Scotland squad for Next month

Pretty much as expected.

Cairney and Ritchie? Pfft!

Not sure Johnny Russell is the best pick - would rather choose a wildcard young prospect. Naismith and Griffiths are experienced enough in the striking dept.

Overall quite satisfied with that.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McLeish on Cairney

"We contacted Fulham and we were told he wouldn’t be available.

He only played 20 minutes and it’s nothing sinister.

Whenever Tom is in the squad he’s integrated with the squad brilliantly.

We would expect him to prolong his Scottish career."

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Pretty much as expected.

Cairney and Ritchie? Pfft!

Not sure Johnny Russell is the best pick - would rather choose a wildcard young prospect. Naismith and Griffiths are experienced enough in the striking dept.

Overall quite satisfied with that.

Agreed, it's just about as strong as we can make it.

Hendry apparently had a good game for Celtic on Saturday, and has played fairly well in all of his games for Scotland so far. He definitely should be behind the three who played the last time and also McKenna in the pecking order, but he's still fairly young so I don't see any issues with having him in the squad. If his form for Celtic doesn't pick up, and the likes of Halkett, Findlay and others who are roughly the same age keep playing well in the Premiership, then that's when you might see him dropping out.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Hendry apparently had a good game for Celtic on Saturday, and has played fairly well in all of his games for Scotland so far. He definitely should be behind the three who played the last time and also McKenna in the pecking order, but he's still fairly young so I don't see any issues with having him in the squad. If his form for Celtic doesn't pick up, and the likes of Halkett, Findlay and others who are roughly the same age keep playing well in the Premiership, then that's when you might see him dropping out.

Yip. 

24 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Just a thought - is Matt Phillips actually injured? Google suggests he has a small knock but should be good for WBA's next game. Not that I think he's a huge loss tbh

He wasn't in their last squad, so I assume it's more than a small knock.

Nothing against McLaughlin, who's a decent keeper, but I sometimes wonder what the point is in bringing in guys of his age as third choice keepers. They're not gonna get much (any) game time. With outfield players then, fair enough, as a young player who could come into the squad for a feel of international football would be better suited staying with the U21s and playing but keepers have longer careers so why not let, I dunno, Jack Hamilton, Zander Clark or one of the younger (for a keeper) players get in amongst it? If Gordon/McGregor get injured then bring McLaughlin in. He's played about 400 league games so should be experienced enough to handle being chucked in at the deep end.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Hendry is a class player going through (hopefully gone through it now) a confidence crisis. Rightly in the squad IMO. You could argue that he's looked as good if not better than McKenna in his 2 caps so far. I remember him sweeping up a Mulgrew mistake in Hungary with a burst of pace and a clinical tackle, and he looked really assured throughout. For me, that's the real Hendry. Obviously if his club form bombs completely and permanently then certainly - let the likes of Findlay or Porteus or whoever is at the top of their game have a shot instead.

P.S. still finding it really refreshing that we can propose some of the better non-OF SPFL Prem players as callup candidates and feel like they are realistic shouts. A year or so ago the idea of Hibs, Killie or Hearts (Berra being an exception) players breaking in was really unlikely.

9 minutes ago, Eoin Doyle said:

Martin Boyle not being included in the squad is ridiculous. 

Aye and naw. He's looked impressive every time I've  seen him over the last year. Does he deserve a place ahead of Fraser and Forrest? Debatable. Does he deserves a place alongside them? Probably, and we don't have any other natural wingers in the squad for cover. I find the whole knicker flashing Australia thing a bit distasteful though - tho I'm not entirely sure whose kinckers are being flashed. 

I think if Aus's upcoming game wasn't a friendly (thus not committing him to the Socceroos) it might have been different.

1 hour ago, Briannmataxi said:

Boyle isn't good enough for international football. Neither is Forrest. Was shocked to see callum McGregor only has 5 caps. Thought he had more than that.

Forrest hasn't done it yet international level and that's really poor after 20  odd caps, but he's one of Celtic's and thus the SPFL Prem's better players and thus he *should* be capable at international level. I get the frustration but we're not in a place where we can afford to say 'he's had his chance'

Boyle's not good enough? Not disagreeing but just like to know why not? O'Donnell is and he's arguably operating for a less impressive team at the same level.

And if we drop Forrest and don't pick Boyle, who would you have in their place?

Lets have some fun then. Gonna throw together a team. Doesn't really matter which way you line them up as the defence is trash no matter what.

McGregor

O'Donnell    Hendry     Mulgrew    Robertson

Forrest        McGinn      McTominay   Fraser

Naismith

Griffiths

Nothing against McLaughlin, who's a decent keeper, but I sometimes wonder what the point is in bringing in guys of his age as third choice keepers. They're not gonna get much (any) game time. With outfield players then, fair enough, as a young player who could come into the squad for a feel of international football would be better suited staying with the U21s and playing but keepers have longer careers so why not let, I dunno, Jack Hamilton, Zander Clark or one of the younger (for a keeper) players get in amongst it? If Gordon/McGregor get injured then bring McLaughlin in. He's played about 400 league games so should be experienced enough to handle being chucked in at the deep end.

Jack Hamilton is an absolutely terrible goal keeper so that’s why he can’t get a look in.

Archived