McKenna
Robertson

McGinn
Armstrong

Forrest
Fraser
McGregor

Griffiths

I quite like McGregor playing out left, comes inside and let's Robertson go past him. Fraser has been good in a free central role for Bournemouth. Griffiths our best striker, probably our only decent striker.

Pretty young, especially across the back. But lots of legs running and energy, a half decent manager, which we lack, should be able to organise them into a decent unit surely.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

As you said your opinion albiet there is a bit of "red blinkers" I suspect.

I`d include McGregor instead of Gordon. 

Tierney for "someone"

Armstrong for Shinnie. 

Forrest for GMS, playing McGregor on left and Fraser in middle of the three.

i don`t know enough about Devlin. I wouldn`t pick Hendry,  I guess that leaves it between Souttar and Mulgrew or Devlin..

Of course there's red blinkers, but we've tried other options in the positions I've placed Dons players, and generally they've failed. I think we should view this as a time of major change, and I think we should be bold.

GMS did more in his short cameo than any of the attacking behind the striker players did. Fraser is clearly the best right winger we have, and the decision comes down to Armstrong or McGregor. Convetion would dictate it would be Armstrong, but he's done absolutely f**k all every time I've seen him play for Scotland. At least McGregor actually creates things, and I think he's best in behind the striker.

I think Armstrong is one of our most important players. Made a noticeable difference from McDonald. He was constantly moving, running in behind, linking the play, taking midfield players away to let the defence have more time on the ball.

The link up between Robertson, McGregor and Armstrong has literally been one of the only positives to take out of our recent games.

14 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Of course there's red blinkers, but we've tried other options in the positions I've placed Dons players, and generally they've failed. I think we should view this as a time of major change, and I think we should be bold.

GMS did more in his short cameo than any of the attacking behind the striker players did. Fraser is clearly the best right winger we have, and the decision comes down to Armstrong or McGregor. Convetion would dictate it would be Armstrong, but he's done absolutely f**k all every time I've seen him play for Scotland. At least McGregor actually creates things, and I think he's best in behind the striker.

I thought Armstrong was pretty much our best player today.  To me he brings a game awareness and composure that none of the other midfielders do. If you`ve never seen him do anything for Scotland then I assume you missed his debut when he was excellent.  he`s played well in other games too and as said I thought he did well today. GMS did well in a very brief cameo and did really well at the goal.  Very happy for him to be on the bench but not a starter for me (so far). Fraser doesn`t really play as a right winger for Bournemouth and has recently excelled in a free role.  All about opinion of course. We actually have some decent wide players in Forrest, Phillips, Fraser (Who I completely accept could be played there) and now perhaps GMS to add to that list. All the more reason not to play a system with wingbacks where wingers are redundant.

7 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Feel free to enlighten me, I did say every time I've seen him play for Scotland. He was anonymous tonight, and numerous recent games.

Armstrong was probably our best - and most important - player for the remainder of Strachan’s final campaign after making his debut against Slovenia. He also had a big influence on changing the game when he came on for the second half against Albania in September.

I really like most of what Shinnie does for Aberdeen, but Armstrong is streets ahead of him as a footballer.

I really didn't see that at all. Tonight for me, the main driving force was McGinn, and I've been fairly critical of him previously, but I'll happily state that he was decent tonight. I thought Armstrong, Forrest, Naismith, and McBurnie were wildly average.

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Armstrong was probably our best - and most important - player for the remainder of Strachan’s final campaign after making his debut against Slovenia. He also had a big influence on changing the game when he came on for the second half against Albania in September.

I really like most of what Shinnie does for Aberdeen, but Armstrong is streets ahead of him as a footballer.

This.

16 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I really didn't see that at all. Tonight for me, the main driving force was McGinn, and I've been fairly critical of him previously, but I'll happily state that he was decent tonight. I thought Armstrong, Forrest, Naismith, and McBurnie were wildly average.

McGinn did fine today and i like him as a player but he`s often careless in possession.  Armstrong is tidy, progressive and largely makes good judgement re when to press and when to keep the ball. Both would be in my team ahead of Shinnie.

I'd play Shinnie (or McTominay) instead of one of the more attacking 3 when we were playing a good team away from home or whatever.

Fraser
McGinn
Shinnie
Armstrong
McGregor

As a midfield 5 would be handy I think. Think we've got to have as much energy in the team as possible, one of our main strengths. Shinnie doesn't start in any other situation though a midfield trio of McGinn/Armstrong and McGregor has to be the way forward.

