Anyone stopped drinking for 6 months/a year

Ylf

I know I drink too much, I pretty much hammer it from getting in on a Friday until going to bed on Sunday but I don't feel it affects my health, relationships or work so I'm not too concerned.

I'm 36 now so my drinking habits have changed. Long gone are the three day sessions, I'm not a big fan of going out in a Friday so just stay in with a few cans and the tv, Saturday it's football which means beers before and after (normally leave the pub around 10pm whereas previously it would be about 1am) and Sundays are just a day relaxing with a few beers and the football on the tv.

I'm not married and have no kids but if the time comes them I'll cut right down or chuck it all together. Could I do it? Probably, would I miss it? Definitely.

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

A9MwqFT.gif

Fair point :lol:

What I really meant was going out on a Friday straight from work to the pub then  on to a nightclub then back up drinking again all day and night Saturday followed by pub again Sunday. I can still drink for three days in a row,  I just need to be in bed for a reasonable time.

I started drinking pretty young, around 15, and by the time I went to pubs I was already bored of it. I preferred nightclubs and raves more and would often get smashed then take pills which meant the entire weekend was a f**k up. I did this for years then just thought one day i  would like to go to work on a Monday and not feel ill. Started going to the gym and stopped drinking and smoking. To do this I had to stay clear of a circle of mates who ultimately I lost contact with but I'd rather that than go through that hell again.

Have gone back to drinking sometimes but I usually drink maybe one or two single malts slowly with a beer and genuinely enjoy it much like having something different to drink. I don't really see the point of drinking to get smashed anymore but I'm worried that the temptation is still there. A few years back on a works night out I did go fully mad for it with a free bar and ended up by myself in a nightclub then walking about in the snow in Edinburgh lost followed by a taxi home and spewing all over myself.

The macho drinking culture in Scotland and the uk needs to gtf. There's nothing big about it and I'm glad youngsters are drinking less now. 

Really wouldn't miss it at all if it stopped completely but I'm happy with the current situation. Will probably not drink at all next spring as that's when I tend to up the fitness stuff.

Would be good to have a thread for people staying off it.

I done a whole month of the booze last year just too prove to myself I could manage it really but I definitely did miss it, that's probably the longest I've went since I've been in my teams. Totally different drinker now though, back then I'd drink Thursday - Sunday every week and spend most of my wage on it, now it's 5/6 pints on one or 2 of my days off or a few cans watching a film with the Mrs. I'm probably only drunk a handful of times a year for actual events nowadays.

I've cut down quite dramatically over the last ten years, but never actually stopped for any length of time. Was at a works doo on Friday and drank far too much which led to a massive dose of the Fear last weekend. First time I've had this for years and I fucking hated it. Needless to say all was perfectly fine when I returned to work on Monday but the feeling I had means I will try and avoid binges in future. I still enjoy 2-3 beers in house or max 4 at pub on a Saturday but think I will try and give it up totally during November and see how I go.

Mate of mine was certainly a borderline alcoholic.   He'd opened up to me about his drinking, tucking away 200 units most weeks, although he hid it very well.    

6 months after our chat he'd passed the UK driving test, bought a 5-dr Ford Focus, and had joined Dunkeld and Birnam  GC.    As part of his rehabilitation he booked morning Tee off times to keep the wolf from the door in the evenings.    We're now a full year since his confessional and he went back on the bottle and is dead.    The GC are still pursuing him after we cancelled his SO post-cremation.   Bit nasty imo .     

Edited by The new Kia Ceed

I could quite easily drink every night of the week tbh, but manage to stay dry during Sunday to Thursday. Friday and Saturday nights I like a beer at home, but not till after 9pm. Haven’t been in a local pub this year, but like a jaunt away for the day every now and then. Never feel any worse for wear in the morning, so f**k it, no intentions of giving it up. I’ve gave food and fags up, the drink stays though 

Mate of mine was certainly a borderline alcoholic.   He'd opened up to me about his drinking, tucking away 200 units most weeks, although he hid it very well.    

6 months after our chat he'd passed the UK driving test, bought a 5-dr Ford Focus, and had joined Dunkeld and Birnam  GC.    As part of his rehabilitation he booked morning Tee off times to keep the wolf from the door in the evenings.    We're now a full year since his confessional and he went back on the bottle and is dead.    The GC are still pursuing him after we cancelled his SO post-cremation.   Bit nasty imo .     

That's shocking behaviour from the Perthshire golfing fraternity

1 minute ago, heedthebaa said:

I could quite easily drink every night of the week tbh, but manage to stay dry during Sunday to Thursday. Friday and Saturday nights I like a beer at home, but not till after 9pm. Haven’t been in a local pub this year, but like a jaunt away for the day every now and then. Never feel any worse for wear in the morning, so f**k it, no intentions of giving it up. I’ve gave food and fags up, the drink stays though 

What's your local?   

32 minutes ago, The new Kia Ceed said:

kAlWHez.gif

I feel like you’ve met your friend down some tbh.
I hope he’s at peace.
I’m glad (hope) all your posts are utter nonsense.

Getting pished is over rated. 

I have not been able to drink in 2 years due to my health issue. 

I was like you @Ylf , worked rotation for a lot of years and got hammered on my 4 weeks at home, found myself in some bad situations.

I did cut back a lot before I got ill and I don't miss it one bit. I have better health and more money. Although I do have to sit at Dens sober and therefor remember it.

I think I drink slightly too much, or if not too much, then too often. But I am glad I still have the self awareness to think that. Alcohol deserves respect for the damage it can do physically.and mentally.

That said, I do really enjoy a drink. Wine, Tennents and whisky. I never used to touch it in the house but things change. Kids mean I rarely get to the pub or not as much as I would like so I drink more with Mrs B.

I think reading this thread, and I have always thought, you are either a pub guy or you arent. If you arent you likely just wont see the appeal. When I know I am going to the pub with my pals I am buzzing. Absolutely love perching myself on a stool and getting that first pint in. It feels like my happy place