Scotland v Portugal

buddies1877

Who ever the hell is arranging our friendlies deserve to be shot.

They have been absolutely horrendous trips away to South America then Belgium now fucking Portugal.

Are they trying their best to kill off the tartan army making more people lose interest in the national team if so they are certainly going the right way about it.

It’s bad enough at the moment I need to watch St Mirren most weeks

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Who ever the hell is arranging our friendlies deserve to be shot.

Are they trying their best to kill off the tartan army making more people lose interest in the national team i

Nothing to do with friendlies the fact that people are losing interest in our national team .

Its simply because we have a bunch of shit players managed by a fucking clown , who have just participated in one of our most embarrassing defeats  ever 

Nothing to do with friendlies the fact that people are losing interest in our national team .
Its simply because we have a bunch of shit players managed by a fucking clown , who have just participated in one of our most embarrassing defeats  ever 

Really nothing to do with it who wants to turn up and watch any team get humped and hardly going to fill the squad with confidence we should be playing friendlies where we can build on and start to get abit of belief back into the squad and supporters

Not defending the choice of match as it is horrendous but think the nations league makes it harder to find lower ranked opponents. All the D tier groups and every other C tier group, except ours, contains 4 teams. This means they have to play 6 matches (ie 2 per international window) whereas we have only 4 games to fit in, similar to tiers A and B.

This means only tier A or B teams are free to play a friendly. Even with that in mind though Belgium and Portugal are dire choices, guaranteed pumpings. Would probably have been better off without a game.

12 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Not defending the choice of match as it is horrendous but think the nations league makes it harder to find lower ranked opponents. All the D tier groups and every other C tier group, except ours, contains 4 teams. This means they have to play 6 matches (ie 2 per international window) whereas we have only 4 games to fit in, similar to tiers A and B.

This means only tier A or B teams are free to play a friendly. Even with that in mind though Belgium and Portugal are dire choices, guaranteed pumpings. Would probably have been better off without a game.

We have to play someone - it's part of the Nations League rules to avoid any disadvantages. However as noted there were weaker countries than Belgium and Portugal to play.

There are also non-European countries, as it doesn't have to be within UEFA.

Even if we didn't want to travel - even to say North Africa - there were several Central/South Americans over last window, and this time Jordan are visiting Albania and Croatia.

22 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Yeah I hoped we'd be drawn in a 4 team group to avoid this kind of thing. The whole dynamic of Israel then Portugal (competitive, friendly) and Belgium then Albania (friendly, competitive) isn't helping.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah I hoped we'd be drawn in a 4 team group to avoid this kind of thing. The whole dynamic of Israel then Portugal (competitive, friendly) and Belgium then Albania (friendly, competitive) isn't helping.

It`s not helped that we are absolute shite and have appointed a manager way past his sell by date  either.

Interesting to see what Israel and Albania, in the same scenario as ourselves, have done:

Scotland arranged to play Belgium (H) and Portugal (H)
Albania arranged to play Jordan (H) and Wales (H)
Israel arranged to play Northern Ireland (A) and tbc

Clearly we've gone after much the harder games, which may have been unwise.

29 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interesting to see what Israel and Albania, in the same scenario as ourselves, have done:

Or given we beat Albania maybe not. We are also top of the group :lol:

The SFA aren't exactly rolling in cash, and with the greatest of respect to Jordan or Chad, you'll get more people willing to part with more money, and more from TV companies, for the prospect of Ronaldo at Hampden.

8 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

we should be playing friendlies where we can build on and start to get abit of belief back into the squad and supporters

By this , I’m assuming you mean teams we might play well against and maybe have a chance of beating.?

Much lesser teams,maybe 50 or so places behind us in FIFA rankings similar to the standard of Israel for example ?

I think your suggestion may be slightly flawed . 

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

No, we've gone after a "bumper" (lol) payday at Hampden by getting a big side in.  Given the sides that were available to play, I'd say that's pretty clear.  I'd almost respect them more if that's the case too, as if they chose Portugal for any kind of footballing reasons, then they're fucking mental.

9 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Let's have a sweepstake for how many call offs there will be. Dobbie to lead the line on Sunday. Would probably not be the worst option either....

You can have me as the first call off. I have tickets but I'm simply not going to bother going to the game now.

21 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

You can have me as the first call off. I have tickets but I'm simply not going to bother going to the game now.

This is exactly what everyone has to do. The only way to make the Sfa take notice is if they think their gonna lose money. I'd love for less than 10000 to turn up. If you're willing to travel in the pishing rain on a Sunday night in November and pay 35 quid for a friendly after that shite then you and McLeish deserve each other

Archived