Total nonsense fans of your club have said

17 hours ago, AuAl said:

Surprising amount of roasters we have in our support isn't itemoji23.png used to hate hearing about how we were "below our level" while in league 1...despite the fact it had been our level for the vast majority of the past 16/17 years

People saying League 1 is our level is the one that annoys me. Until 2006 we had never spent more than two consecutive seasons in the third tier. Hardly 'our level' unless the last decade and a half trumps the previous 90+ years.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not wanting to back Northfield but scoring  1 goal in a relatively barren spell (by Dobbie standards)  can hardly be classed as  hitting form again. 
I wouldn't say it was hitting form again, but to suggest a striker's goals have dried up when said striker scored 3 days previously is an utterly ridiculous comment.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Fae_the_ said:
Not wanting to back Northfield but scoring  1 goal in a relatively barren spell (by Dobbie standards)  can hardly be classed as  hitting form again. 

I wouldn't say it was hitting form again, but to suggest a striker's goals have dried up when said striker scored 3 days previously is an utterly ridiculous comment.

I think Northfield  said Dobbie is off form now,  not that the goals have dried up.  

I think Northfield  said Dobbie is off form now,  not that the goals have dried up.  
Off form and threat gone. How can someone suggest there isn't a threat when the guy scored in his last outing?

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 minutes ago, Fae_the_ said:

Off form and threat gone. How can someone suggest there isn't a threat when the guy scored in his last outing?

And it was a worldy of a strike at that, not a tap in.

Before that game he'd gone a whole 3 games without scoring (and scored a hat trick in the one before that). I appreciate by his standards this season more than one game might be viewed as a "barren spell" but it was hardly some sort of months long crisis!

1 hour ago, Iain said:

People saying League 1 is our level is the one that annoys me. Until 2006 we had never spent more than two consecutive seasons in the third tier. Hardly 'our level' unless the last decade and a half trumps the previous 90+ years.

The last decade and a half are more relevant tbf. 

This. Folk who bang on about past successes as if it has any bearing on their club's current situation is definitely a good entry for the "Calling Cards of Morons" thread.

21 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
26 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

This. Folk who bang on about past successes as if it has any bearing on their club's current situation is definitely a good entry for the "Calling Cards of Morons" thread.

If you look at too small a sample size then little things can have an outsized effect. "Our level" is a pretty nebulous concept at the best of times though.

In the era of Frankie goes to Hollywood and sparse crowds at Palmerston one particular piece of spectator banter “Stoke it up Billy Sim, you’re riding the love train!” has always stayed with me for its general inexplicability. Still unsure to this day if it was a reference to something other than the football.

Back when we had Partick Thistle’s cast off, Ian McDonald, there were two old guys near the front of the Cowshed who would blame everyone for anything - except McDonald. The irony being that he was almost completely ineffective.

Example - McDonald plays a pass, many yards behind the intended target Dave McCabe, and it goes out for a throw. Old guy - “Aw waken, up McCabe”.

Seemed to always get a game because McGraw thought he was good at breaking up the play (true, but for both teams) and was apparently the comedian of the squad.

Gony stick up for fellow pish talkers here!
“he’s shite cause he only scores goals” sounds stupid on its own bit its always used as a short hand version of the mouth-full it really means which is “ he’s shite cause he only scores easy poachers goals when we’re on top of teams but goes completely missing when the chips are down and theres work to be done” a fair criticism of someone like kris boyd who got found right out in england.

11 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Gony stick up for fellow pish talkers here!
“he’s shite cause he only scores goals” sounds stupid on its own bit its always used as a short hand version of the mouth-full it really means which is “ he’s shite cause he only scores easy poachers goals when we’re on top of teams but goes completely missing when the chips are down and theres work to be done” a fair criticism of someone like kris boyd who got found right out in england.

The other side of this is idiots who judge forward players strictly on goals. We've had two forwards in recent years (Quitongo/Oliver) who done/do a great job creating space, winning the ball back, creating chances, etc. but because they don't hammer in 10-15 goals a season some folk just ignore their use. Our win/loss ratio with one or both starting over the last few years is streets ahead of games where they both sit out. There's a good reason for that.

Back when we had Partick Thistle’s cast off, Ian McDonald, there were two old guys near the front of the Cowshed who would blame everyone for anything - except McDonald. The irony being that he was almost completely ineffective.
Example - McDonald plays a pass, many yards behind the intended target Dave McCabe, and it goes out for a throw. Old guy - “Aw waken, up McCabe”.
Seemed to always get a game because McGraw thought he was good at breaking up the play (true, but for both teams) and was apparently the comedian of the squad.

That's the exact opposite of his time at Firhill when he was blamed for everything. The first Firhill scapegoat that I can recall.

Yes but during our time in league 1 our performances were worthy of a league 1 club. We were at our 'level' during that time. We were there on merit.
Any time we finished 7th or 8th in that league we deserved to finish there.
Always hated the "natural level" pish, the billybigbaws attitude of many of our fans when in league 1 was annoying.

16 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

That's the exact opposite of his time at Firhill when he was blamed for everything. The first Firhill scapegoat that I can recall.

His inclusion every week mystified the majority of the fans. This was one of McGraw’s more stubborn tactics (actually describing him as a “player’s player” - whatever the f**k that is). It was second only to his ignoring the weekly cries of “Get the subs on McGraw”.

The other side of this is idiots who judge forward players strictly on goals. We've had two forwards in recent years (Quitongo/Oliver) who done/do a great job creating space, winning the ball back, creating chances, etc. but because they don't hammer in 10-15 goals a season some folk just ignore their use. Our win/loss ratio with one or both starting over the last few years is streets ahead of games where they both sit out. There's a good reason for that.
There weren't seriously folk among your support who didn't rate Quitongo shirley?

Archived