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I thought Armstrong was pretty much our best player today.  To me he brings a game awareness and composure that none of the other midfielders do. If you`ve never seen him do anything for Scotland then I assume you missed his debut when he was excellent.  GMS did well in a very brief cameo and did really well at the goal.  Very happy for him to be on the bench but not a starter for me (so far). Fraser doesn`t really play as a right winger for Bournemouth and has recently excelled in a free role.  All about opinion of course. We actually have some decent wide players in Forrest, Phillips, Fraser (Who I completely accept could be played there) and now perhaps GMS to add to that list. All the more reason not to play a system with wingbacks where wingers are redundant.

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Fair enough regarding Armstrong, I still didn't see anything of note from him tonight, but if he's been good in the past I'll accept that. I've had a long term apathy towards Scotland, and have only started to watch them recently since some Dons players have been involved.

From his time in Scottish football though, I'd always view him as an attacking midfielder, and I wouldn't be comfortable putting him in beside McGinn. If he's going to play, he needs to play where he's most effective. Now unless he's completely changed his game since moving to England, that position is no.10. If he's going to play there, then it's McGregor that has to drop, because McGregor is not a winger, he's a floater. We have better absolute wingers, Fraser, Forrest, and GMS. It's a choice between the three.

That leaves the issues of centre midfield. It's clear that McDonald isn't good enough. Also haven't seen anything from McTominay or Cairney in this role. It's also clear that McGinn, whilst imo is actually fairly average, is probably our best option in his role. Who plays beside him? Do we shoehorn Armstrong in there, or do we play someone who plays there weekly? I'd go with Shinnie every day of the week. He's not Paul Scholes, but he's 100% effort, and capable of being a lot more disciplined than either McGinn or Armstrong. Ok, he's not going to beat three men and score from 25 metres, but I watch the guy week in and week out, and he epitomises everything the current Scotland squad lacks.

There's a post earlier in this thread paraphrasing ' we're playing too many youngsters, we need to bring them in alongside a stable team'. I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Firstly, we don't have a stable team. Secondly, I fully believe the 20-26 year old players we have are quality, and we need to get them playing together now, and for as long as possible.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Armstrong isn't an attacking midfield player or a number 10. He's a box to box centre midfielder.

He offers more than just the athleticism of the standard box to box player. He absolutely can play that role but he`s also technically good and finds space really well. 

He`s pretty much first pick midfielder for me. Astonishing that McDonald started ahead of him in Israel.

3 hours ago, Illgresi said:

There's a case to be made that every Portugal goal was in part some way O'Donnell's fault.

1) He's miles away from the winger when the ball goes in. Also Robertson partly at fault being slower to react than the goalscorer.

2) Albeit a collective goatfuck, O'Donnell was the marker.

3) Got to accept some blame on the part of McKenna and Shinnie, but the goal came from their left wing, and O'Donnell was nowhere to found. That left Shinnie scrambling to cover on his wrong foot. Can't argue against McKenna playing the boy onside though. One blip in an otherwise strong game from the Dons lads. GMS made up for it though.

Strongest team imo is:

Gordon

Someone Devlin McKenna Robertson

McGinn Shinnie

Fraser McGregor GMS

Griffiths

Right back is a really sore spot. Despite the above, I think O'Donnell is probably the best right back we have. Unless we go down the road of playing Tierney there.

Good god. Aberdeen are shite mate.

6 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

He offers more than just the athleticism of the standard box to box player. He absolutely can play that role but he`s also technically good and finds space really well. 

He`s pretty much first pick midfielder for me. Astonishing that McDonald started ahead of him in Israel.

Aye but Shinnie runs about a lot. 

12 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Shinnie in ahead of Armstrong :lol:

I never know whether Aberdeen fans are trolling, unbelievably blinkered or thick as f**k when they start suggesting sticking their garbage in ahead of some of our best players.

I think Lichtie’s a Celtic fan m8.

8 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Gordon

Someone Devlin McKenna Robertson

McGinn Shinnie

Fraser McGregor GMS

Griffiths

Right back is a really sore spot. Despite the above, I think O'Donnell is probably the best right back we have. Unless we go down the road of playing Tierney there.

That's genuinely dreadful.  That team wouldn't beat Hibs.

Archived