Scotland squad for Next month

No Liam Lindsay, seething, burn down Hampden, disband the National Team etc etc

Largely expected squad, fairly unsurprising.  Just needs to be good enough to beat Israel and then we can go and lose 12-0 to Portugal for all I care.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, forameus said:

No Liam Lyndsay,,serthing, burn down Hampden, disband the National Team etc etc

Largely expected squad, fairly unsurprising.  Just needs to be good enough to beat Israel and then we can go and lose 12-0 to Portugal for all I care.

Insurance job

Pity the issue is re Cairney (if there is one) and not McDonald. McDonald is unbelievably pedestrian. I am not saying he does not have attributes but the way we seem to be set up to play under McLeish, McDonald's lack of pace and lack of speed of thought sticks out like a sore thumb. Also those equating international class to playing in the EPL, just need to have a look at someone like McDonald. I am probably being over-critical but my heart would sink if I saw him again in a Scotland starting line up. 

Name the players who only earned (or have to date earned) just one cap for Scotland;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45704508

I got 4 on my first attempt;

Peter Canero, Charlie Miller, Warren Cummings and Paul Gallacher

Some of the names are mind blowingly shit but there are a few that are surprising in that they haven't got more caps. What's worse is the utter dross that have more than 1 cap (yes Gary Kenneth, Andy Gray*, Paul Devlin, Gareth Williams, Robbie Stockdale, Maurice Ross et al I'm looking at you).

*The shite one, not the one who became a commentator

42 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Pity the issue is re Cairney (if there is one) and not McDonald. McDonald is unbelievably pedestrian. I am not saying he does not have attributes but the way we seem to be set up to play under McLeish, McDonald's lack of pace and lack of speed of thought sticks out like a sore thumb. Also those equating international class to playing in the EPL, just need to have a look at someone like McDonald. I am probably being over-critical but my heart would sink if I saw him again in a Scotland starting line up. 

McDonald will play in one, if not both, of the games. 

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Name the players who only earned (or have to date earned) just one cap for Scotland;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45704508

I got 4 on my first attempt;

Reveal hidden contents

Peter Canero, Charlie Miller, Warren Cummings and Paul Gallacher

Some of the names are mind blowingly shit but there are a few that are surprising in that they haven't got more caps. What's worse is the utter dross that have more than 1 cap (yes Gary Kenneth, Andy Gray*, Paul Devlin, Gareth Williams, Robbie Stockdale, Maurice Ross et al I'm looking at you).

*The shite one, not the one who became a commentator

Lewis stevenson not in there for some reason? Is it only retired pros?

5 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Lewis stevenson not in there for some reason? Is it only retired pros?

Scratch that last reply.

It states that it doesn't include players in the current or last squads, which is why he isn't on the list.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

I agree about McDonald. I didn't expect to see him again after his lumbering performance against Costa Rica, but he was picked against Belgium and Albania and it was more of the same. Hopefully he can find his feet and become a player for us, but I have my doubts. I'd rather see McGinn, McGregor and Armstrong in the middle, and if we need a big unit then I'd rather have McTominay who at least has time to improve.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I agree about McDonald. I didn't expect to see him again after his lumbering performance against Costa Rica, but he was picked against Belgium and Albania and it was more of the same. Hopefully he can find his feet and become a player for us, but I have my doubts. I'd rather see McGinn, McGregor and Armstrong in the middle, and if we need a big unit then I'd rather have McTominay who at least has time to improve.

Has McTominay even played a game for Man Utd yet?? Better with Lewis Morgan or Ryan Jack or even Halliday!

46 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Has McTominay even played a game for Man Utd yet?? Better with Lewis Morgan or Ryan Jack or even Halliday!

He played the right sided CB of a back 3 against West Ham on Saturday. I didn't see much of the game but from what I've read he wasn't great. Not that it's necessarily his fault, he shouldn't be playing in that position in the first place.

If he had more game time (kinda wish he was on loan somewhere) and McLeish had gave him some experience against the likes of Belgium, I would probably have him as the starter in the middle of midfield. He's played well there at times for Man U. Throwing him in the deep end against Israel might not be a great idea.

I was wondering where this Martin Boyle chat has come from but a quick google has shown that we're now entering an "International game of tug of war" over him with Australia. Boyle is hardly the worst player available but what am I missing here?  Let him go and play for them if he wants, he's not better than what we have already.

Guest DAVIDB69
He played the right sided CB of a back 3 against West Ham on Saturday. I didn't see much of the game but from what I've read he wasn't great. Not that it's necessarily his fault, he shouldn't be playing in that position in the first place.
If he had more game time (kinda wish he was on loan somewhere) and McLeish had gave him some experience against the likes of Belgium, I would probably have him as the starter in the middle of midfield. He's played well there at times for Man U. Throwing him in the deep end against Israel might not be a great idea.

Don’t think mctominay has shown an awful lot so far we have to stay away from players not playing club football

19 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Don’t think mctominay has shown an awful lot so far we have to stay away from players not playing club football

yep and also avoid picking players who have "done a job for us in the past" and players from whom you "know what you are getting". This is largely (c) to Paw Broon but was also an ethos of Strachan, particularly if said player happened to be playing in the English Championship.......

Cairney withdraws from last squad and not available for selection for this one!!!
Incoming allegations of "tapping up" from Southgate as he's called up to England's next Nation's League squad given a 5 minute run out at the end of the game and never selected again!!!

Cairney withdraws from last squad and not available for selection for this one!!!

Incoming allegations of "tapping up" from Southgate as he's called up to England's next Nation's League squad given a 5 minute run out at the end of the game and never selected again!!!

He’s no loss imo. If he wants to do that he can be my guest.

Barry Bannan and John Fleck should both be in the squad and one of the 2 should be starting at least. Both better than McGinn and Bannan’s stats are consistently the best in the Championship for his position.

Also Liam Cooper should be in the squad and if Tierney is play as a left centre back then why isn’t Barry Douglas in the team as back up to Robbo?

A shame about Cairney, really hope he gets capped. Paterson is another who should be in there.

If every Scotland player was available I would go with
McGregor
O’Donnell, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson
Fleck, Bannan
Forrest, Cairney, Fraser
McBurnie

Barry Bannan has 27 caps for Scotland, and has never been anything above average in any of them. McGinn is a more dynamic and more talented player, and is quite rightly being picked ahead of him.

The fact that the likes of Bannan and Fleck (and McDonald and Cairney last season) stand out as great midfielders in the Championship says more about that league than it does about them as players.

Archived