Fleck is a key player at Sheffield United who missed him at the weekend. He's due back from injury soon. Definitely worth considering with MacLeod.

Brentford's Josh McEachran is eligible for Scotland too. Plenty of midfield options available to McLeish.

On 17/09/2018 at 19:49, King Kebab said:

Your correct, I could have said McBurnie or Phillips but it's the fact that Fraser played in one of the games and then pulled out and then played for his Club that makes his case more infuriating, at least the other two had the excuse of saying they had received nearly a fortnight a worth of treatment to get match ready!!!

Tbf to McBurnie its been constantly mentioned he's been playing with an injury for Swansea this season, but they've so little options up front he has to play for them. They dropped him from the starting lineup last night to try and help him recover

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf to McBurnie its been constantly mentioned he's been playing with an injury for Swansea this season, but they've so little options up front he has to play for them. They dropped him from the starting lineup last night to try and help him recover

Was just going to mention that - is it confirmed that they dropped him for recovery or just gossip?

5 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Liam Cooper has been in fine form for a team doing really well at the minute and we're still persisting with Charlie Mulgrew. Other than that I see no need to change things, didn't miss McArthur or Morrison or any of the more established.

How do you know Cooper hasn't rejected call ups? 

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Was just going to mention that - is it confirmed that they dropped him for recovery or just gossip?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-boss-graham-potter-15073695.amp

Archived