Anyone stopped drinking for 6 months/a year

Ylf

I'm an every night guy,  and have been for the past 15 years or more.  I drink 3 bottles of beer after I finish work from Monday to Thursday, a couple more on Fridays and 7 or 8 on Saturdays and Sundays.  I don't get a hangover so don't think i'm pushing it.  I reckon it's healthier to have a little spread over the week than batter it at the weekend only.  

I like it and have no plan to stop it. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I genuinely never realised that so many folk drank every day of the week. Mental stuff.

I'm not even talking about jakeballs who get pissed up every day, just folk who have a couple of beers or glasses of wine every day, as well as getting a bit smashed at the weekend.

Is it that mental? I quite enjoy sometimes having a beer with my dinner or if there's football on I'll maybe crack a bottle. I wouldn't drink every day but I don't see having a beer every day as any worse than having say a can of coke or the like every day.

Aye but you can do that without alcohol surely. Go karting, for example. That's an expensive example, but it proves the point that alcohol isn't fundamental to having a laugh with your pals. Do you not enjoy watching Hearts without a drink?

I wouldn’t enjoy go karting? And there’s no way I’d be able to get a group of mates together to do an activity, meeting down the pub though? Not a hard sell. Tonight, for example, I can go home after work and sit in the house myself (go for a run or whatever but I’ve done that the last two nights) and not see anyone until work tomorrow or I can go to the pub for a couple of pints, have a gid blether with a few pals, then head up the road.
I couldn’t tell you the last football game I went to sober. I don’t get to the football a lot, and the pub and after is as much as an attraction as the game - admittedly this season so far is different but I’ve not been to a league game yet this season.

I don't drink much at all these days. Used to drink at least 5 nights a week and be pretty drunk most of these. Don't drink in the house at all now and only have a drink when I'm out which is rare. It does get annoying when people ask "are you not having a drink?" Constantly, but I don't think I need a drink to enjoy myself.
I do have a mate who I reckon is a borderline alcoholic, i grew up and stopped drinking every day but he seems to have a cider for breakfast lunch and dinner, he's piled the weight on and looks like crap. I'm glad I stopped when I did!

Gave up for a year when I was working in Libya.  I had no difficulty whatsoever.  And got a lot healthier as a result. If I had any sense I'd have quit for good there and then.   But I'm not going to say it's not a heck of a lot harder for others.  

50 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

Ive not had a drink since March 10th. My situations a bit different though as Im an alcoholic and this is my first proper attempt to get off it. Went from being a heavy drinker in my late teens through to a problem drinker in my early-mid 20s to a full on jakeball the last couple of years. 

The hardest bit for me is not being able to go certain places. I know my limitations and I cant sit in pubs all day or get the supporters bus to away games. I dont think I would drink straight away if I did those things but complacency would gradually set in and I just wouldnt enjoy being in those places without a booze.  So Ive had to change my whole life basically.  

Its all about finding other things you can do. Ive rekindled my interest in a lot of things that I stopped doing when the booze took over and Im currently getting tore into a Masters Degree (excuse no to have to work for a year). 

And before any c**t says it the apostrophe button is indeed broke on there shitey UWS computers. 

All the best to you for that.   Can't say I can offer any advice, but  I drank far more in my teens than I do now.  For one thing, I can't take hangovers anymore.  One of the worst things, even when you do drink, in life is going to the pub and drinking coke when the rest of your mates are slowly and jovially getting sloshed.  

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Usually two or three shots whilst waiting for a pint. Bottles of red wine. Soon mounts up! 

I realise the cost would mount up. Unless you were on something else. I would collapse before drinking £250.00 worth, even at the height of my alcohol tolerance.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I realise the cost would mount up. Unless you were on something else. I would collapse before drinking £250.00 worth, even at the height of my alcohol tolerance.

Maybe a bag of chips on the way home too. Edinburgh prices too. 

Just trying to have more frequent dry spells, and stretching them a little longer each time. Setting a date in the calendar to aim for, the next weekend away, or a birthday do for example.
No real reason other than just trying to be a bit more healthy. Much more likely to feel like doing some exercise, a swim or cycle perhaps when not feeling shite after a full weekend on the bevvy.
Feel much better for it, and for a decent regular nights sleep.
Still go to the pub on most match days, but just offer to be the one driving. It honestly hasn’t made any difference to enjoying the trip or not.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

I’ve been overdoing it since my 18 th birthday in September 2004 and not showing any signs of slowing down.

Seen this and you immediately came to mind.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/edinburgh-pub-is-our-favourite-say-family-that-has-visited-every-wetherspoons-in-uk-1-4805584

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

The hardest bit for me is not being able to go certain places. I know my limitations and I cant sit in pubs all day or get the supporters bus to away games. I dont think I would drink straight away if I did those things but complacency would gradually set in and I just wouldnt enjoy being in those places without a booze.  So Ive had to change my whole life basically.  

Its all about finding other things you can do. Ive rekindled my interest in a lot of things that I stopped doing when the booze took over and Im currently getting tore into a Masters Degree (excuse no to have to work for a year).

"Dry friends and dry places" is the SD mantra for the early days. Good on ya for being sober! Hope to join you one day matey.

4 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Used to stop regularly when deployed  sent to Saudi Arabia. Didn't bother me at all. That could be up to six months. Each time. 

Also stay dry from new year until my fist race meeting every year so until mid March usually.  Seem to manage ok. 

Don't drink nearly as much as I used to anyways. That's a good thing. 

FTFY You aren't a strategic bomber and you've only just finished your exams.

Edited by welshbairn